Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

NHS Care for retired expats

NHS Care for retired expats

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default NHS Care for retired expats

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows about NHS care for retired expats.

Basically, my Mum will need to have a second hip replacement soon. She will be getting her state pension soon. Does anyone know if she can then go back to the UK and get the replacement done on the NHS given that the UK and Cyprus have a reproical agreement on health care. Currently she does receive state health care in Cyprus under my Dad's E121. She doesn't particularly want the op to be done in the state hospital here, she'd rather go back and have it done, but will she end up having to go private?

Any info would be great
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS Care for retired expats

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows about NHS care for retired expats.

Basically, my Mum will need to have a second hip replacement soon. She will be getting her state pension soon. Does anyone know if she can then go back to the UK and get the replacement done on the NHS given that the UK and Cyprus have a reproical agreement on health care. Currently she does receive state health care in Cyprus under my Dad's E121. She doesn't particularly want the op to be done in the state hospital here, she'd rather go back and have it done, but will she end up having to go private?

Any info would be great
As far as I understand it, if you are resident of another country or even out of the UK for more than 3 month, you lose you UK health plan benefits.
But as she is on the E121, who knows, the system is a minefield of redtape and paperwork.
Why does she not trust the local hospital ?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NHS Care for retired expats

Its not that the doctors are bad here, its just very unsettling when everyone around you speaks a different language.

Also the op that she needs isn't done here. She was infact the first person in the UK to have it done 3 years ago on her other hip, so its still a pretty new procedure. Its not a complete hip replacement, the hip joint is resurfaced instead. Results are the same as a full replacement, but its not as evasive.

I've tried the Work and Pensions web page and the NHS web page, they don't really help! Wish there was someone who could tell me one way or the other.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be sorted. Thanks for your input