Reload this Page >

Retirement village

Retirement village

Old Oct 4th 2018, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Paulo72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement village

Hi All
mum and husband are looking at retiring to famagusta from the UK and would like a retirement village or similar are there such things like this and if so which area would they be looking
thanks
Old Oct 5th 2018, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement village

Does your Mum & her husband know Cyprus well and aware of many of the pitfalls, especially of purchasing in nothern Cyprus? What specifically attracts them to that area?
First thing I would suggest is for them to stay there for several weeks in January, as it can get terribly dismal and extremely cold.
Advise is to tread very cautiously for a move there. Plan, plan, and then plan again - seriously. I've been there several times on work assignments, both northern and southern Cyprus in various seasons, and no way would I want to settle there.
Oh and I haven't even mentioned water shortage and property developement title deed nightmares etc........
Hopefully others who have happily settled there can provide their experiences.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 5th 2018 at 3:50 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Does your Mum & her husband know Cyprus well and aware of many of the pitfalls, especially of purchasing in nothern Cyprus? What specifically attracts them to that area?
First thing I would suggest is for them to stay there for several weeks in January, as it can get terribly dismal and extremely cold.
Advise is to tread very cautiously for a move there. Plan, plan, and then plan again - seriously. I've been there several times on work assignments, both northern and southern Cyprus in various seasons, and no way would I want to settle there.
Oh and I haven't even mentioned water shortage and property developement title deed nightmares etc........
wouldn't be the north around ayia Napa area as I already own two apartments there and lived there for 9 months just never heard of any type of retirement places over there or older community environment
Old Oct 6th 2018, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulo72
Hi All
mum and husband are looking at retiring to famagusta from the UK and would like a retirement village or similar are there such things like this and if so which area would they be looking
thanks
Why Famagusta? It is in the Turkish part of Cyprus.
​​​​
Old Oct 6th 2018, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Greek part of Cyprus think it's because we've been going there for 15 years
Old Oct 6th 2018, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Wikipedia disagrees with you - "The old walled city and parts of the modern city presently fall within the de facto Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus in Gazimağusa District, of which it is the capital."
Old Oct 7th 2018, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Famagusta is also a district, the Greek side of which includes the towns of Ayia Napa, Protaras, Paralimni, etc. The city is now on the Turkish side of no-man's land, but the Greek side of the district is quite heavily populated with now elderly (displaced) Greek-Cypriots, former citizens of that city. As for the OPs questions, I think the retirement village on Cyprus is generally known as Paphos

*runs*
Old Dec 12th 2018, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Regarding property purchase and specifically title deeds, this site tells it all:

Is it safe to buy property in Cyprus? - Cyprus Property News
Old Dec 12th 2018, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Why dose everyone keep saying north . Ayia Napa is not in the north it is the Greek side . I my self have owned two properties over there both with title deeds and sold the last one within 3 days didn't even go on the market so dont see a problem with. I lived there from March to November and didn't have a problem with the weather yes it was cold at night but 20c in the days