new to Cyprus

Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

tracy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new to Cyprus

Honest_H, when I say this I really don't want you to think I'm challenging you or doubting that you know whats best for your family, I just have an endless fascination with peoples reasons for moving abroad/wanting to return home having moved. Do you think there is any chance you may be viewing 'home' with the same rose tinted specs that some of us have when we think about moving away from the UK?? There must've been reasons why you moved in the first place, or do you think you just hadn't anticiapted the problems you encountered as so many people apparently don't? Also are you at all worried that you will experience that syndrome (no idea what they call it!!) where people returning home after a spell living abroad don't feel at home once they return either, and feel like a fish out of water everywhere?? I have no experience of this I have only read about it so have no idea how valid the idea is. Once again I am just interested, probably unhealthily so
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tracy1
Honest_H, when I say this I really don't want you to think I'm challenging you or doubting that you know whats best for your family, I just have an endless fascination with peoples reasons for moving abroad/wanting to return home having moved. Do you think there is any chance you may be viewing 'home' with the same rose tinted specs that some of us have when we think about moving away from the UK?? There must've been reasons why you moved in the first place, or do you think you just hadn't anticiapted the problems you encountered as so many people apparently don't? Also are you at all worried that you will experience that syndrome (no idea what they call it!!) where people returning home after a spell living abroad don't feel at home once they return either, and feel like a fish out of water everywhere?? I have no experience of this I have only read about it so have no idea how valid the idea is. Once again I am just interested, probably unhealthily so

I can pledge for this, I had the `syndrome` and still do. More of a culture shock. I have been unable to settle into anything since i returned to England, and i was only away 6 months. The weather is enough to put me off, i have just been outside and it is Effin freezing.

It is definatley not the same once you experience a living situation abroad.

Tim

I too am obsessed with the pro`s and cons, it is healthy, and sensible
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Tracy1, its fine, its good to challenge! (Yo-Yo syndrome btw).

To be honest, I have no idea how I will feel once home for good. Hopefully, I'll feel an awful lot better than I have felt for a long time.

I'm looking at our experiences as just that, an experience, now I'm ready to go back to the real world and live properly. That probably doen't make any sense. Let me try to explain....

....I've never really felt at home here. It seems that I'm always on the outside looking in, always in the background and always doing things to conform to everyone elses expectations. This isn't me. I don't think things will be any different here. Square peg, round hole. In N.I, at least I fit it. I have tried, believe me, really tried, but its just not working. Maybe we picked the wrong place to live, maybe we should have rented and not bought, the questions could go on. I've stopped trying to analyse why things aren't working, and have come to the conclusion, that I want to be in N.I. Rain and all!

My daughter may need continual speech therapy, (she had a cleft palete repaired) which could prove difficult here. Speech therapists here will have been trained in Greek, not English. There are a few English therapist here, but they are so expensive.

It is getting more and more expensive to be here.

Our life in the summer months is great, but I've had enough of the intense sunshine now and am craving the rain and the knowledge that when I turn the tap on, water will come out!

Anyway, enough of my moans and croans.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
I can pledge for this, I had the `syndrome` and still do. More of a culture shock. I have been unable to settle into anything since i returned to England, and i was only away 6 months. The weather is enough to put me off, i have just been outside and it is Effin freezing.

It is definatley not the same once you experience a living situation abroad.

Tim

I too am obsessed with the pro`s and cons, it is healthy, and sensible
Its Effin freezing here too!! We've been defrosing our cars for about a week now. The difference is that houses don't have insultation here, so at times its actually warmer outside than in.

At the moment, we're all going to bed early, with an electric blanket and 2 duvets just to keep warm.

Mind you, this is just in the evenings. We had a picnic on the beach yesterday, 22 degree's.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Its Effin freezing here too!! We've been defrosing our cars for about a week now. The difference is that houses don't have insultation here, so at times its actually warmer outside than in.

At the moment, we're all going to bed early, with an electric blanket and 2 duvets just to keep warm.

Mind you, this is just in the evenings. We had a picnic on the beach yesterday, 22 degree's.

I want some sun....
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

tracy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

A picnic on the beach in 22 deg heat sounds like sun to me!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

A picnic on the beach in 22 deg heat sounds like sun to me!!!!

We went up to the Troodos mountains today. There was still some snow up there though not as much as last year at this time. The temperture in Platres near Troodos was 18C. We had a picnic on some benches looking out over the forests and mountains. The air was so clear we could see across to Turkey and the snow capped mountians there. When we got back down to Paphos the temperature was 23C

Last edited by Veronica-K; Jan 22nd 2009 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
We went up to the Troodos mountains today. There was still some snow up there though not as much as last year at this time. The temperture in Platres near Troodos was 18C. We had a picnic on some benches looking out over the forests and mountains. The air was so clear we could see across to Turkey and the snow capped mountians there. When we got back down to Paphos the temperature was 23C
How jealous am I?????

