Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Young brits moving to cyprus any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Young brits moving to cyprus any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

jadealex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young brits moving to cyprus any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Hello...

Me and my partner are new to this but have been on and off planning to move to cyprus for the past year, with a lot of hard thinking we have finally decided that it is for us and its something we both really wanting to do!

I currently work for british airways and can be transferred to a local office based in Nicosia but my partner is a qualified flexographic printer and we are really finding it difficult to find him a job, he is willing to make a career change and good job sites recommendation would be appreciated.

We have been searching for apartments and have seen a number of findaproperty.com is there any local site which may be better?

Any other advise will be greatly appreciated...Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

YvonnePC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young brits moving to cyprus any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Originally Posted by jadealex
Hello...

Me and my partner are new to this but have been on and off planning to move to cyprus for the past year, with a lot of hard thinking we have finally decided that it is for us and its something we both really wanting to do!

I currently work for british airways and can be transferred to a local office based in Nicosia but my partner is a qualified flexographic printer and we are really finding it difficult to find him a job, he is willing to make a career change and good job sites recommendation would be appreciated.

We have been searching for apartments and have seen a number of findaproperty.com is there any local site which may be better?

Any other advise will be greatly appreciated...Thanks
Hi Jadealex,
At the moment it is hard to find a job in Cyprus. Just like in other European countries it won't be easy. Jobs are not well paid, you have to think about that one too. I haven't come across good job sites, because in Cyprus it is better to know someone inside a company rather than to be qualified to do the job properly.
Since you can be transferred to a local office in Nicosia does that automatically say you would like to live in Nicosia or are you open for other areas/places too?
Regards, YvonnePc
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

jadealex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young brits moving to cyprus any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your reply! I understand with the job front as wev been advised this previous...we're considering visiting for a few days to just search for jobs for my partner..in regards to where we wanting to live we are very open..I don't mind travelling at all, we are wanting somewhere that has the essentials, shops, supermarkets ect
Old Feb 14th 2012, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

YvonnePC is an unknown quantity at this point

It is the best thing to come over for several days and to go jobhunting Hopefully you will be lucky.

If you get positioned in Nicosia for your job and you don't mind driving you should think about the driving minutes:
Nicosia - Paphos +/- 90 minutes
Nicosia - Limassol +/- 35 minutes
Nicosia - Larnaca +/- 35 minutes
Minutes depends on where you need to be and can vary a lot due to traffic and your driving style.

About the areas:
Larnaca and Paphos both got an airport. So that will be easy when it comes up to travelling by plane and collecting family and relatives
The beaches in the Larnaca area are better than Paphos beaches but apart from that I prefer Paphos as the area/landscape is much prettier and greener. Polis is close to Paphos and has a breathtaking coastline. Paphos forest is magnificent.
Limassol will also have everything you want but it is very hectic. And Nicosia is absolutely horrible to be in. In the summer Nicosia will run empty because everyone is looking for cooler places, because it will heat up quickly!
And more to the east you get the tourist places which will be loaded in the summer, i don't know if you prefer that?
But it really depends on personal preferences. I prefer Paphos as you can read
Cost of living will be about the same in each area. Prices might drop a bit in the restaurants during winter, but in summer they will go up again.

Have looked for information about the areas on internet? What do you need to have closeby to get a comfortable living?