Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Why I would not live in Cyprus

Why I would not live in Cyprus

Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I would not live in Cyprus

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
Your point of view is very narrow and it is based on the fact that you chose to live in an area which has a lot of Brits. Peyia is well known to be little Britain and many of the Brits who live there do in fact act as if they own the island.
It is just one village among many in the Paphos area and if you move away from that expat enclave you will find that in fact most of us have integrated well with our Cypriot neighbours and are very happy here.
We do not look down on tourists as we know full well that this is the main income for our friends and neighbours and when we go abroad on holiday we are tourists ourselves.
I have lived here for over 12 years and do not foresee me ever returning to the UK.
As for learning Greek, why would we not make the effort to speak the language of our adopted country?
I find in my experiences that some migrants often do "stick together" when living in foreign countries, they usually settle in certain area's because word of mouth gets around and they head to the same area....whether its for comfort or to join friends/family I am not sure. Personally whenever we (my family) go overseas either for work, holidays or to live we really do not want to be surrounded by that type of environment, we like to have a good mix of locals and other foreigners and we have always tried to get by on speaking a few words of the "local language" whenever we can. I suppose it's all down to the person really but there really is no excuse for being rude/arrogant and ignorant of another's culture.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 4:49 am
Just Joined

M. Hughes is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I would count myself very lucky not to have come into contact with MR JOHN WILLIAMS, as he seems to be a very small minded person. Not only has he got a very big chip on his shoulder i think he has a mouth to match. SO what if Brits Abroad want to take their dogs out with them, at least they have had the decency to either take the dog with them or otherwise give a stray a good home. As for learning their language, it shows to most Greeks that At least they are trying to join into their society and not expect them to have to talk to us in English all the time. So yes I think it is as well you did leave and give all the other wrong type of ex pats a chance.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

I think John Williams has made a valid comment. He made his choice and thats it. We who live here in the Paphos Region all know where the "Little England" areas are. The major one is 100% Peyia. However if the people who live there are happy then so be it. I like my quite area and all the locals know me and my wife.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

JohnWilliams is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by M. Hughes
I think I would count myself very lucky not to have come into contact with MR JOHN WILLIAMS, as he seems to be a very small minded person. Not only has he got a very big chip on his shoulder i think he has a mouth to match. SO what if Brits Abroad want to take their dogs out with them, at least they have had the decency to either take the dog with them or otherwise give a stray a good home. As for learning their language, it shows to most Greeks that At least they are trying to join into their society and not expect them to have to talk to us in English all the time. So yes I think it is as well you did leave and give all the other wrong type of ex pats a chance.
SO what if Brits Abroad want to take their dogs out with them, at least they have had the decency to either take the dog with them or otherwise give a stray a good home

Talk about missing the point!!

Anyone reading your post without reading mine, would be convinced that I was anti-dog, in which case I would be criticising 3/4 of the population of the UK, never mind a few ex-pats in Cyprus.

Try reading my post. The dog point was: why they always take the dog to the pub with them.

or otherwise give a stray a good home.

And very commendable too. Every dog I ever owned, bar one, was a rescue.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 11:26 am
Just Joined

No I didn't miss the point. I was just trying to make the point that there is as far as i can see <snip> and that is YOU. What gives you the right to say who can and can't live here in a big villa or small apartment, drive a big car or a small car. People have the choice. We could have had a large villa if we so wanted, but for our own reasons chose a small bungalow so that we didn't have to spend all of our time cleaning and so on when we could be at the pub with our dogs. I hope I have made my point.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 26th 2017 at 12:00 pm. Reason: Site Rule 1 - make your point without the personal insults please.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

No I didn't miss the point. I was just trying to make the point that there is as far as i can see <snip> and that is YOU. What gives you the right to say who can and can't live here in a big villa or small apartment, drive a big car or a small car. People have the choice. We could have had a large villa if we so wanted, but for our own reasons chose a small bungalow so that we didn't have to spend all of our time cleaning and so on when we could be at the pub with our dogs. I hope I have made my point.
.... when we could be at the pub with our dogs.

