Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Moving to cyprus for at least 5 months

Moving to cyprus for at least 5 months

Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

cyprus123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to cyprus for at least 5 months

Hi all, I'm from the UK, and i am possibly moving to cyprus for the rest of the season, then if i enjoy working out there i will be returning again next year is there anything i need to do before i go out there except the obv like money (euros).
any forms etc??
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Transmitter Man will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to cyprus for at least 5 months

Hi 123,

I'm sure you already know this but it's a little more pricey out there as compared to the UK.

Purchase a local SIM card for your phone as calls locally are cheap.

Shop at the local fruit and veg market as food prices are expensive.

If you're into dining out then find where the locals eat not where the tourists go!

Use the local buses to get around if you can.

I visit Limassol frequently.

Enjoy the trip.

David
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Hi, if you intend to stay, or work, for longer than 3 months, then you have to apply for an Alien Registration Certificate, and register with the immigration dept of the police.

You will also have to register with the tax authorities, and arrange your medical requirements, these depend on if you work for somebody or yourself.

There are not many jobs around at the moment, so you will have to bring lot's of money to see you through till you find a job.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:03 am
Just Joined

andydoggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zygiman
Hi, if you intend to stay, or work, for longer than 3 months, then you have to apply for an Alien Registration Certificate, and register with the immigration dept of the police.

You will also have to register with the tax authorities, and arrange your medical requirements, these depend on if you work for somebody or yourself.

There are not many jobs around at the moment, so you will have to bring lot's of money to see you through till you find a job.

good info, but is all the above still needed if one buys a house ?

what if one rents ?

i ask this cos i know someone who bought an apartment and still has done none of the above, and she has been there for years !

the jobs/money info is a worry, and i think that as i am decades away from a pension, moving to cyprus is a bad idea ?

is it only possible for brits on a pension to scrape by ?

could i scrape a living running an animal ambulance (pets to vets), cos i hear most local taxis wont take pets (seems to mirror the greek/cypriot general dislike of animals), and i am told many elderly brits with pets have difficulty getting their dogs and cats to the vets.

failing that, maybe house sitting for brits leaving property empty whilst back in uk (crime increasing in cyprus ?)

cheers
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andydoggy
good info, but is all the above still needed if one buys a house ?

what if one rents ?

i ask this cos i know someone who bought an apartment and still has done none of the above, and she has been there for years !

the jobs/money info is a worry, and i think that as i am decades away from a pension, moving to cyprus is a bad idea ?

is it only possible for brits on a pension to scrape by ?

could i scrape a living running an animal ambulance (pets to vets), cos i hear most local taxis wont take pets (seems to mirror the greek/cypriot general dislike of animals), and i am told many elderly brits with pets have difficulty getting their dogs and cats to the vets.

failing that, maybe house sitting for brits leaving property empty whilst back in uk (crime increasing in cyprus ?)

cheers
You could try canvassing a few vets to see if they would be willing to support you. You will have to arrange insurance for yourself and the pets too.

The house sitting seems like a good idea, but how would you market yourself? I think it will be very difficult for a homeowner to give the keys to their home to somebody they do not know.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:10 am
Just Joined

You could try canvassing a few vets to see if they would be willing to support you. You will have to arrange insurance for yourself and the pets too.

The house sitting seems like a good idea, but how would you market yourself? I think it will be very difficult for a homeowner to give the keys to their home to somebody they do not know.

yes, but as crime is increasing in cyprus (or is it ?), i think homeowners would rather a fellow brit looking after their property than leave it at the mercy of eastern european/bulgarian/russian gangs who could take everything, right down to the last lightbulb.

or am i misinformed ?, is the recent influx of bulgarians etc not resulting in rampant crime ? (this is what i hear from brits living in cyprus)

is what i being told about crime mere rumours or fact ?

would like to learn as much as i can about the situation in cyprus.

cheers
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

There are a few dodgy Brits around too. Do not think that it is just the East Europeans that are doing all the burglaries.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 2:43 am
Just Joined

There are a few dodgy Brits around too. Do not think that it is just the East Europeans that are doing all the burglaries.
yes, but is it a growing problem ?

whats the situation like, is it becoming quite an issue, or is it being blown out of all proportion ?

cheers
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Burglaries are on the rise, but it is being hyped up. You just have to be more careful and still a lot safer than in the UK!