Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Well, here we are, and we can't find a job...

Well, here we are, and we can't find a job...

Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Well, here we are, and we can't find a job...

Hi there,

We've been in Cyprus 2 weeks now (me, hubby and 2 kids) but my husband can't find work. He's a Warehouse Manager/ Stock controller/ Logistics Coordinator and there just isn't any such work here. I emailed his CV to a hundred companies with possible warehouses in Cyprus today but there's been no response yet. When job hunting I can see there's quite a few jobs I myself can apply for but as I have a little baby I was really hoping to be able to be at home with him most of the time. Now it looks as though I might have to be the breadwinner while Husband is the mummy. I'm gutted. I don't understand why I can't find ANY jobs to apply to for Husband though. Any advice?

Thanks Xx
Old Mar 21st 2013, 10:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well, here we are, and we can't find a job...

Originally Posted by Claire333
Hi there,

We've been in Cyprus 2 weeks now (me, hubby and 2 kids) but my husband can't find work. He's a Warehouse Manager/ Stock controller/ Logistics Coordinator and there just isn't any such work here. I emailed his CV to a hundred companies with possible warehouses in Cyprus today but there's been no response yet. When job hunting I can see there's quite a few jobs I myself can apply for but as I have a little baby I was really hoping to be able to be at home with him most of the time. Now it looks as though I might have to be the breadwinner while Husband is the mummy. I'm gutted. I don't understand why I can't find ANY jobs to apply to for Husband though. Any advice?

Thanks Xx
2 weeks isn't very long really. I know people in Australia who have spent many months or even years looking for work after arriving. Didn't you check out the job market before moving?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

susiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nice

well, i would think its a bit early season for alot of jobs (without taking into account the current financial situation !!! ) ... maybe you guys need to diversify, does your hubby speak greek as that would help in the job market - maybe head into tourism/resturant work? - but there are alot of people chasing few jobs...
which area are you ? most jobs are either in the local papers or word of mouth not so much online.
good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 10:47 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

This is not an uncommon story , forums for most of the popular holiday destinations, Cyprus, Spain Portugal frequently feature such postings.
Sympathetic as you may be you have to ask why do people uproot them selves from the UK , move to a another country and expect to find work in the middle of the deepest global recession in over a 100 years.
Unless you have an assured income speak the local language and have a skill that it not available locally then maybe you should stay in the UK.
Being on holiday and living in the same place are two very different things.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:13 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
This is not an uncommon story , forums for most of the popular holiday destinations, Cyprus, Spain Portugal frequently feature such postings.
Sympathetic as you may be you have to ask why do people uproot them selves from the UK , move to a another country and expect to find work in the middle of the deepest global recession in over a 100 years.
Unless you have an assured income speak the local language and have a skill that it not available locally then maybe you should stay in the UK.
Being on holiday and living in the same place are two very different things.
I don't wish to pour more on to the OP's woes, but I do have to agree with you.

I have posted in other places similarly - I cannot understand why no one would move from Kent to Cornwall or West Lothian without ensuring there is a job waiting for them, places for the kids, etc. but seem to think that they can do it successfully when moving to another country.
In fact I am sure they would not do such a thing when moving to Malaysia or Hong Kong or even Australia, Canada, Venezuala.
So why when making a move to a friendly European country, even one much visited by holidaymakers ??

The job situation throughout the European bloc is well known by now - its been here for about 5 years now and isnt getting any better. I know people here in Spain with degrees up to their armpits without jobs.

So Claire, is there any chance of hubby setting up his own business ?? The holiday season will be starting shortly so if he has some transferrable skills there may be locals who may be willing to take on someone for a few months. However, in the short term, if money is needed then it may have to be you that becomes the breadwinner, albeit for a short period. This will make the time with the children more precious to you all. But this will get you out of the house and in a position where you may be able to see over the parapet those unadvertised jobs that would suit hubby.
But remember that the UK's workforce are exceedingly well paid, something that doesn't apply in many parts of Europe. Here in Spain my BH is on the same salary as 4 years ago, which was 25% less than in the UK.

Hope it works out, but I think it is going to be hard for a while.
kind regards
`

ps - quick thought, Cyprus is a UK and NATO military base - has he made contact with the relevent authorities there for local jobs ?
It may well be useful to look at UK employers such as the RAF who may be advertising in the UK for people out there, so try the international job agencies

Last edited by Domino; Mar 21st 2013 at 11:17 am. Reason: additional information
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

I' m sorry but I really find it hard to be sympathetic to people with children who will gamble with their futures by moving to a strange country without the assurance of a very well paid job to come.
It is the children who will suffer the most with their lives turned upside down and then when things don't work out having to be uprooted again when you have to return to the Uk where at least you can get help from the state if you can't find work.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Austrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
I' m sorry but I really find it hard to be sympathetic to people with children who will gamble with their futures by moving to a strange country without the assurance of a very well paid job to come.
It is the children who will suffer the most with their lives turned upside down and then when things don't work out having to be uprooted again when you have to return to the Uk where at least you can get help from the state if you can't find work.
----------------------------------

Without knowing the circumstances that they came from, what makes you think that their life in crime ridden UK would have been better than it now will be in Cyprus......

