British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/)
-   -   I`m moving to CYprus too!! help me !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/i%60m-moving-cyprus-too-help-me-581580/)

7immyboy Jan 3rd 2009 9:11 pm

I`m moving to Cyprus too!! help me !!

Hello everyone

May i say what a pleasure it is to find what i have been looking for, for some time. The answers that is. I have found the experience most imformative and even amusing in places! Anyway, i promised myself i would keep it short as possible as i appreciate some of you will be going over old ground!!

My Story:

I am Tim, I am 31 and felt the urge to do something i should have done 10 years ago...so i did!! I spent most of summer 08 in Agia Napa doing the whole working summer thing, I quickly became bored of the party culture there, but at the same time fell in love with the Island and the weather and the people, AND THE FOOD IS AMAZING.. The problem was that i had a job as a DJ in one of the main bars in the square.. smack bang in the middle of the party culture thing..OK i didnt not enjoy it but it was a bit much working 7 nights a week, but the money was good 1100 Euro`s for a 24 hr week but 7 nights was too much, 1 night a week off and i would`ve been ecstatic! The job came with Accommodation (was fairly grim) but only 200 euros a month which wasnt to be sniffed at. I later came to learn that this is a good wage for the hours...I found plenty of other things to do whilst 99% of the town lay in bed recovering all day, i went exploring, i was in my element, i found Famagusta and absorbed all the history of it, I was moved quite a lot by it and Islands grip on me strengthened. I have thirst for knowledge and history of the Island and saw as much as i could in a 2 seater buggy (hilarious).. So forget the drinking clubbing culture, i now know why i came.

In fear of rambling i shall get to the point!!

So i love cyprus but a little apprehensive of returnuing to Napa although that job pays so well, but doesnt start until May, and to be honest would rather just settle for a lesser job in favour of some peace and quiet, but have seen horror stories of earning only 3-400 euros a month?? I`m going back on 28th February to Larnaca as i assume its a bit more "all year round" than Napa..

Going round in circles now!!

If you would be so kind to help me with the following..:D

1) Whats Larnaca really like in comparison to Ayia Napa

2) Can i get a job in Larnaca, in early March? I`m not fussy.. and how much can i expect to earn for an (being careful how to say this..) entry level job? i.e Waiter / Shop Work or similar, and is there good industry there as ideally i would like a mon - fri 9-5 i have plenty of good experience from an office environment, Buyer, Projects management etc. maybe thats for a bit later on.

3) I am actually a qualifed BT engineer, would my attributes in this department be of use to the Cyp Telecomms companies, is it worth a shot?

4) Are flats / Apartments in plentiful supply and how much? deposit required etc ?

5) Erm... I think thats it ...

I know a lot of this is probably stated elsewhere, but i am looking for an up to date version of information thats personal to me :)

Am desperate to become established there and stick it all year round, i am assuming this is reasonably possible? to move there and never have to come back to England? I have no ties or responsibilities & its just little old me.

Thank you so much for your time in advance

Timmy Boy

Veronica-K Jan 4th 2009 4:06 pm

Re: I`m moving to Cyprus too!! help me !!

Originally Posted by 7immyboy (Post 7123403)
Hello everyone

May i say what a pleasure it is to find what i have been looking for, for some time. The answers that is. I have found the experience most imformative and even amusing in places! Anyway, i promised myself i would keep it short as possible as i appreciate some of you will be going over old ground!!

My Story:

I am Tim, I am 31 and felt the urge to do something i should have done 10 years ago...so i did!! I spent most of summer 08 in Agia Napa doing the whole working summer thing, I quickly became bored of the party culture there, but at the same time fell in love with the Island and the weather and the people, AND THE FOOD IS AMAZING.. The problem was that i had a job as a DJ in one of the main bars in the square.. smack bang in the middle of the party culture thing..OK i didnt not enjoy it but it was a bit much working 7 nights a week, but the money was good 1100 Euro`s for a 24 hr week but 7 nights was too much, 1 night a week off and i would`ve been ecstatic! The job came with Accommodation (was fairly grim) but only 200 euros a month which wasnt to be sniffed at. I later came to learn that this is a good wage for the hours...I found plenty of other things to do whilst 99% of the town lay in bed recovering all day, i went exploring, i was in my element, i found Famagusta and absorbed all the history of it, I was moved quite a lot by it and Islands grip on me strengthened. I have thirst for knowledge and history of the Island and saw as much as i could in a 2 seater buggy (hilarious).. So forget the drinking clubbing culture, i now know why i came.