Ah! So you do take the dogs to the pub with you all the time!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 26th 2017 at 12:00 pm. Reason: Insult removed from quoted post
Old Jan 26th 2017, 6:48 am
Just Joined

You really don't get it do you? <snip> if you think we take the dog's to the pub every time we go, they take us.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 26th 2017 at 12:00 pm. Reason: Site Rule 1 - make your point without the personal insults please.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

You really don't get it do you? You really must be thick if you think we take the dog's to the pub every time we go, they take us.
Love it. Ha Ha. When we had our Lab he took us everywhere.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnWilliams

We don't go to pubs but we do go for coffee or a glass of wine at tavernas etc after a walk with our dog. If we thought it annoyed other customers we would not do it but everyone makes a fuss of him and he loves the attention.
We have made some lovely friends because of our dog.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Talagirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
We have made some lovely friends because of our dog.
Absolutely - we often say Hello to the dog first, ask the humans if we can make a fuss of it and then get round to speaking to them. Made lots of friends this way and the dogs always remember us!
Old Jan 26th 2017, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Come on John, let's get real! There's nothing wrong with a chap(s) who takes his/their dogs to a pub occasionally, or even on a regular basis.
I had an uncle in UK who used to take his dog on every visit he made to the pub, and those I recall were frequent. My aunt used to comment in all seriousness that had he not taken the dog, numerous times he would never have found his way home again.
If those Brits in Cyprus are happy with their dogs in the pub, have as you state, "No real money", or "Live in tiny villas or appartments", and are content with their life, I say, "Good on them". As for being plonkers, well some of my most favourite characters (fictitious Rodney Trotter, and in real-life) are absolute plonkers. And I love 'em for it.
I've never taken a dog into a pub in my life, but I'd be the first to agree that just walking a dog - as I do daily, opens up numerous occasions when complete strangers just stop to pet the dog - and have a chat. They'd never, or rarely do that if I were on my own. I'm sure those 'doggy' expats find a similar reaction in their pubs.
I may be wrong but you sound somewhat like my wife. She likes to think she's a saint, and that everyone should be like her. I work overtime just trying to tell her that her halo has slipped again, and obscuring her true vision on life.
The highest result of education is tolerance. - Helen Keller
Old Jan 27th 2017, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Come on John, let's get real! There's nothing wrong with a chap(s) who takes his/their dogs to a pub occasionally, or even on a regular basis.
I had an uncle in UK who used to take his dog on every visit he made to the pub, and those I recall were frequent. My aunt used to comment in all seriousness that had he not taken the dog, numerous times he would never have found his way home again.
If those Brits in Cyprus are happy with their dogs in the pub, have as you state, "No real money", or "Live in tiny villas or appartments", and are content with their life, I say, "Good on them". As for being plonkers, well some of my most favourite characters (fictitious Rodney Trotter, and in real-life) are absolute plonkers. And I love 'em for it.
I've never taken a dog into a pub in my life, but I'd be the first to agree that just walking a dog - as I do daily, opens up numerous occasions when complete strangers just stop to pet the dog - and have a chat. They'd never, or rarely do that if I were on my own. I'm sure those 'doggy' expats find a similar reaction in their pubs.
I may be wrong but you sound somewhat like my wife. She likes to think she's a saint, and that everyone should be like her. I work overtime just trying to tell her that her halo has slipped again, and obscuring her true vision on life.
The highest result of education is tolerance. - Helen Keller
attempt to respond
Old Jan 27th 2017, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

attempt to respond
Hi Tweedpipe,

Please do not misinterpret this.

I tried several times to post yesterday but kept getting a message "security token missing"

Hence attempt to respond test.

Perhaps moderators can explain?
Old Jan 27th 2017, 6:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tweedpipe,

I tried several times to post yesterday but kept getting a message "security token missing"

There were some intermittent problems with the site over the last 24 hours I gather, that's probably why you couldn't post.

Incidentally we always take the family dog to the pub when in the UK, the dog enjoys it immensely and always makes friends! And in a former life when my partner and I were owned by an insane cat, he used to accompany us to the pub as well - he had a large fan club who would feed him beer and peanuts
Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tweedpipe,

Hi John,
Almost certainly caused by witchcraft, as a result of the AOCDPL (Association of Cyprus Dog & Pub Lovers) sticking pins in a JW voodoo-doll effigy.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.