Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Northern Cyprus money

Northern Cyprus money

Old Mar 25th 2013, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Northern Cyprus money

Hi there, sorry for what may be a silly question and I hope it doesn't come across as petty considering the difficult situation some Southern Cyprus expats may be finding themselves in, but I would like to know if my money is safe. I am in Northern Cyprus. I arrived here from the UK 2 weeks ago. My money was in Santander at a branch in Britain and before leaving I phoned the bank to let them know I was going on holiday to Cyprus for a long time and would need to use my Visa Debit card abroad. They said fine and that I should phone them again in 30 days to let them know the same again. Since then I've been withdrawing cash at various cash points, usually HSBC, as there is no Santander here.

I'm in Northern Cyprus which is Turkish not Greek and I think officially this situation does not affect us. However I find it hard to believe that it doesn't/won't and I'm not sure as I'm not very in touch or up to date about what's going on. Is my money safe? Is my money technically in Cyprus or the UK? Thanks xx
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Cyprus money

Originally Posted by Claire333
Hi there, sorry for what may be a silly question and I hope it doesn't come across as petty considering the difficult situation some Southern Cyprus expats may be finding themselves in, but I would like to know if my money is safe. I am in Northern Cyprus. I arrived here from the UK 2 weeks ago. My money was in Santander at a branch in Britain and before leaving I phoned the bank to let them know I was going on holiday to Cyprus for a long time and would need to use my Visa Debit card abroad. They said fine and that I should phone them again in 30 days to let them know the same again. Since then I've been withdrawing cash at various cash points, usually HSBC, as there is no Santander here.

I'm in Northern Cyprus which is Turkish not Greek and I think officially this situation does not affect us. However I find it hard to believe that it doesn't/won't and I'm not sure as I'm not very in touch or up to date about what's going on. Is my money safe? Is my money technically in Cyprus or the UK? Thanks xx
Don't worry sweetie..you are fine...there is no problem in the TRNC. My family have lived there for more than 20years...enjoy.