Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

TRNC - info please?!

TRNC - info please?!

Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:22 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default TRNC - info please?!

Greetings from Spain. I just wanted to pop in here to ask some general, basic q's about Turkish Cyprus. Is there anyone on here who's living there?

My b/f is Turkish Cypriot by birth (although brought up for the majority of his life in the UK) and his elderly mother lives in Famagusta (though she too spent most of her adult life in the UK). He also has wider family living in TRNC. As he's an only child, he is becoming increasingly concerned about his Mum being alone there and so is contemplating a move there (although this is not something that's going to be accomplished any time soon as we have properties to dispose of here in Spain as well as elderly dogs that we want to allow to live out the last of their years here).

I have only ever visited Southern Cyprus (and that was about 10 years ago) so have no idea as yet what TRNC is really like, especially for a woman. Obviously I shall be visiting the place for myself at some point but in the meantime I'd be really grateful if somebody who's there, on the ground, could kindly give me an indication of TRNC life in general, particularly from a female perspective! We have both been in Spain for around a decade and one of the things that gets to us here is the bureaucracy. Is this going to be the same in TRNC?! The thought of having to start from scratch with yet another language, when I've only just mastered Spanish lol, is also something that freaks me out a little. Turkish don't appear easy!

Any info gratefully received!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:49 pm
Banned

flight-holiday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TRNC - info please?!

HillyBilly I hope I can help a little, please feel free to contact me off board I can try to help a little.
1] A lot different to the South.
2] A lot of UK expats live in the TRNC many have no Turkish at all.
3] You will find it easy to visit either from Spain via the south or Turkey using your EU passport.
4] Every country in the world has a lot of bureaucracy.
5] The people are friendly and helpful
6] There are quite a number of non Cypriot / Turk women living there on their own as anywhere it takes time to find them.
7] Your boyfriend needs to check out the position in one sense more than you because he may still be liable for conscription.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:37 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you v much for your reply. The info re conscription is especially er, interesting Looks like he would have to "buy" himself out of that particular problem! Thanks again.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:06 am
Banned

flight-holiday is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi HillyBilly Msg 3 - It depends on how long your boyfriend stays and also his age - you would need to talk with the authorities. Probably best making a quick call to the representative in Bedford Square as they will have up to date information and can guide you as to whom to contact in North Cyprus.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Greetings from Spain. I just wanted to pop in here to ask some general, basic q's about Turkish Cyprus. Is there anyone on here who's living there?

My b/f is Turkish Cypriot by birth (although brought up for the majority of his life in the UK) and his elderly mother lives in Famagusta (though she too spent most of her adult life in the UK). He also has wider family living in TRNC. As he's an only child, he is becoming increasingly concerned about his Mum being alone there and so is contemplating a move there (although this is not something that's going to be accomplished any time soon as we have properties to dispose of here in Spain as well as elderly dogs that we want to allow to live out the last of their years here).

I have only ever visited Southern Cyprus (and that was about 10 years ago) so have no idea as yet what TRNC is really like, especially for a woman. Obviously I shall be visiting the place for myself at some point but in the meantime I'd be really grateful if somebody who's there, on the ground, could kindly give me an indication of TRNC life in general, particularly from a female perspective! We have both been in Spain for around a decade and one of the things that gets to us here is the bureaucracy. Is this going to be the same in TRNC?! The thought of having to start from scratch with yet another language, when I've only just mastered Spanish lol, is also something that freaks me out a little. Turkish don't appear easy!

Any info gratefully received!
I lived in the TRNC for 8 years, my sister, brother and mother are there now (Catalkoy area) We are all British, my sister and partner have various businesses there and I had my own business. You will be fine ..there is absolutely no problem from a female point of view ( no restrictions re dress etc)
But as FH pointed out you need to check for your partner re conscription but you can definately buy your way out of it
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:53 pm
Jkh
Just Joined

Jkh is an unknown quantity at this point

It is poorer, scruffier and more shabby than the south. However and unlike the south, it has not yet lost that weird charm. As your b/f is a TC, then you may not be subject to the pettifoggings regarding residency such as blood testing and the rest, nor the eternal wrangling over land...however should you want a broad range a views, both positive and negative I suggest visiting the cyprus44 forum (inhabited, mostly by upset Brits in the north).
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:34 pm
Structural Surveyor

Cheers...already on that forum ;o)
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Max786 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have visited TRNC many times now with my turkish cypriot husband.

I found it to be clean, friendlier than the south and cheaper. Crime rate is low, in fact on my first visit I was surprised to see my mother-inlaw did not even lock the house when we went out.

I am considering a move to the north. You can buy your way out of the conscription.
You will still need to go through the red tape to register for residency as having a boyfriend who is turkish cypriot will not make you it easier for you.
As with every new move you have to do as much research as you possiable can.
Good Luck