So i love cyprus but a little apprehensive of returnuing to Napa although that job pays so well, but doesnt start until May, and to be honest would rather just settle for a lesser job in favour of some peace and quiet, but have seen horror stories of earning only 3-400 euros a month?? I`m going back on 28th February to Larnaca as i assume its a bit more "all year round" than Napa..

2) Can i get a job in Larnaca, in early March? I`m not fussy.. and how much can i expect to earn for an (being careful how to say this..) entry level job? i.e Waiter / Shop Work or similar, and is there good industry there as ideally i would like a mon - fri 9-5 i have plenty of good experience from an office environment, Buyer, Projects management etc. maybe thats for a bit later on.

3) I am actually a qualifed BT engineer, would my attributes in this department be of use to the Cyp Telecomms companies, is it worth a shot?

4) Are flats / Apartments in plentiful supply and how much? deposit required etc ?

I know a lot of this is probably stated elsewhere, but i am looking for an up to date version of information thats personal to me :)

Am desperate to become established there and stick it all year round, i am assuming this is reasonably possible? to move there and never have to come back to England? I have no ties or responsibilities & its just little old me.

Timmy Boy

If you want year round possiblity of work you need to be looking at paphos or Limassol.
Paphos has bars and clubs which operate all year round as the tourist industry is year round.
I think work in the telecoms industry would not be easy to find as those sort of jobs go first to Cypriots.

7immyboy Jan 4th 2009 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Veronica-K (Post 7125640)
If you want year round possiblity of work you need to be looking at paphos or Limassol.
Paphos has bars and clubs which operate all year round as the tourist industry is year round.
I think work in the telecoms industry would not be easy to find as those sort of jobs go first to Cypriots.

Thankyou, thats great..Larnaca not set in stone by any means.

And ya know what? If i was a barman for the rest of my life i wouldnt care less, for me its about an easy going simple life in the sun. with that fantastic scenery, Super, food for thought, thankyou for your time!!

Timbo

Sherpa Jan 24th 2009 10:03 am

Re: I`m moving to CYprus too!! help me !!

7immyboy i cant give you any useful specific advise on cyprus but from your posts you tend to be thinking to far ahead rather you should start from the beginning and just get a job to sustain yourself while at the same time just mix with the locals and build friendships then you will discover opportunity no point in hanging out with tourists . Learn the lingo and you will discover a whole new world there are alot of successful people in cyprus and alot of opportunity but people dont like to share those things i mean who needs the compitition ? If your serious give yourself 12 months just living there away from the tourist spots unless your chosen field is tied up with tourism and after 12 months review your position there are no short cuts only luck ...

Goodluck

Veronica-K Jan 24th 2009 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Sherpa (Post 7207552)
7immyboy i cant give you any useful specific advise on cyprus but from your posts you tend to be thinking to far ahead rather you should start from the beginning and just get a job to sustain yourself while at the same time just mix with the locals and build friendships then you will discover opportunity no point in hanging out with tourists . Learn the lingo and you will discover a whole new world there are alot of successful people in cyprus and alot of opportunity but people dont like to share those things i mean who needs the compitition ? If your serious give yourself 12 months just living there away from the tourist spots unless your chosen field is tied up with tourism and after 12 months review your position there are no short cuts only luck ...

Goodluck

Timmy Sherpa is absolutely right. You need to mix as possible with locals and expats who have been here for a few years. Often getting a decent job is not what you know but who you know.
As long as you have enough money put to one side to return to the UK if you find it dosnt work out for you then give it a go. Remember that as wonderful as the thought of living in the sun is the reality can sometimes be totally different but you are young so why not treat it as an adventure. The cost of renting an apartment is going down as there are so many empty ones and also many who are finding it hard to sell are now resorting to renting their properties out to help pay their mortgages so it is now possible to barter and get a good deal.
I hope everything works out well for you.