Good on them for having the guts to attempt to do what lots of others only talk about.
Good luck with the job hunting, be prepared to do pretty much anything unless you speak perfect greek, ie cleaning, dishwashing etc. andremember the UK will still be there if it doesn't work out.

regards
Old Mar 24th 2013, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Austrobrit
----------------------------------

Without knowing the circumstances that they came from, what makes you think that their life in crime ridden UK would have been better than it now will be in Cyprus......

Good on them for having the guts to attempt to do what lots of others only talk about.
Good luck with the job hunting, be prepared to do pretty much anything unless you speak perfect greek, ie cleaning, dishwashing etc. andremember the UK will still be there if it doesn't work out.

regards
I know that they have come here with two children and no jobs. That is enough for me having lived in Cyprus for 9 years to know that they took a very very risky chance with their childrens futures. If they do not find work here they will get no help from the system. Cypriots who have lived here all their lives cannot get dole after 6 months if they lose thier jobs. Hundreds of local families in the Paphos area are now relying on charitable donations of food and clothes which are being collected by a lady who set up a charity at the end of last year when she heard of the plight of these families.
What I say may seem harsh but I have seen so many young families arrive on these shores with no jobs and go back with their tails between their legs worse off than when they came.
These people obviously did not do their research before coming here or they would know that there simply are not the jobs here and those there are are very badly paid, not enough to bring up children on.
At least in the UK ifyou have children you can get assistance from the government, here you cannot. Health care is not free unless you have paid into the social fund and health insurance for a family is expensive. So when one of the children gets sick and there is no money to pay for doctors what will happen?

Austrobrit you may slam me for speaking the truth but without knowing what the situation is here in Cyprus you really should not be encouraging people to take chances with their childrens futures.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Austrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really nice

I know that they have come here with two children and no jobs. That is enough for me having lived in Cyprus for 9 years to know that they took a very very risky chance with their childrens futures. If they do not find work here they will get no help from the system. Cypriots who have lived here all their lives cannot get dole after 6 months if they lose thier jobs. Hundreds of local families in the Paphos area are now relying on charitable donations of food and clothes which are being collected by a lady who set up a charity at the end of last year when she heard of the plight of these families.
What I say may seem harsh but I have seen so many young families arrive on these shores with no jobs and go back with their tails between their legs worse off than when they came.
These people obviously did not do their research before coming here or they would know that there simply are not the jobs here and those there are are very badly paid, not enough to bring up children on.
At least in the UK ifyou have children you can get assistance from the government, here you cannot. Health care is not free unless you have paid into the social fund and health insurance for a family is expensive. So when one of the children gets sick and there is no money to pay for doctors what will happen?

Austrobrit you may slam me for speaking the truth but without knowing what the situation is here in Cyprus you really should not be encouraging people to take chances with their childrens futures.

Don't recall having "slammed" you, just thought you were being presumptuous.

Healthcare in EU countries that have signed bilateral healthcare agreements with the UK (Cyprus is one of them) does make provision for Unemployed and their dependents.
I have no doubt that lots of budding Expats end up having to return to the UK when their plans and dreams fail to materialise. My point was that the UK will still be there when they get to that point and that its better (in my opinion) to strive for the dream and fall short than not to try and stay in safe old UK.
Apparently failing builds character...............

Personally spent years and years living as an Expat in Greece, yep I know its not Cyprus but it was Crete so in a way it is similar.

Anyway as said before, good luck to anyone who goes for it..
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road

The question of employment opportunities is asked so frequently on forums such as these and almost always, the replies are the same where doom and gloom is generally the case. It seems odd that one, and even more so, a family will uproot from the UK to seek a better life in other places. These days, such improvements are rare, without guaranteed employment, and why anyone thinks the situation will be different for them is beyond me. We all live in hope I know, but with the current climate in countries such as Spain, Greece, Cyprus and Portugal, such actions of upheaval from particularly the UK can only result in a lesser quality of life in the future. All should take note of what is said on these forums.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Austrobrit
Don't recall having "slammed" you, just thought you were being presumptuous.

Healthcare in EU countries that have signed bilateral healthcare agreements with the UK (Cyprus is one of them) does make provision for Unemployed and their dependents.
I have no doubt that lots of budding Expats end up having to return to the UK when their plans and dreams fail to materialise. My point was that the UK will still be there when they get to that point and that its better (in my opinion) to strive for the dream and fall short than not to try and stay in safe old UK.
Apparently failing builds character...............

Personally spent years and years living as an Expat in Greece, yep I know its not Cyprus but it was Crete so in a way it is similar.

Anyway as said before, good luck to anyone who goes for it..
It is obvious that you know nothing about how things in work Cyprus.
Healthcare IS NOT FREE for Eu citizens here. It may be in other EU countries but the only non Cypriots who get healthcare free here are those who are on state retirement pensions and t hose who are in work and paying into the social fund.
To encourage people with young children to move here in the current economic climate is totally irresponsible. Have you actually been watching any news in the past week?
Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road

To encourage people with young children to move here in the current economic climate is totally irresponsible. Have you actually been watching any news in the past week?
Agree 100%.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Claire333
Hi there,

Thanks Xx
If you've been watching the news lately, then you're probably on a 'plane home by now. Given that Cyprus' main industry is about to be looted and destroyed, the rest of the economy cannot be far behind. Realistically, it's unlikely you'll find any sort of job.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Claire333's other posts make for interesting reading. :0
Old Mar 25th 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Claire333's other posts make for interesting reading. :0
I agree, I think this person is a troll

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.