HELP!!

Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Broomys Dream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!!

Oh Dear I don't know where to start! I have just registered on this website don't know what I am doing have never been on one before this is my first ever blog if it works. Myself and my husband are looking to retire to Cyprus and would like to get some input and advice from the lovely British Xpats already living their dream. We have only just started on our journey to see if it is possible I need to gather as much information as I can about everything from the move, where to in Cyprus, healthcare medical insurance, settling down & buying a property.
I would very much appreciate anyone who can help and point us in the right direction.

Many Thanks

Elaine
Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:40 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!

Originally Posted by Broomys Dream
Oh Dear I don't know where to start! I have just registered on this website don't know what I am doing have never been on one before this is my first ever blog if it works. Myself and my husband are looking to retire to Cyprus and would like to get some input and advice from the lovely British Xpats already living their dream. We have only just started on our journey to see if it is possible I need to gather as much information as I can about everything from the move, where to in Cyprus, healthcare medical insurance, settling down & buying a property.
I would very much appreciate anyone who can help and point us in the right direction.

Many Thanks

Elaine
Hi Elaine and welcome to the forum

We have a section for Cyprus - Cyprus - British Expats - hopefully some members in the area can give you the advice you need

Good luck
Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Oh that's a relief I really don't know what I am doing I don't understand the website and what to do. Thank you so much for your reply gives me hope I have done something right! Do I need to click on the Cyprus British Xpat link you put in your reply? How funny that you are replying from Adelaide our eldest son lives in Sydney and has been out their 6 years now. Thanks for your help
Elaine
Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's a relief I really don't know what I am doing I don't understand the website and what to do. Thank you so much for your reply gives me hope I have done something right! Do I need to click on the Cyprus British Xpat link you put in your reply? How funny that you are replying from Adelaide our eldest son lives in Sydney and has been out their 6 years now. Thanks for your help
Elaine
You could, but I've moved your thread over to that section for you

We've only been in Adelaide now for about 16 months.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi
This is the first chance I have had to log back on since your reply and actually I am very disappointed & disillusioned! as apart from you I have had no other replies. Unfortunately unless I receive some sort of input from Cyprus Xpats who can provide some help for me not sure where to go from here and wonder if the site is going to be any help? I wonder if I have done the right thing as I don't know what I am doing.
Thank you once again for your support and wish you well in your new life in Adelaide.
Perhaps once we do make or not being the case move to Cyprus I will drop you a line, hope so!
Regards
Elaine
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
This is the first chance I have had to log back on since your reply and actually I am very disappointed & disillusioned! as apart from you I have had no other replies. Unfortunately unless I receive some sort of input from Cyprus Xpats who can provide some help for me not sure where to go from here and wonder if the site is going to be any help? I wonder if I have done the right thing as I don't know what I am doing.
Thank you once again for your support and wish you well in your new life in Adelaide.
Perhaps once we do make or not being the case move to Cyprus I will drop you a line, hope so!
Regards
Elaine

Hi,
It looks like you do know what you're doing, so firstly stop worrying.
I've just stopped to look in from the French forum so unfortunately can't offer you particularly precise advice on Cyprus - although I have been there several times for work and vacation.
Don't be disappointed or disillusioned. Bear in mind it's holiday season, and many expats who frequently use this forum may be away for weeks if not months, or busy entertaining visiting family friends, so not reading these pages as often as normal during these summer months. But some folks will surely be back eventually to offer advise.
You may wish to provide some more information, so that people can help you as much as possible.

1. What made you decide on Cyprus as a potential retirement location?
2. Have you preferred areas that you'd like to live? North or south? Huge difference when I was there!
3. How many times have you visited?
4. Would you plan to sell-up completely in UK? etc......

Have you read all the previous threads on this Cyprus forum? There are 3 pages, so a fair amount of information already exists. I suggest you start with the threads that are shown with the greatest number of replies.
Still in a helpful mood, HERE is another link to general info on Cyprus. (Just click on the blue 'HERE' link). And on that page on the right, there is additional related advise.

In a week or two if you still have received no positive replies, stay cool, post again here, with a simple comment, "Any advise on my previous query please."
Good luck.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi Many Thanks for your reply and greatly appreciated comments which I have taken on board. Actually I really don't know what I am doing! Is it like emails? where each one follows on from the original.. in this case thread? To be honest I was waiting for some initial reply where I could then respond and provide more in-depth details of our position and ask specific questions. We have been to Paphos in Cyprus twice before and loved it! we are due to holiday on 1st October for 2 weeks going to Protaras to try a different area. Yes we are looking to sell our property in the UK and move out, cause if we don't do it now we never will and it has been something that we have thought about on and off for years but the timing has been off. Looking to find a better environment enjoy our retirement for me when it comes now 6 years my husband who is a very young 72 yrs has already retired so depending on finances as whether I may try and seek part time work or can afford not to, we won't really know that until we get some idea of property prices living & possible medical insurance. We were hoping to make some sort of contact with xpats in Cyprus before our trip in October to point us in the right direction to get the info we need. I will take a look at the here you provided and look for the 3 pages on Cyprus that I haven't seen yet.
Best Wishes
Elaine
Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as you read my note and replied, means you were able to locate your own thread without any problem. So you're doing something right!
Now check out some of the other subject threads on the Cyprus forum, which will help you to become familiar with the site. (You don't need to be logged-on to read any of the threads, only to post a message).
Bear in mind that most folks on holiday usually see a country through rose-coloured glasses. Great weather, cheery hotel environment, glass of wine with friends etc. It's only when one lives in a new location - especially abroad that one becomes aware of the hard realities. Frequent nonchalance of the locals and difficulties to get maintenance tasks/repairs performed, familiar foodstuffs more expensive than UK, water shortages etc, are just a few issues that make many of us expats frustrated from time to time.
I spent quite some time in Larnaca, Limassol and Paphos, and never forget that latter location one evening in February. I was called out to Paphos airport one evening, to help diagnose a particularly unusual problem on an aircraft I was responsible for. Working out in the open, sorted it out around midnight, by which time the temperature had dropped to 2 degrees and.... it started snowing! By 2:30 in the morning with the task completed, myself and the mechanics were frozen through, and were glad to beat a retreat from Paphos on that occasion. I'm sure that's unusual, but you never can tell.
(Just Googled and read that in recent years several districts in Larnaca, Limassol and Paphos have recorded up to 10cms of snow in Jan or Feb).
You should have no problem in Oct though. Enjoy your holiday.