Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Insurance / Healthcare ?????...why is nothing simple..:D

Insurance / Healthcare ?????...why is nothing simple..:D

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of
Default Insurance / Healthcare ?????...why is nothing simple..:D

Hi Gang

Baffled currently..

What is the best way forward in terms of healthcare in the form of insurance?

My mind is spinning, my soul, all but destroyed and my spirit crushed....by spending most of the day on the phone to seemingly inept Insurance companies, trying to ascertain the best option.

I am no richer in knowledge than when i started, all i gained was a crick in my neck and a new founded level of contempment for Direct Line.

So what ya reckon dudes? can i jsut get a healthcare policy in Cyprus when i get there?....or should i get covered before i come?..

Ta Muchly

Timbo

3 weeks, 5 days & 45 minutes and counting

Last edited by 7immyboy; Feb 2nd 2009 at 8:17 pm. Reason: Felt like it..
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance / Healthcare ?????...why is nothing simple..:D

Well, I know this relates to Spain .... but before I left I tried all kinds of companies, and the rates were horrendous. All very expensive, £300 a month with BUP almost.

Well my E106 was running out and I started again and rang Spanish companies ... ended up paying €100 a month with Sanitas .... who are a foreign division of BUPA

So all I am saying is that once you get there you may find a cheaper option than the British rip off companies who say they provide health insurance to ex pats!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Nice one MB...

This is a tough one, all the travel insurance policies restrict how much you can work, which misses the point in its entirety.

I shall sort something out
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:40 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Wont your E106 cover you there for up to two years anyway?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Isn`t that the old E111?.. Yes it would but what a pile of shite, If i am correct you still have to pay out for any medical issues at the full cost, and then you claim it back once you are back in England, or a percentage of, if you are lucky.. I will check this

Valubles, laptop etc are covered on home insurance anyway so its only medical cover i am after, had bad experience last year and had to go home eventually as i didnt have the funds. If it wasnt for that i`d still be there, but hey ho, everything for a reason, so super cautious this time round
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:16 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
Isn`t that the old E111?.. Yes it would but what a pile of shite, If i am correct you still have to pay out for any medical issues at the full cost, and then you claim it back once you are back in England, or a percentage of, if you are lucky.. I will check this

Valubles, laptop etc are covered on home insurance anyway so its only medical cover i am after, had bad experience last year and had to go home eventually as i didnt have the funds. If it wasnt for that i`d still be there, but hey ho, everything for a reason, so super cautious this time round

Well i have to admit I dont know for Cyprus, but in Spain and other EU countries you hand the E106 to the SS office and they issue you wiuth a temporary medical card which you use to access the health system just like any other national .... the health authorities then claim it back from the UK
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well i have to admit I dont know for Cyprus, but in Spain and other EU countries you hand the E106 to the SS office and they issue you wiuth a temporary medical card which you use to access the health system just like any other national .... the health authorities then claim it back from the UK
I gonna ring them and ask them right now
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mitz you are quite right, i have called them and they confirme what you suggest.

That clears that up! Happy days.

Cheers.

Direct Line can go to hell...ppffttt £150
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

macca01 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys
is that the social security office in the uk or the one on cyprus? sorry to be a bit thick, just woke up after a lazy day. (snow bound )

I only thought it covered for emergency treatment? and you had to claim it back once back in the UK.

Michaela
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by macca01
hi guys
is that the social security office in the uk or the one on cyprus? sorry to be a bit thick, just woke up after a lazy day. (snow bound )

I only thought it covered for emergency treatment? and you had to claim it back once back in the UK.

Michaela
See thats what i thought but i spoke to health authority in this country

0845 6050 707 they issue your card also. They said that there is a small outlay, like £20 or so but it should just be like an NHS setup (god help us) in Cyprus, trick being finding a state hospital. Which is an excellent question..

Michela, Maybe you should call them also, and we can exchange misleading information & stories?..

Is there a state hospital in Paphos?..

Personally i wont be bungie jumping or cliff diving anyway!

Timbo
Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a government hospital in Paphos and Limassol. DD had her appendix removed last year while there in Limassol - very basic but a great job and a bit of a bargain at around 700 euros. Would have cost far more than that here. The staff were lovely with her and she has the smallest scar which she is pleased about.

N
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nic1
There is a government hospital in Paphos and Limassol. DD had her appendix removed last year while there in Limassol - very basic but a great job and a bit of a bargain at around 700 euros. Would have cost far more than that here. The staff were lovely with her and she has the smallest scar which she is pleased about.

N
Hi Nic

So did you have to pay the 700 Euros? and did you get it back?
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:48 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by macca01
hi guys

Michaela
When you leave the UK you are able to apply for an E106 document which, depending on your past NI contributions will give you up to about 2 years health cover under a state system in europe, subject to local rules. When this cover runs out, you have to get private health cover if you are not working.

When one of a partnership reaches retirement age you can then apply for an E121. That will give you state cover permanently. The other of the partnership will aloso be covered even if they are under retirement age, as a dependent.

Your European Health Card, issued in the UK, will not be relevant if you are no longer a UK resident. Thats for use when you are on holiday, not when you live there. Dont count on it therefore. If you go back to the UK, as Greek resident you will need to get a similar card issued in Greece to cover you in the UK, as you wont automatically be entitled to UK health cover if you return on holiday
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
Hi Nic

So did you have to pay the 700 Euros? and did you get it back?
Hi, yes we paid it and then reclaimed when we got back home. We have private health insurance as we live overseas (but not in Cyprus yet). We use a company local to where we live - and usually have wherever we have lived. Did use BUPA for a while but not recently.

N
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nic1
Hi, yes we paid it and then reclaimed when we got back home. We have private health insurance as we live overseas (but not in Cyprus yet). We use a company local to where we live - and usually have wherever we have lived. Did use BUPA for a while but not recently.

N
Thanks Nic..

I think the trick is to not get ill...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.