Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Special needs schools

Special needs schools

Old Aug 10th 2018, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Joanneurol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Special needs schools

Hi me my hubby and 2 kids aged 4 and 9 are thinking of moving to cyprus, we are going over in October to view properties and look around schools.our problem is that our 9 year old son is autistic and over here in the UK attends a special needs school. What I would like to know know is, is there anyone else on this forum that has an autistic child who attends a school over there and how are they finding it. We are looking to move to the kapparis area or A village close by. Many thanks, Joanne baker
Old Aug 12th 2018, 7:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Special needs schools

Originally Posted by Joanneurol
Hi me my hubby and 2 kids aged 4 and 9 are thinking of moving to cyprus, we are going over in October to view properties and look around schools.our problem is that our 9 year old son is autistic and over here in the UK attends a special needs school. What I would like to know know is, is there anyone else on this forum that has an autistic child who attends a school over there and how are they finding it. We are looking to move to the kapparis area or A village close by. Many thanks, Joanne baker
Hi, if you google "Autism in Cyprus", you'll find a few organisations who give support to autistic children, and you could contact them before visiting in October. You'd do best to settle in a town where such support exists, not a village. It's a daunting venture and TBH, I would get advice from his present special needs school to make sure he's well prepared for a move to a foreign country, leaving his friends and the rest of the family behind.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If there are Special Needs Schools in the State Sector they will cater for Greek-speaking children. How will your child cope with that ? there may be international schools that are fee-paying. Can you handle fairly high school fees ?

I found this one in Nicosia by googling

http://newhope.com.cy/
Old Aug 12th 2018, 10:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If there are Special Needs Schools in the State Sector they will cater for Greek-speaking children. How will your child cope with that ? there may be international schools that are fee-paying. Can you handle fairly high school fees ?

I found this one in Nicosia by googling

New Hope | Special & Tutorial Schools
The map of Cyprus isn't very clear, but Kapparis seems to be in the Turkish Sector or very close to the "border"? In any case far from a reasonably sized town where support might be found.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Close to the border but on the Greek side. Near Larnaca which has this school - Homepage | American Academy Larnaca

I found this but the link goes to "English Language Version not yet available" How good is your Modern Greek ?

http://www.autismsociety.org.cy/

Last edited by scot47; Aug 12th 2018 at 1:02 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 1:14 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scot47
Close to the border but on the Greek side. Near Larnaca which has this school - Homepage American Academy Larnaca

I found this but the link goes to "English Language Version not yet available" How good is your Modern Greek ?

Cyprus Autistic Association
Hi, my bad!
The American Academy seems to be a Secondary School, whereas the OP will want a Primary.
The following link in English was one of the first results under an "Autism in Cyprus" search.
The Cyprus Autism Association | Itcy.net
and a bit further down is a link to a Facebook group.
The OPs can make enquiries and the answers will help them make a decision....