Veronica

7immyboy Jan 27th 2009 7:34 pm

Thanks Gang,

I have come on leaps and bounds since my first visit to this Forum. Thats the best advice from both of you Veronica & Sherpa i have had yet. And comforted by the fact that this is nit far off my way of thinking and strategy, Like you say, get there and survive for a year, then progress. No rush after all. Many thanks and i`ll keep you posted :)

Tim

Ray51 Jan 27th 2009 8:45 pm

We spent a winter week in Nicosia ( Lefkosia ? ) a few years' ago ;
I quite liked it , good road from Larnaca and then the hotels , the restaurants , the pubs , the trips into the hills , the cafe society , the boutiques , how the ladies presented themselves ...light years better than Spain , at first sight & all around , or so I thought ;
whereas : the wife immediately found the grocery shopping extremely poor yet expensive ;
and all our Cypriot friends and acquintances urgently pointed out that the local heath/medical system/services were even worse than U.K.'s !
So , that's done it , for us , then !

ArranLass Jan 28th 2009 1:17 am

Originally Posted by 7immyboy (Post 7123403)
Hello everyone

My Story:

Timmy Boy

Hi Tim,
To answer your points as best I can:

1: When I first moved over I lived near Larnaca. I listened to the landlord and thought I'd moved to a mixed age community, turned out I was surrounded by retired people. I wanted quiet but not that quiet! I had a good look round and moved down to Paphos in November and there's a good bunch here, late 20's, 30's+. Each area has it's own style, with lots of enclaves. Most landlords want a year lease but you can shop around and negotiate or get a flat share. Get the Cyprus weekly etc. It's a renters market, there's tons out there and they will drop their price if you're reasonable. I found Paphos much cheaper than Limassol and Larnaca.

2. As far as work is concerned: My company sent me here last August. I was approached by their competition last November so I'm with a new company now, better company, less hassle, more money. My PA is leaving at the end of the month so I will be looking for someone to make appointments for me, and do general PA work etc. It's a good income, better than waiter wages by miles! However I'm based in Paphos. If you are interested in finding out more contact me by private message.

3. If you don't want to work in an office you can try Cytanet. They are the main telecom providers. There are other telecom companies, just do a search on the internet. I've no idea if they take non Greek speakers but nothing ventured? There's also plenty of publications looking for people to sell advertising. And then there's time share...

4. Yes accommodation is plentiful. There are a lot of expats leaving and tons of places up for rent. Many landlords are trying to get two months rent as a deposit. Don't fall for it. If you insist on only one month they will go for it or walk away. It's a renters market. Houses aren't selling, I've got two friends who are trying to sell their houses, have dropped 100,000 euro on the asking price and still can't shift them. Property isn't selling so they are flooding the rental market so rents are plummeting. Or try to get a flat share. Try Cyprus Weekly etc. Rents on apartments tart in Paphos from 250 Euro 1 bed appt, 300+ 2 bed, 400 2 bed appt with shared pool. I know of a family who are leaving in April and are still under contract for a few months. They've got a good 2 bed with shared pool and fantastic sea view. I'll ask them how much they'd want for someone to take over the lease, might be a bargain.

5. Words of advice:

a) Bring enough cash to cover 2 months rent and a month up front deposit (You will need to put down a1 month deposit), months car hire (300+ euro) and living expenses. Don't think it's cheaper, it's not. Don't come with less that 2K and change as much as possible at the postoffice before you come. Don't think of renting a scooter, they're death traps.
ai) When looking at flats look as boring and wealthy as possible. If they see a young lad looking for fun they'll want 2 months deposit min. Better still borrow a girl and pretend to be a couple.

b)Bring warm clothes and electric blanket. Anything electronic is expensive here and if you are on a tight budget you can NOT afford to use the aircon for heating. The chances of getting an apartment with central heating on a budget are slim. Take all your DVD's and CD's out of their cases and bring them incase you don't get sky in your new home. Local TV is mostly in Greek.

c) Bring 2 proof of address of your UK address if you can, utility bills, a mobile bill won't work (don't worry too much about this) and your driving licence, both parts.

d) It's worth searching jobsites while you are in the uk. Try jobsearch. Cyta and many other companies though will ignore e-mails as they get tons. Best way of getting work is to phone or (best way) go in and speak to HR when you get here. No harm in getting something set up for when you get here, then hit the market. Give yourself at least a week to bed in before starting work once you arrive.

