Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

How hard is it getting work?

How hard is it getting work?

Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How hard is it getting work?

Hi Honest H, you said your parents were retired and having a ball, which sounds good as I am almost in early retirement mode (work a few hours a day, internet business). I am tempted by Cyprus, the widespread English and climate being the two dominant factor for me, as well as reasonable property prices. I would tend to buy as soon as I found an area I liked, as property has weird up and down cycles (the UK in an obvious down cycle but still with a lot demand underneath the surface) and unless rent is really cheap it tends to be a waste of money and quite nasty when there is a sudden upsurge in prices. Obviously, if you need to work then property becomes related to where that work is so renting may make sense esp if you take a job just to get started whilst looking for something better.
On starting your own business, is there a lot of red tape and tax, like say in Spain, or is it more like the UK where you only get done for tax when you turn a profit (or like it used to be haven't done any business there since Labour came in and I know there are loads of new regulations for tradesmen etc)? Be interesting to see how things go when the Euro comes in.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How hard is it getting work?

Originally Posted by britishbull
Hi Honest H, you said your parents were retired and having a ball, which sounds good as I am almost in early retirement mode (work a few hours a day, internet business). I am tempted by Cyprus, the widespread English and climate being the two dominant factor for me, as well as reasonable property prices. I would tend to buy as soon as I found an area I liked, as property has weird up and down cycles (the UK in an obvious down cycle but still with a lot demand underneath the surface) and unless rent is really cheap it tends to be a waste of money and quite nasty when there is a sudden upsurge in prices. Obviously, if you need to work then property becomes related to where that work is so renting may make sense esp if you take a job just to get started whilst looking for something better.
On starting your own business, is there a lot of red tape and tax, like say in Spain, or is it more like the UK where you only get done for tax when you turn a profit (or like it used to be haven't done any business there since Labour came in and I know there are loads of new regulations for tradesmen etc)? Be interesting to see how things go when the Euro comes in.
British Bull,

I'm not familiar with starting a business here in Cyprus. Although, if its like everything else, yes, there will be red tape, reels and reels of it. I know a few people with businesses, and as long as your prepared, then its fine. The only thing you have to be careful with, is the type of business and where you'll be based.

A lot of businesses run by ex pats will not get the cypriot customer base, it will all be ex pats. Cypriots don't like anyone coming here and running a business, they see it as taking something away from them.

Friends with a fish and chip shop in Larnaca were literally driven out by the Cypriot businesses around them, not only just because of lack of customers, but the pressure put on them by the owners of the businesses.

The ideal business would have something computer based that you could do from home. You won't be treading on people's toes that way.

Cyprus is great for retirees.