Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Never Been to Cyprus

Never Been to Cyprus

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

tracy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Never Been to Cyprus

I have just booked a reccie in October, I chose Larnaca as I read somewhere (no idea where I lose track!!) that Larnaca is more residential than Limassol or Paphos and therefore may have more earning opportunities. I just want to get a feel for different areas and intend to travel around, it's just so difficult to research properly as whichever way you look at it, until you are living in a place it's still a holiday.
On the plus side I have managed to persuade my parents to leave England for the first time in 17 yrs!! Probably only coming to shut me up!
I have booked the San Remo in Larnaca, anyone know if it's any good?
Also what is the weather likely to be like first week in Oct??
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

yummymummy150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracy1
I have just booked a reccie in October, I chose Larnaca as I read somewhere (no idea where I lose track!!) that Larnaca is more residential than Limassol or Paphos and therefore may have more earning opportunities. I just want to get a feel for different areas and intend to travel around, it's just so difficult to research properly as whichever way you look at it, until you are living in a place it's still a holiday.
On the plus side I have managed to persuade my parents to leave England for the first time in 17 yrs!! Probably only coming to shut me up!
I have booked the San Remo in Larnaca, anyone know if it's any good?
Also what is the weather likely to be like first week in Oct??
Hi Tracy, hope you have a good time and find what you are looking for.
Tep in oct are mid 20s. Try to get down to paphos its a nice nice drive about 2-3 hrs lots to see on way down.
Tricia
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

tracy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tricia thanks for that, weather sounds lovely. Last time I came I stayed in Limassol which I really enjoyed, despite what I have heard about it being like Blackpool etc. We definitely intend to come to Paphos this time, we really only travelled the other way to Ayia Napa and Famagusta last time which was really nice but Ayia Napa was a bit, dare I say, young for me. But to be fair we did come in July/Aug which was manic with drunken 18yr olds. My son was happy though as he saw lots of virtually naked girls on the beach etc!!

To be honest I have no idea where I would want to be full time and intend to make lots of trips all over to decide.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

yummymummy150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracy1
Hi Tricia thanks for that, weather sounds lovely. Last time I came I stayed in Limassol which I really enjoyed, despite what I have heard about it being like Blackpool etc. We definitely intend to come to Paphos this time, we really only travelled the other way to Ayia Napa and Famagusta last time which was really nice but Ayia Napa was a bit, dare I say, young for me. But to be fair we did come in July/Aug which was manic with drunken 18yr olds. My son was happy though as he saw lots of virtually naked girls on the beach etc!!

To be honest I have no idea where I would want to be full time and intend to make lots of trips all over to decide.
In 2005 my sons 26 28 went up to Ayia Napa , For a few days they said it was mad did the club bit for a night then they found some nice places a few miles away, another world.
they said it was ok for holis but would not want to live there. As you said take your time, try to go back for a few weeks in winter .snow up the Troodos is a winter wonderland.Iwould also say to try in a apartment more a feel for life not holiday.
For now enjoy your trip with famlily .
Take care Tricia
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Tracey,

I think your right about basing your self round Larnaca. It really gives you great scope for work, you can travel to Limassol or Nicosia if you can't find anything in Larnaca.

For me, I think that Limassol is a bit big, Larnaca is a lot smaller and you get to know it alot quicker. Paphos and Napa way are great too, but unless you want a job in the tourist industry, your better staying nearer to Limassol/Larnaca. Napa pretty much shuts down in winter, and Paphos is getting quieter, although yummymummy is right, the drive down is beautiful.

My OH, my two daughters and myself all love Ayia Napa, I know it has a reputation, but as long as you stay out of Bar Street, its great. All bars welcome families, so we can go out as a family unit and not have to rely on getting babysitters.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

zizi712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:800 Euros

Hi Honest_H

Would you please be able to help us with this question please?
My husband has been offered a job in Nicosia. His salary will be 42,000. After tax, and all bills paid we would be left with about 800 Euros every month. Would this be enough pocket money to live on? We have two children 4 and 2.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Zizi
Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 800 Euros

Originally Posted by zizi712
Hi Honest_H

Would you please be able to help us with this question please?
My husband has been offered a job in Nicosia. His salary will be 42,000. After tax, and all bills paid we would be left with about 800 Euros every month. Would this be enough pocket money to live on? We have two children 4 and 2.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Zizi
As long as everything has been paid out (rent, bills, schools/nursery, medical insurance, shopping etc) then you probably would have enough to live on. We have what we call "weekend money" which is usually €140, that takes us all out for something to eat once a week, maybe a trip to the cinema, beach at the weekend & maybe a treat for the girls. Everyone's spending needs are different, you just have to tighten the reigns until you know exactly what you can afford to do.

We find that as long as we budget for everything, then we're fine, but if something out of the blue comes along (getting car fixed, doctors etc) then we struggle.

But hey, I've been head hunted - things are looking up!!!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Hi Honest_H,

Thank you, my husband and I appreciate your feedback. We are glad things are looking up for you. I read some of your other feedbacks and it sounded that you are so unhappy there. Does this mean that you will be staying on now?
Would you concider living in Nicosia? Is there an expat community there?
And is the water problem really bad? As this is really putting us off. We concidered living in Larnaca but I would prefer to be closer to my hubby when he is at work.
If my husband excepts this job then we would only move to Cyprus for 3 yrs. Is it worth renting our property out in the U.K, putting our furniture in my in-laws home garage, and taking my daughter out of her school for the sake of 3 yrs in Nicosia?
I just want to know the cons.
Thank you for your time,
Zizi
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Buena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by budda1
I have just got back home after leaving Cyprus after 10 years, I was one of the lucky ones and managed to sell my home no worries, but the problems of Island life are very good and very bad, it's a world unto it'self really.