Sound grim, it's not! It's great here. don't think you need to work in the tourist industry. Many of the hotels etc. are worried that people won't come this year thanks to the credit crunch, There's lots of proper jobs if you know who to talk to.

As I said I lived near Larnaca when I first came here and worked in Limassol. Larnaca is pretty and closes in the winter. Aiga Nappa is 18-30ish, Limassol is the huge and busy, Paphos is more laid back and friendly. But that's my opinion. Horses for courses. Get somewhere short term, explore and build your own dream.

You can message me by clicking on the private message thing at he top of the page if you want more info.

Good Luck.

Susan.

ArranLass Jan 28th 2009 1:26 am

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7220206)
Hi Tim,

1: When I first moved over I lived near Larnaca. I listened to the landlord and thought I'd moved to a mixed age community, turned out I was surrounded by retired people. I wanted quiet but not that quiet! I had a good look round and moved down to Paphos in November and there's a good bunch here, late 20's, 30's+. Each area has it's own style, with lots of enclaves. Most landlords want a year lease but you can shop around and negotiate or get a flat share. Get the Cyprus weekly etc. It's a renters market, there's tons out there and they will drop their price if you're reasonable. I found Paphos much cheaper than Limassol and Larnaca.

2. As far as work is concerned: My company sent me here last August. I was approached by their competition last November so I'm with a new company now, better company, less hassle, more money. My PA is leaving at the end of the month so I will be looking for someone to make appointments for me, and do general PA work etc. It's a good income, better than waiter wages by miles! However I'm based in Paphos. If you are interested in finding out more contact me by private message.

3. If you don't want to work in an office you can try Cytanet. They are the main telecom providers. There are other telecom companies, just do a search on the internet. I've no idea if they take non Greek speakers but nothing ventured? There's also plenty of publications looking for people to sell advertising. And then there's time share...

4. Yes accommodation is plentiful. There are a lot of expats leaving and tons of places up for rent. Many landlords are trying to get two months rent as a deposit. Don't fall for it. If you insist on only one month they will go for it or walk away. It's a renters market. Houses aren't selling, I've got two friends who are trying to sell their houses, have dropped 100,000 euro on the asking price and still can't shift them. Property isn't selling so they are flooding the rental market so rents are plummeting. Or try to get a flat share. Try Cyprus Weekly etc. Rents on apartments tart in Paphos from 250 Euro 1 bed appt, 300+ 2 bed, 400 2 bed appt with shared pool. I know of a family who are leaving in April and are still under contract for a few months. They've got a good 2 bed with shared pool and fantastic sea view. I'll ask them how much they'd want for someone to take over the lease, might be a bargain.

5. Words of advice:

a) Bring enough cash to cover 2 months rent and a month up front deposit (You will need to put down a1 month deposit), months car hire (300+ euro) and living expenses. Don't think it's cheaper, it's not. Don't come with less that 2K and change as much as possible at the postoffice before you come. Don't think of renting a scooter, they're death traps.
ai) When looking at flats look as boring and wealthy as possible. If they see a young lad looking for fun they'll want 2 months deposit min. Better still borrow a girl and pretend to be a couple.

b)Bring warm clothes and electric blanket. Anything electronic is expensive here and if you are on a tight budget you can NOT afford to use the aircon for heating. The chances of getting an apartment with central heating on a budget are slim. Take all your DVD's and CD's out of their cases and bring them incase you don't get sky in your new home. Local TV is mostly in Greek.

c) Bring 2 proof of address of your UK address if you can, utility bills, a mobile bill won't work (don't worry too much about this) and your driving licence, both parts.

d) It's worth searching jobsites while you are in the uk. Try jobsearch. Cyta and many other companies though will ignore e-mails as they get tons. Best way of getting work is to phone or (best way) go in and speak to HR when you get here. No harm in getting something set up for when you get here, then hit the market. Give yourself at least a week to bed in before starting work once you arrive.

