Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Looking for a lawyer

Looking for a lawyer

Old Oct 14th 2013, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

willi222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a lawyer

Hi, Can anyone recommend a lawyer to use for purchasing our first property in Cyprus
Old Oct 14th 2013, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

BLUEANDY5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a lawyer

Hi
We have just completed our purchase and we use a solicitor based in Paphos as that's where we have brought our property.
He is called Nikos Papatheocharous and you can contact him at [email protected]
He is great at communicating and reply's quickly but the process was slow at times but that's because he is very thorough and does not cut corners to speed things up that might come back and bite you on the bum at a late date so to speak plus we had the whole banking crisis going on at the same time.
Regards Andy & Julie
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Andy and Julie
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Prometheus1 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are "White Pages" in Cyprus, where you can find most of lawyers in the district you are interested in buying property.

This is available through Cyprus' CYTA website, which is the islands semi-government phone provider.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Prometheus1, thanks for that but so many of the sites I have visited scared the life out of me saying I need to get a good Lawyer as there are so many bad apples how to spot a bad apple!!!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Where abouts in Cyprus are you thinking of buying ?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

In the Paphos area, not in the main town, in one of the villages a little further back, Tala, Peya, somewhere like that. I have been given the name of another guy in the Parlimini area and he seems honest enough but how can you tell?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Its a gamble but we fell lucky as we went into a tourist information centre and ask there and it just so happens the woman at the desk her husband was one so put us in touch. He is totally independant from estate agents and his office is huge with veiws looking over paphos and the harbour its no back street place. He gives you the cost up front and that's what you pay no hidden extras. He is well known with the estate agents and I said before he is very thorough and would recommend him to anyone.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Andy much appreciated, I suppose the next question is Title Deeds or walk away?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Must have title deeds or you might find that there's money still owing to the banks on the property and the banks may want that money back. Defo would not recommend buying without title deeds every body told us that one.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

There's a lady on here called Veronica she is an absolute star and her advise helped us a great deal. I'm sure she will contribute to this thread
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

The British High Commission in Cyprus has a list of reputable lawyers, so you should look into using one of those.

Last edited by zygiman; Oct 14th 2013 at 6:11 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Zygiman and all very much appreciate your support
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willi222
In the Paphos area, not in the main town, in one of the villages a little further back, Tala, Peya, somewhere like that. I have been given the name of another guy in the Parlimini area and he seems honest enough but how can you tell?
I would hesitate to use a lawyer who is so far away from where you intend to purchase. For one thing you will find that you need to make several visits to the lawyer and it is a long way to travel each time.
For another thing, I was talking to a very well respected Nicosia lawyer who has taken cases against many bad lawyers and he told me that the Larnanca side of Cyprus has the highest number of bad lawyers and developers on the island.
I would recommend Kalogirou Law in Paphos. We have a had lot of dealings with them, most of our clients have used them when purchasing and have been very happy with their service and stayed with them for all other legal issues they have.

http://www.kalogiroulaw.com/

Regards
Veronica
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Limassol, being the business capital of Cyprus, also has very experienced lawyers dealing in Commercial, Property and Family matters. They have been trained, and obtained their Law Degrees in the UK and Cyprus, and are members of the UK and Cyprus Bar Associations.