Reload this Page >

Moving to cyprus

Moving to cyprus

Old Feb 17th 2016, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

AmieAmie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to cyprus

Hello all,
Myself, my partner and our two small children have been toying with the idea of moving to Cyprus. I am 28 my partner is 30 and out two children are 7 and 3.
My questions to you all are how easy is it to move and live in Cyprus? How is the education system for my two boys? Also my partner has a criminal record would this be a problem with our move? We are current home owners and we feel the best idea would be to rent our house back at home and then use that to rent a home in Cyprus?
Ideally we would both like to work? Is this feasible - what is the job market like currently?

Sorry for all the questions - any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Amie
Old Feb 17th 2016, 8:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to cyprus

What jobs do you both do?

Why Cyprus? What are your hopes and expectations?

There is nothing to stop anyone who is a citizen of any country in the EEA moving to any other country in the EEA and seeking work, criminal records are not an issue for "moving". Subject to what the local law says/ allows, I would expect employers to ask job applicants if they have a criminal record, and include that as part of their hiring decision. So, in short, your partner is free to travel to Cypus and seek work, whether he will get hired is an entirely separated question.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Hello,
We have been to Cyprus a number of times over the years and it's just such a beautiful place we never want to leave.
I have a teaching degree so my hopes are to find work within a school. My partner is very flexible he would do various manual tasks.
I understand the wages are much lower than here in the UK but is it also a much lower living cost?
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you applied for jobs?
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

No not yet. Because we have the boys it would have to be done in advance. Most of the jobs I have seen want people to start ASAP and unfortunatly we need something that will give us a few months to get things in place on this side of the pond x
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to know that you could get a job and you know what sort of salary you would be earning.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

IMO going "all in" with two children is reckless, so if you want to make it happen you're going to have to grab chances when you find them. Perhaps send your partner out to Cyprus in the spring to find work and a home, then follow when you find a job. Even this scenario sounds pretty high risk to me, and not something I would want to do with two, or even one, child in tow.

What exactly are you hoping to achieve by taking your children from one of the stonger economies, with all the benefits that follow - good education system, good hospitals and healthcare, top universities, museums, galleries, and libraries, to one of the smallest and poorest countries in Europe, with fewer opportunities and generally far fewer resources and opportunities?

I don't know where you live in the UK, but you would likely find some sort of improvement with far less risk of things turning pear-shaped by moving within the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 17th 2016 at 11:29 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
I seem to remember Cyprus was divided between North and South, maybe that was only when the Brits were occupiers.
That was after Turkey invaded in 1974. Northern Cyprus was not generally recognized internationally, but became the defacto status of a divided country, somewhat like Israel's occupation of the West Bank.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and a warm welcome to BE.

We do have a Cyprus forum so I shall move your topic over there .

regards
BEVS
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmieAmie1
Hello all,
Myself, my partner and our two small children have been toying with the idea of moving to Cyprus. I am 28 my partner is 30 and out two children are 7 and 3.
My questions to you all are how easy is it to move and live in Cyprus? How is the education system for my two boys? Also my partner has a criminal record would this be a problem with our move? We are current home owners and we feel the best idea would be to rent our house back at home and then use that to rent a home in Cyprus?
Ideally we would both like to work? Is this feasible - what is the job market like currently?

Sorry for all the questions - any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Amie
On Anglo Info there is a HOTEL advertising for staff.

Hello and welcome,

We live in Cyprus. Work is available. However you would be best served to come over and RENT a property-Apt,Villa etc and have a good look round. It is NOW the hiring season in Hotels, Spa's, Cafes,Restaurants etc. it is the start of the Tourist arrivals.

It is overall cheaper to live here than in UK. Yes the salaries are lower here but so is the overall cost of living.

Last edited by themajor; Mar 3rd 2016 at 7:13 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 7:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
On Anglo Info there is a HOTEL advertising for staff.

Hello and welcome,

We live in Cyprus. Work is available. However you would be best served to come over and RENT a property-Apt,Villa etc and have a good look round. It is NOW the hiring season in Hotels, Spa's, Cafes,Restaurants etc. it is the start of the Tourist arrivals.

It is overall cheaper to live here than in UK. Yes the salaries are lower here but so is the overall cost of living.
But what is the situation like for people NOT wanting to work in the hospitality industry, how good is the situation for year round work, this is really what the OP needs to know, they don't want to move over just so they can work in a bar/cafe for a few months and then be out of work. Is there any benefit system for those out of work etc?
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 8:21 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
But what is the situation like for people NOT wanting to work in the hospitality industry, how good is the situation for year round work, this is really what the OP needs to know, they don't want to move over just so they can work in a bar/cafe for a few months and then be out of work. Is there any benefit system for those out of work etc?
+1
This is a general European question, which is why I'm taking the liberty of butting in.
With all due respect to the retired Major, this is a couple with two young children. They need to work all year round with a high enough regular salary to at least continue the life style that they have in the UK, for their children's sakes. Will they receive the same Benefits that they might receive now? And how does healthcare insurance work in Cyprus? In France for instance, 30% of medical costs come out of your pocket unless you take out Top-Up Insurance in addition to your Social Security contributions. Without legal work you have to take out private healthcare insurance....
In addition to these questions, the OP would have to check whether her teaching qualifications can be validated in Cyprus.
When people say on the France forum that they've spent holidays here and want to live here, we always suggest coming for stays in the bad seasons to see it at its worst. And not "holidays" as such, but as if they were living here on a normal budget as residents, not as tourists.
Hope this helps a little with the Big Decision!
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post dmu. As a retired person I get FULL medical treatment with the Cyprus (NHS) health care. There are jobs here for full time work. many advertised in the local free newspapers. Once established in work the company usually provides health care.

A lot of the younger people (not retired) take up part time work in order to get a feel for the place and then to find there way around.

With regard to the children-no knowledge from me.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Talagirl is an unknown quantity at this point

If you type 'Employment in Cyprus' in the search bar some recruitment agencies will come up and at least six people I know have found suitable full time permanent employment this year in the managerial and teaching and financial sectors. Others have taken jobs in the hotel and catering and tourist industry (which covers a broad spectrum of job opportunities) with the view that at least they have a job and can look for something more suitable now they are living here - as mentioned earlier so many jobs are looking for an immediate start.