Sound grim, it's not! It's great here. don't think you need to work in the tourist industry. Many of the hotels etc. are worried that people won't come this year thanks to the credit crunch, There's lots of proper jobs if you know who to talk to.

As I said I lived near Larnaca when I first came here and worked in Limassol. Larnaca is pretty and closes in the winter. Aiga Nappa is 18-30ish, Limassol is the huge and busy, Paphos is more laid back and friendly. But that's my opinion. Horses for courses. Get somewhere short term, explore and build your own dream.

You can message me by clicking on the private message thing at he top of the page if you want more info.

Good Luck.

Susan.

P.S Should hve said, the prices for rentals I gave are for just outside Paphos. The further you go into any town and better the view the higher the rent, ie. tiny 2 bed appartment in Limassol with shared pool and sea view 1000 euro+. Large bed fully furnishes deteched villa with private pool and sea view near Paphos 1200 euro.

7immyboy Jan 29th 2009 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7220206)
Hi Tim,

5. Words of advice:

Good Luck.

Susan.

Hi Susan

Thankyou so much for your time & effort Thats just sold it for me, hook...line and sinker. I really do feel that i know everything i need to know. I am smiling from ear to ear with the very prospect of it all. I`m going to book my flight and hotel right now!! I have waited long enough....:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I will be landing 28th Feb 2100 !!! WWOOHHOOOOO!!

davisadvent Jan 30th 2009 5:20 pm

As far as work is concerned: My company sent me here last August. I was approached by their competition last November so I'm with a new company now, better company, less hassle, more money. My PA is leaving at the end of the month so I will be looking for someone to make appointments for me, and do general PA work etc. It's a good income, better than waiter wages by miles! However I'm based in Paphos. If you are interested in finding out more contact me by private message.

hi arranlass, if your stilllooking for a PA, i'd be interested, i cantpm you as i haven't posted enough replies on the forum, if the vacancy is still available, please feel free to email me, & maybe we can have a chat

regards

chas

7immyboy Jan 30th 2009 7:28 pm

OK so its done.... Paphos 1st March :D

Elated but a tad scared, coming alone now, decided that it is best, have nowhere near enough money but hey ho, on a wing and a prayer, always thought that the easy way wasn`t nessacarily always the best way.Still, i`ll be fine, have a habit of falling on my feet. Maybe see some of you soon xx

Tim

davisadvent Feb 4th 2009 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by davisadvent (Post 7230363)
As far as work is concerned: My company sent me here last August. I was approached by their competition last November so I'm with a new company now, better company, less hassle, more money. My PA is leaving at the end of the month so I will be looking for someone to make appointments for me, and do general PA work etc. It's a good income, better than waiter wages by miles! However I'm based in Paphos. If you are interested in finding out more contact me by private message.

hi arranlass, if your stilllooking for a PA, i'd be interested, i cantpm you as i haven't posted enough replies on the forum, if the vacancy is still available, please feel free to email me, & maybe we can have a chat

regards

chas

hi arranlass, i still can't pm, or read your pm, would you kindly email me on [email protected]

regards

chas

Pollyana Feb 4th 2009 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by davisadvent (Post 7249234)
hi arranlass, i still can't pm, or read your pm, would you kindly email me on [email protected]

regards

chas

Once you have three posts you can read pms. :)

7immyboy Feb 4th 2009 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by ArranLass (Post 7220227)
P.S Should hve said, the prices for rentals I gave are for just outside Paphos. The further you go into any town and better the view the higher the rent, ie. tiny 2 bed appartment in Limassol with shared pool and sea view 1000 euro+. Large bed fully furnishes deteched villa with private pool and sea view near Paphos 1200 euro.

Hiya, Have emailed you CV and details as requested, look forward to speaking to you soon then :)

Tim

Hope you have received it anyway :)

Tim