Reload this Page >

Radio/TV Licensing in Cyprus

Radio/TV Licensing in Cyprus

Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

mediaman13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Radio/TV Licensing in Cyprus

Hi all,

Bit of a random question...does anyone know the government body/organisation that deal with Radio and TV licensing in Cyprus (South)?

I'm basically looking for the Greek equivilent of OFCOM in the UK

Many thanks
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Jimcross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Radio/TV Licensing in Cyprus

I take it you are thinking of setting up either a radio or TV station?

As there is no such thing as a TV or Radio license here for public use, it is free but dire TV programs leave most ex pats to have either Sky or Internet TV and radio.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jimcross, i am indeed looking to start a radio station. It seems very difficult to find out exactly what license is needed etc. So you are saying there are no actual licenses required to broadcast say, on FM?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Jimcross is an unknown quantity at this point

No not saying there is no need for a license as knowing the Cypriots there most certainly will be, only to say they do not make you pay a license fee here for either for TV or radio.

Best you contact local authorities, do a search on Google.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Ah I understand now. I've had a look and asked a few people but no one seems to know as the relevent sites are also in Greek. Ideally I'd love for someone in the know to see this post and give me some advice.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 7:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ions_in_Cyprus
I can see the reason for your interest so a quick google and only a small piece of lateral thinking shows

http://mavise.obs.coe.int/competent_authority?id=15

if you follow the link shown there you may get a connection failure, I think it is an out of date link, so try
http://www.crta.org.cy/default.asp?id=24
which is the English version of the CRTA website

sounds an interesting project, one I have considered (not in Cyprus), but see it as being inordinately expensive and has more hoops than the Olympics symbol that require nimble jumping. However, with the advent of "community" stations of restricted power on temporary licences there will be less chance of being jumped on for causing interference - why aviation is so stuck on a band so close to FM broadcast I do no know - but then the ITU has to ensure world-wide communications not just local area.

i don't know if you follow a few Mavise links if there is any funding available for this, presumably for minority groups ??

hope this helps, keep in touch and let me know how you get on
kind regards
Dom
Old Sep 30th 2012, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Transmitter Man will become famous soon enough

Thought I'd chip in here.

Here's a CRTA link that at least gives you some costs involved in applying for a broadcasting licence:

http://www.crta.org.cy/default.asp?id=276

If you decide to contact the CRTA their first line of defence is to tell you there are no available frequencies.

When you carry out a 'technical study' (via my good friend Antonis Constantinides in Limassol or any other competent broadcast engineer) and find that there are indeed several available frequencies (this excludes Nicosia where the band is full from stations north and south of the border) the authority's second line of defence is to tell you that at present they are not offering any licences and will tell you that when there is another application window, details will be published in the national press.

Where you go from here is up to you!

I have my own plan of attack but if I tell it to you I will have to kill you

Transmitter Man
Old Nov 11th 2012, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

radiolife is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Radio/TV Licensing in Cyprus

Hi

I have one great idea, instead to challenge only one frequency and license probably available next year 2013 how about we meet and put up for a asociation plan of potential candidates attack as single client ?
I want just a license for a extra very small radio station the smallest possible in cyprus.
Wish me luck I wont give up any soon ...( I am friend with 007 !)
ha !
Old Nov 12th 2012, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Transmitter Man will become famous soon enough

SMS me on +44(0)7971-053067.

I'm flying into Paphos early tomorrow morning the 13th for a few weeks.

I have a base in Yermsogia, Limassol (tourist area).

Where are you?

David

Transmitter Man
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

radiolife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

What kind of base you have in Limassol ? ( O^O )
I am in Latsia near Nicosia
I work in a big Company as electronic engineer from many years now.
Best regards,
~ Ondine ~
RadioLife
Old Feb 9th 2013, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

CharlieAnn88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mediaman13
Hi all,

Bit of a random question...does anyone know the government body/organisation that deal with Radio and TV licensing in Cyprus (South)?

I'm basically looking for the Greek equivilent of OFCOM in the UK

Many thanks
Did you manage to find out and have you gone and set up your radio station..?? X
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:52 am
Just Joined

pinky and peanut is an unknown quantity at this point

I have worked in radio broadcasting for many years and have a lot of transmission gear, I too would love to start a radio station in Cyprus, not sure if its the "old boys network" in cyprus to obtain permission is a case of slipping a few bob here or there, anyway I would like to hear from like minded broadcasters too, lets see if we can get one of the ground.
pinky.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Hi, if you are broadcasting via the internet, do you still need a licence? It must bypass all the bureaucracy, and must be much cheaper me thinks?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:22 am
Just Joined

pinky and peanut is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=zygiman;10571328]Hi, if you are broadcasting via the internet, do you still need a licence? It must bypass all the bureaucracy, and must be much cheaper

Hello Zygiman, I hunted through a few sites and found this...If you plan on playing copyrighted material which you do not have permission from the copyright owner then you should have a license.

Licensing differs between countries so if you live outside the UK or plan on broadcasting outside the UK then you may need to research multiple countries to check licensing requirements.

If you do live and broadcast from the UK then the company responsible for licensing is PPL UK. I'll carry on looking and hopefully find the answer, Don't really know if an internet station would work in Cyprus tho ?
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pinky and peanut;10572488]
Originally Posted by zygiman
Hi, if you are broadcasting via the internet, do you still need a licence? It must bypass all the bureaucracy, and must be much cheaper

Hello Zygiman, I hunted through a few sites and found this...If you plan on playing copyrighted material which you do not have permission from the copyright owner then you should have a license.

Licensing differs between countries so if you live outside the UK or plan on broadcasting outside the UK then you may need to research multiple countries to check licensing requirements.

If you do live and broadcast from the UK then the company responsible for licensing is PPL UK. I'll carry on looking and hopefully find the answer, Don't really know if an internet station would work in Cyprus tho ?
be careful PRS may also want a slice of the cake !!
and it may well depend on where your server is based not on where you expect your market to be or where it is aimed at.

both PPL and PRS, but especially the latter, have compatriat organisations in most countries in Europe and beyond and will screw you for every penny.
the USA had a hiatus recently about this subject which threatened to kill off a large number of internet "stations" that were shoestring businesses catering for niche markets

in summation - proceed very very carefully. Live broadcasting on FM has its problems but far fewer than the internet

`

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.