I was attracted to it because I come from Jersey, an Island too, I love to be near the sea and the Island life still appealed to me 10 years ago when Jersey started going down the pan, so off I went to get a new life, unfortunately it appears to me that all small Islands have much of the same problems, but Cyprus has a 3rd world part to it, grotty, smelly and a lot of under hand goings on, that do effect you in the long run, as you need food, water and accommodation, so the notorious cheaters and money grabbers have corrupted the island, it's very exspensive, lovely in part's if there are parts untouched by building works and alcoholic expats.....to see the beauty I got up at 5am and drove or walked around the gorgeous parts, but by 8/9am that's it., maniac driver's do there best to kill themselves or you, it's very scary, I learn't to drive in Jersey and if you can drive there you can drive anywhere but I became afraid to get in my car especially at night, as they are all drunk and still driving like maniac's, well scary..

I was very happy to stay in my home and sunbath away from everybody to be honest., but you must experience living there yourself to make the decisions you want, get the Cyprus Weekly paper on line and read it, don't take anyones word go yourself and make you're own choices, but take you're own water as the water is scarce to, less than 60 hours a week water in some parts, paphos has water every other day., maybe if you're lucky....and eveything has gone up, electric 27%, food is very costly, petrol also, the cost of living is around 4.2% which is rather exspensive seeing as it's partly a 3rd world kind off country, which does add to it's charm, it's is a very sweet place and close to my heart but when I left, locked my home for the last time and got on that plane, my sole lifted and my shoulders stood proud with relief, normally I cry when I leave, but this time I was very happy not to be returning ever again., which was odd for me., back in Jersey, it's the same old., awful, we are now waiting to go to Australia, where yes, many problems also but freedom of space and being and choice is available without the underhand going's on of small Island life, they seem to have got it going on in Oz., so were going for it yet again in search of our own peace and quiet and freedom to be.....and also it's a rather big Island so we can spend the rest of our lives looking around it.....can't wait.......don't make any rash decicions on what other peps may say, do it youselves for yourselves and it may work, it may not, but if you don't try you'll never know.........................and you can always go back home if it doesn't suit you...............
Hi, we have also lived in Cyprus (Paphos) 4 years ago and came back to the UK after 8 months. We got ripped off by a big car dealer when buying our
2nd hand car and got hasselled by lots of people who knew we were looking to buy a house and wanted their 10% commission (even Cypriot housewifes were phoning us). We luckily didn't buy because we didn't want a concrete box or someone building in front of us spoiling our view which has happened to lots of people. The private schools didn't have the facilities that uk state schools have. The only people that we found living well were people that had good pensions coming in or other money from uk.
We have now applied and got a permanent resident visa for Australia, but are concerned about water shortages (you don't mention that Australia has water shortages as well as Cyprus) and the cost of living. Even though Oz properties are cheaper than uk, the wages are less, so the cost of living is about the same. Working in the heat is hard and our friends in Oz tell us that in Queensland they get up at 5am and are in bed by 9pm because it gets dark around 5pm. Also, as keen gardeners and veggie growers, we are not happy about having to think about possible Redback spiders etc.
Our advice is 'The Grass is definitely NOT always Greener'.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Thank you Buena Vista Social Club! All this info has been great to know.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

As per usual in Cyprus, things aren't what they seem.

Got head hunted and offered 50% increase on my current salary. When I went to see them, they only offered 20%.

By the time I get my bonuses, and salary increase in a few months, the 20% will be negated. Not worth it going.

Oh I can't wait to go home!

Who are these people who want 10% commission to sell houses. I'd gladly give 20% to get rid of ours!!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

derrick c is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree with budda and Honest H. Cyprus is a dump and one big litter bin. Glad I`m going back to UK.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

derrick c is an unknown quantity at this point

Zizi, don`t sell your uk house. After 3 years here you`ll be glad you didn`t.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derrick c
Totally agree with budda and Honest H. Cyprus is a dump and one big litter bin. Glad I`m going back to UK.
Litter Bin! Thats an understatement!

A few months ago the authorities started to collect rubbish at the side of the highways, every 10 meters there was a blue rubbish bag full of litter, it was disgusting.

Guess what - they have started doing it again. Please tell me how they are managing to lift the same amount of rubbish as a few months ago!!!

I'll tell you why, because Cypriots have no respect for their own country! Everyday I see people throwing rubbish from their cars, and I don't mean a ciggy butt either, full bags of takeaway cartons, cans, etc, and at one point the entire contents of the an ashtray, which needless to say ended up stuck to the front of my car.

But hey, lets be Cypriot about it and blame the tourists and the foreigners as usual!

Sorry Cyprus, but you really have to wake up and finally become the Europeans that you claim to be
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Tricia is right, the pay is pretty lossy, but other things make up for this.

Construction here is a lot different that in UK. Try to get employment with a large international company. The company building the two new airports here are call Bouyges Baitment. Currently, they are building the airports, but may have a few other projects here in the furture.
Bouygues have won the contract to build the new marina in Larnaca. It will start at the end of 2009. Could be ideal if your looking for work of your husbands type.

Its a huge contract that will see work continue until 2016!

Last edited by Honest_H; Aug 22nd 2008 at 6:38 am. Reason: Extra Info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.