Learning Greek

Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Learning Greek

Cyprus is no different to any other country when it comes to learning another language. If you want to have better contact with the locals, whose native language is not English, then i advise you learn the local language.

Greek is not an easy language to learn, but there is a free BBC course you can follow at home, to learn at least the basics. From then on, maybe you can join another course, and also pick up some more words from daily life in Cyprus.

You can find the course here http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/greek/talk/
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 9:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Greek

I remember my breakthrough moment.. we were driving past the grocery store for aproximately the one millionth time when all of a sudden I could read it as Hyper mart... the lightbulb going on was blinding.

I got the ear by sitting around listening to folks chatting, and the letters by reading subtitles when watching TV.
It all disappeared quickly after moving away though.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zygiman
Cyprus is no different to any other country when it comes to learning another language. If you want to have better contact with the locals, whose native language is not English, then i advise you learn the local language.

Greek is not an easy language to learn, but there is a free BBC course you can follow at home, to learn at least the basics. From then on, maybe you can join another course, and also pick up some more words from daily life in Cyprus.

Learning Greek as it is spoken in Greece is not to be advised.
Far better to learn it once you arrive in Cyprus at local colleges who offer Greek lessons to foreigners at a very low rate. Cypriots speak a totally different form of Greek, a very old style of Greek. Greeks speak a more modern version and to learn it if you are going to live in Cyprus only leads to confusion. Also different areas of Cyprus have slightly different dialects.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
Learning Greek as it is spoken in Greece is not to be advised.
Far better to learn it once you arrive in Cyprus at local colleges who offer Greek lessons to foreigners at a very low rate. Cypriots speak a totally different form of Greek, a very old style of Greek. Greeks speak a more modern version and to learn it if you are going to live in Cyprus only leads to confusion. Also different areas of Cyprus have slightly different dialects.
Learning Greek before you go to Cyprus, helps with reading signs, and browsing Cyprus Government websites, which sometimes have no English translation. There are Cypriot newspapers in the UK, where you can practice reading and get used to the alphabet.
It is the same everywhere, if somebody abroad learns English the way it sounds on the BBC News, they will probably have a problem understanding somebody from Newcastle say, not being detrimental to people from Newcastle, but Geordie is not easy to follow for many people.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Learning Greek before you go to Cyprus, helps with reading signs, and browsing Cyprus Government websites, which sometimes have no English translation. There are Cypriot newspapers in the UK, where you can practice reading and get used to the alphabet.
It is the same everywhere, if somebody abroad learns English the way it sounds on the BBC News, they will probably have a problem understanding somebody from Newcastle say, not being detrimental to people from Newcastle, but Geordie is not easy to follow for many people.
I agree, I often say they should put subtitles on the screen when Geordies are on TV.(Only the very broad ones of course)
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
I agree, I often say they should put subtitles on the screen when Geordies are on TV.(Only the very broad ones of course)
There are a few English Cypriot newspapers based in the UK, where they carry Cyprus and UK - Cyprus news in English and Greek. This is the website for one of them http://www.parikiaki.com/category/news You may view the website, but more importantly, you can order a copy of the weekly paper, to help you learn Greek, as part of any course you may follow.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Itsy101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks this is a great start point. Really useful.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

andydoggy is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,
i am a wee bit confused here,

i was under the illusion that brits could get by in cyprus without the language (apparently most cypriots speak english ?)

but it seems that greek is needed ?

this was one of the reasons i am thinking of plumping for cyprus rather than spain, cos i understand that to live succesfully in spain you need at least some spanish.

i am too lazy and busy to learn a new language, can i survive ok in cyprus without learning the lingo too much ?

cheers
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Greek is not needed to get by here.
Most Cypriots speak English as do most of the other nationalities who live here.
If you do not wish to learn Greek you can get by perfectly well without it.
However it is nice to learn at least the basics such as greetings etc as the Cypriots do appreciate that.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andydoggy
this was one of the reasons i am thinking of plumping for cyprus rather than spain, cos i understand that to live succesfully in spain you need at least some spanish.
There are so many brit speakers in Spain now that, depending on the area, you dont need to speak Spanish to "get by"

It helps, but it wont ruin your life
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

If you want to reach the locals, then it is always better to at least try to learn their language, they always appreciate it if they see you are at least trying.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Carol-anne112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.
I'm new to this site and have spent many hours reading alot of the topics on here. Really interesting information. Alot of very helpful members. I hope someone can help me with my question.
It's been pointed out on this thread that it's confusing to learn Greek before arriving in Cyprus as the spoken lingo is different from normal Greek. What about reading and writing Greek, is that different too? Would it still be worth me learning to read and write Greek?
I'm hoping to retire to Cyprus ( but not for a few years yet ) so I have plenty of time to learn.

Carol
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:37 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol-anne112
Hi.
I'm new to this site and have spent many hours reading alot of the topics on here. Really interesting information. Alot of very helpful members. I hope someone can help me with my question.
It's been pointed out on this thread that it's confusing to learn Greek before arriving in Cyprus as the spoken lingo is different from normal Greek. What about reading and writing Greek, is that different too? Would it still be worth me learning to read and write Greek?
I'm hoping to retire to Cyprus ( but not for a few years yet ) so I have plenty of time to learn.

Carol
Welcome to the forums Carol
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Carol-anne112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Mitzyboy
Old Nov 21st 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carol-anne112
Hi.

Carol
I think if you can at least master the alphabet and the sounds different combinations of letters make it will help you to learn more quickly once you get here.
The language is of course basically the same but with different dialects and some words which are peculiar to Cyprus, even to different regions of the island. Its a bit like learning to speak Queens English and then suddenly finding yourself in the heart Geordieland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.