Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

STARTING NEW LIFE IN CYPRUS

STARTING NEW LIFE IN CYPRUS

Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Troym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the rough
Talking STARTING NEW LIFE IN CYPRUS

Hi there guys,
My partner and and Myself are moving to Cypus (Paphos) to start a new life.

We have grandparents over there in Paphos, living there for over 7years. We have been told we can live with them to start our new lifes however, we need new jobs for income to support us. We are comin over with about £3000+ after sellin all our belongings and only taking our clothes. We maybe rushing but we need a new start away from problems here in the uk.

We give ourselves about 6months period in which we can get jobs and move from our grandparents to our own apartment/house.

We need to know any good job sites for Car mechanics and Wedding planners/receptionests etc.

I have a level 3 car mechanic/mot certificate and experience and my partner has care exsperience and a level 2 childcare and nanny experience. She is looking to start a career in wedding planning. Starting a online course when we move to gain a quilification in wedding planning.

Any ideas or advice? We are willing to hear from all.

Thank you

Last edited by Troym1987; Aug 29th 2011 at 1:19 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Stevienic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: STARTING NEW LIFE IN CYPRUS

If you don't mind me saying it seems as if you've jumped into this with very little planning - Paphos is not very well suited to the careers you've chosen. For wedding planning demographically you'd need to be in the east where the majority of tourist weddings take place. Paphos is stereotyped (somewhat unfairly) as the place where retirees go - it is also an intensely competative sector and unless you have a well thought out business plan you stand little chance of success. Similarly with car mechanics - you'd be better off in Limassol or Larnaca to serve the immigrant market (who are now beginning to move from bycycles to cheaper cars (which often break down) the more affluent west mostly have their (newer) cars serviced by the big garages, and again the jobs market is saturated with cheaper labour from eastern europe (most highly qualified and willing to work for peanuts). I would also make sure you keep an emergency fund for return travel in case things don't work out.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

positive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to all

Hi, i have to say that i agree with stevienic, although not living in Cyprus but have researched quite a bit and read many other posts on this subject, wedding planners are in abundance either privately or linked to hotels i think. We noticed this when my daughter was thinking of getting married in Paphos. Also sometimes you also have to consider the fact that if you have problems, you can take these with you and relocating isn't always the answer. I think someone has already said the grass isn't always greener, but,hey if you do decide to do it good luck.. But i definately agree with stevienic, research is vital before you do move and do make sure you have finance to return if need be.
Best wishes Pam.
Good luck.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

The money you are bringing to Cyprus is not enough to see you through. There are not many jobs around, and wedding planners are in abundance.

In my opinion, you should at least visit Cyprus first, to see if you like it, and search out the jobs possibilities. There is a lot of competition for work, so you have to be ready to work for a low salary.

Getting away from the UK and starting a new life somewhere else sounds good in theory, but you have to do more research.

Have you ever lived with your grandparents before? There will be a big age difference, and they probably went to Cyprus to have an easier life.

Paphos is not a good location to seek work. You should try Limassol, Nicosia or Larnaca as these cities are year round places, so offer much more opportunities.

Sorry to put a damper on things, but still wish you good luck!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Troym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by zygiman
The money you are bringing to Cyprus is not enough to see you through. There are not many jobs around, and wedding planners are in abundance.

In my opinion, you should at least visit Cyprus first, to see if you like it, and search out the jobs possibilities. There is a lot of competition for work, so you have to be ready to work for a low salary.

Getting away from the UK and starting a new life somewhere else sounds good in theory, but you have to do more research.

Have you ever lived with your grandparents before? There will be a big age difference, and they probably went to Cyprus to have an easier life.

Paphos is not a good location to seek work. You should try Limassol, Nicosia or Larnaca as these cities are year round places, so offer much more opportunities.

Sorry to put a damper on things, but still wish you good luck!
Hi there thank you all for your comments, just to say we will have more than we stated thats just a rough low amount. and Paphos I have found has loads of jobs atm for waitressing, cleaners etc. (this will do, to start us off). My partner has lived with his grandparents b4 yes and know how they tick. it was their idea as well for us to stay with them for a while to start jobs etc. Paphos is only a temp as in we are goin there to start with, we may move but for the first few months we needed someone to stay with lol. we have sorted everything out this side and are not leaving for atleast another 4/5 months. it would be the same if we moved somewhere else in the uk. a new start is a new start no matter where. We know its going to be hard, but thats life i suppose. and the problems well they are fixing them selves out anyways haha...but somewhere new whilst we are younge cant be bad. haha
thank you for your comments anyways.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

I get fed up of people saying that Paphos is seasonal. It is a year round town unlike some of the East coast resorts.
Yes some of the restaurtants close down for 2 months after Christmas but these are a minority and most other businesses DO NOT close down.
There are a lot of Brits living here full not only retirees and also many other nationalities. Paphos seems to have got a name for being a retirement place but this is far from the truth. Yes there are probably more retirees here than Limassol but that is because it is more pleasant, less hectic place to live.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

susiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nice

i agree totally with Victoria K ...... ive lived in Cyprus 20yrs, mostly in Paphos it has the most year round heartbeat - yes there are oldies .. but guess what their children/grandchildren come and visit bringing tourism/weddings etc.!!

There are oldies all over Cyprus aswell as enterprising couples who`ve decided to leave their UK/EU life and start a fresh/business in the sunshine.

Great you have somewhere to stay to start you off, thats a real bonus! mechanics jobs are often advertised so you could be lucky - try and keep your options open - NETWORK - talk and smile to people and dont make the mistake of many and `turn jobs down` because the hours werent good or the pay not as expected - salaries arent like the UK unfortunately & be prepared to work unsocial hours too.

regarding wedding planners - 7yrs ago it would have been a fantastic idea, however now there are lots of people doing it, what special service would you be bringing to the table? - do you speak greek? can you sort out the problems under stress via all your local contacts? unless you work for one of the wedding companies locally or a tour operator then i really would think twice - The wedding planners i know who have websites also have other jobs on the side to support themselves. keep a few strings to your bow. Also remember not many wedding take place in the winter time.

its hard to speculate without you actually being on the island and face/face looking for jobs - its easier to get them if you are in town - having family living there can also help, you never know what or who they might meet in the supermarket/cafe and overhear a job opportunity.

You might not make a fortune but you will be living in the sunshine on a beautiful island - so much better than UK life.

if you keep your options open and will `do anything` there is work out there - receptionist etc - however come october-time the opportunities will be thin on the ground until spring time march/april/may, i think you say you will move in 4-5months that would work out fine to find your feet, meet people and get on the work ladder - keep meeting as many people as you can and keep enthusiastic.

you`ll be fine if you do that - go for it i say and the best of luck!

Last edited by susiecy; Sep 18th 2011 at 6:55 am.