British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/)
-   -   MOVING TO PAPHOS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/moving-paphos-566101/)

melydave Oct 9th 2008 9:30 am

MOVING TO PAPHOS

[My Husband and I are senior citizens and are seriously considering moving to Paphos, Cyprus, early in the new year. We are initially going to find a long term rental until we feel satisfied the area is right for us. Although we have done a fair bit of information seeking, the little things become quite important. Is there anyone out there that could advise us on an average cost of utilities, i.e. water, gas/electricity and how these utilities are generally paid, is the system similar to what we have in U.K. Also with regards to banking, is it better to transfer accounts to Cyprus or leave in U.K. and withdraw through the usual machines. I use a computer quite a lot, how do you arrange set up, Broadband etc.,? Satellite T.V. I know I am asking lots of questions, but they feel really important to us. I would appreciate any help you can give us.
Kind regards
Wendy

Bridget Tibble Oct 9th 2008 2:27 pm

Re: MOVING TO PAPHOS

I don't live in Cyprus yet so I can't help you with costings,but myself and my husband are going to Paphos in December for 4 weeks with the view of having a good look round for areas we would like to live. I have been on this forum for a few months now and I don't think I have heard any positives about Cyprus. We went for a holiday this year and loved it. We are going to visit a few more times and then if we still like it then rent for a year or so before selling up in England. It would be nice if when you do move to Cyprus to give your view on how you find it.
Bridget

melydave Oct 9th 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Bridget,
Thankyou very much for your response, I would very much appreciate your comments on anything with regards to relocation. our heads at the moments are in a turmoil, one minute "we go", next minute, "well what if ?". Then you have to say, if you don't take the chance and follow your dream, how do you know. Please keep in touch.
Kindest regards
Wendy

Bridget Tibble Oct 10th 2008 2:54 pm

Hi Wendy

I know what you mean when you say follow your dream. The only thing that holds me back are my children. They say don't be silly and that I must go. You never know what is round the corner!! I had back surgery three years ago and has left me walking with sticks and in a wheelchair.The warm weather helps with the pain, also the opportunity to go swimming everyday also helps me. What makes you want to move to Paphos/Cyprus.

Bridget

melydave Oct 11th 2008 10:21 am

Hello,
Having holidayed in Cyprus and having a Greek/Cypriot friend living here has motivated us to relocate. My Husband, although not disabled suffers badly with stiff joints and we find the continuous warmth really helps and he loves the sun, but there again, doesn't everyone, it makes you feel more alive. The main thing holding us back from taking the plunge is the children, although they are grown up and self sufficient, it doesn't make the idea any easier, but we feel the time is right and we should now think of ourselves a little more. I would feel happier if anyone out there can help us with my original questions as to average costs of utilities etc., but perhaps I need to be more patient.
Take care
Wendy

Honest_H Oct 14th 2008 10:47 am

Just something to consider....

....is it possible for you to live part of the year here and part in the UK.

I say this because of my Mum. She had a hip op before moving out here, and although the heat helps, at the humid times of the year she is in absolute agony.

I'm not sure if anyone can help me out on this, Larnaca is very humid, not sure on Paphos.

june27 Oct 14th 2008 1:17 pm

Hello Wendy
I have just become a member of the expats.com and maybe I can help you with some of your queries. I moved to Pegia nearly 2yrs ago on my own I did know 1 friend here who pointed me in the right direction to most things I needed Pegia is near Paphos 40 mins to airport from here The electric is paid every 2 months you can either pay it at the office in Paphos or pay by direct Debit I find that better in case I am away then the bill still gets paid or they may cut you off. my last bill 03/07/08 to 3/09/08 was Euros 167.38 the prevouis one was 155.24Euros a little bit of difference as maybe in July I had the aircon on which you will need in July Aug and a little in Sept electric here is now catching up with the UK The Phone is easy there is only one phone company cyta and they will come and put the line in if its not there,you can get Broadband from them as well.Where you going to bring your car over ? As there is such a lot of building going on at the moment it might be worth coming over for the winter months and have a good look around thats not what I did of course! I bought a 3 bed villa with a pool on my 3rd day here for the very first time to Cyprus.:But I must say I am having a good time in my retirement friends and family come and stay and I go back to UK in August because of the humidity its too much!! well I hope that helps you if not get back to me and will try again best wishes June27

Nic1 Oct 14th 2008 1:29 pm

If cold is an issue with pain etc. then do ensure you rent a villa with some sort of heating - it gets very cold in the winter. It is not warm all year round as advertised in so many places.

Hope you have a great time
N

june27 Oct 14th 2008 1:34 pm

sorry Wendy forgot to mention the Water that is very cheap yet we do not have any!!!!some areas have been cut off every other day but us in Pegeia have been very lucky it is about to rain today but we must not complain as we need it. You can keep your Bank at home and do internet Banking but you will have an account at a Bank here where you can transfer amounts over through a company who give you a better rate than the Banks I can help there! that might be enough for you today June 27

Honest_H Oct 14th 2008 1:40 pm

Another thing regarding banks - Nationwide don't charge for withdrawals made abroad. Might be worth opening an account there

Bridget Tibble Oct 14th 2008 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by june27 (Post 6873668)
Hello Wendy
I have just become a member of the expats.com and maybe I can help you with some of your queries. I moved to Pegia nearly 2yrs ago on my own I did know 1 friend here who pointed me in the right direction to most things I needed Pegia is near Paphos 40 mins to airport from here The electric is paid every 2 months you can either pay it at the office in Paphos or pay by direct Debit I find that better in case I am away then the bill still gets paid or they may cut you off. my last bill 03/07/08 to 3/09/08 was Euros 167.38 the prevouis one was 155.24Euros a little bit of difference as maybe in July I had the aircon on which you will need in July Aug and a little in Sept electric here is now catching up with the UK The Phone is easy there is only one phone company cyta and they will come and put the line in if its not there,you can get Broadband from them as well.Where you going to bring your car over ? As there is such a lot of building going on at the moment it might be worth coming over for the winter months and have a good look around thats not what I did of course! I bought a 3 bed villa with a pool on my 3rd day here for the very first time to Cyprus.:But I must say I am having a good time in my retirement friends and family come and stay and I go back to UK in August because of the humidity its too much!! well I hope that helps you if not get back to me and will try again best wishes June27

You are one of the very few people on this forum to say you like living in Cypress, many people say that the Cypriots are very rude to the brits mentioning only one pitfall quoted. They all suggest renting for a few years before making any decisions.

melydave Oct 14th 2008 1:52 pm

Thankyou, your information is really helpful. I like the idea of the Nationwide and will seriously consider that. Cheers.

melydave Oct 14th 2008 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by june27 (Post 6873668)
Hello Wendy

You information is invaluable, thank you. If I need any more answers to everyday topics I will ask. Cheers

melydave Oct 14th 2008 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Nic1 (Post 6873692)
If cold is an issue with pain etc. then do ensure you rent a villa with some sort of heating - it gets very cold in the winter. It is not warm all year round as advertised in so many places.

Hope you have a great time
N

Nic, many thanks for your advice and will definitely take it on board. Cheers

june27 Oct 14th 2008 3:00 pm

yes Nationwide is good to have do that before you come over . and as mentioned yes you do need heating in the winter mostly early eveing I find but that will only be late Nov. so if renting make sure its in there already.I think as a couple you will make friends with other ex pats around you there are a lot of us here!!