Sounds amazing...

Got 5 weeks left in England and its killing me, dont think that time has ever past so slowly.. starting to think in an irrational manor, like maybe i should come sooner with less money but probably not a good idea...

GGGRRRRR.....

Tim
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
How jealous am I?????

Sounds amazing...

Got 5 weeks left in England and its killing me, dont think that time has ever past so slowly.. starting to think in an irrational manor, like maybe i should come sooner with less money but probably not a good idea...

GGGRRRRR.....

Tim
Dont be in too much of a hurry as we are not yet in spring and the temperatures could still drop quite a bit. Also February and March can be quite wet so you might as well stay where you are for now and get some more money saved up.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
Dont be in too much of a hurry as we are not yet in spring and the temperatures could still drop quite a bit. Also February and March can be quite wet so you might as well stay where you are for now and get some more money saved up.
Veronica dear...In an ideal world this would be possible

Dropped my life so to speak a while back and have been stayin with family ever since, doing a job i hate..Cant stay here for longer than that it is just not possible so i would have to source some costly accommodation elsewhere anyway & I just want to get there and start the ball rolling to become established, rain or shine

Going to Larnaca, confident of finding some kind of work, there are two of us and we have enough monsy for a couple of months, expect to be working quite quickly, would you say i am near the mark?

Tim
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:43 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

Many varied replies on this thread them that got the breaks them that didnt and this you will find is what usually makes life work for us although the thought of escaping mother england may be a challenge you must win many have won that battle only to surrender and go running back to the enermy !
Ive lived in a few places and my first battle was with Canada and i won but when your really really there you may just find you dont want to be ! My last battle was with Australia and that one i also won and now after say 15yrs i want out !! England springs to mind yes my memories never fade but why England i ask myself that country that took all and gave me nothing !! You can take the boy out of london but you cant take the london out of the boy !!! Maybe its something i just need to purge from my mind ? I know that is so experience tells me though i find as i get older many things dont really matter anymore but what matters to me is that im in my group and i dont feel im in a group which seems to matter the older i get !! So im planning my return back to old blighty but i will be stopping fir awhile in my favourite place on eath S.E Asia somewhere where i always felt at home so although i will be returning to the UK it will be on a slow boat so when you talk about how you want to leave i hope you get the breaks and those breaks dont come quickly so stay put and live like a local and only after say 12 months will you begin to see through local eye's and it is then that you will know if this is the place for you so patience is what counts not the price of eggs or the taste of the beer because when you leave England you really leave the good and the bad so dont bring England with you or you will surely fail just bring yourselves and try to be born again (no the religious type) dont go looking for high street shops that are found back in the UK go with the locals eat with the locals forget England or you may just find yourself back there oneday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

HH....have you had any luck sorting out the problems with your house ?????cant be long til u go home now xxxgood luck with it all.......
We live in UAE which is the best quality family life we hve ever had .....we also own a holiday home in n.cyprus.....
All i will say to anyone is please rent b4 u buy ...S.Cyprus has become very exspensive and wages can be poor for long hours ...we have lots of friends there some happy ....some packing up to go home xxx
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:26 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

Originally Posted by lobby lou
HH....have you had any luck sorting out the problems with your house ?????cant be long til u go home now xxxgood luck with it all.......
We live in UAE which is the best quality family life we hve ever had .....we also own a holiday home in n.cyprus.....
All i will say to anyone is please rent b4 u buy ...S.Cyprus has become very exspensive and wages can be poor for long hours ...we have lots of friends there some happy ....some packing up to go home xxx
lobby lou not sure if your reply was aimed at me but all i can say is my familes home in paralimni will never be rented out my father doesnt want to he has no mortgage so he can manage although i have suggested he rent the place but he isnt interested so i let it go .
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Honest_H

HH where on Earth are you living?
Sounds like you are high up in the mountains or something. We have found it warmer this year than previous years with only an oil filled electirc heater on the living room at night and no need for our leccy blanket at all this year.
I do agree though that the houses are not built to the standard they should be.
If they were properly insulated they would be much cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, but a handful of builders are now catching on and actually insulating their houses.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Carol and David is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: new to Cyprus

Originally Posted by Sherpa
lobby lou not sure if your reply was aimed at me but all i can say is my familes home in paralimni will never be rented out my father doesnt want to he has no mortgage so he can manage although i have suggested he rent the place but he isnt interested so i let it go .
Hi Sherpa
No i think lobby lou was talking to honest H. HH. is moveing back to Nth. Ireland with her Family, As this is not instant Messageing IE. MSM it can be a day or two before you get a reply to a question with loads of people on a perticular thread at the same time it can be a bit confusing if you have not read the thread from the begining.
G, Day mate
David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.