Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Has someone moved from the Canaries to Cyprus ? What made you do that ?

Has someone moved from the Canaries to Cyprus ? What made you do that ?

Old Apr 15th 2020, 1:42 pm
ea8
Just Joined

ea8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has someone moved from the Canaries to Cyprus ? What made you do that ?

We are family of 5 from the UK.

Moved to one smaller Western non-tourist Canary island of La Palma a couple of years ago.

Prior to that spent a few years visiting the Balearic, Cyprus and the Canary Islands.

The children are now talking Spanish between them, document wise etc we are "settled" in the Canaries.

Attempted to buy the property 3 times - all failed - sellers withdrawing or hiking prices at the last stage or demanding that they would only sell to a gay couple like them without children (WTF ?). The last one was just 2 days before the COVID19 lockdown was announced in Spain.

The choice between the Canaries and Cyprus in the past was won by the Canaries due to better weather (not too cold in winter and not too hot in summer) and the Spanish language overall vs Greek language (children go to state schools).

Yet the quality of life, accommodation and the housing issue on our small island has made us think about Cyprus again.

The larger Canarian islands like GC and TF are out of question - overpopulated. The windy islands of FV and LZ are out of the question, too - the wind drives my wife mad. EL and LG are too small/rugged.

So we have run out of the Canarian islands, to choose from, basically.

Do not fancy going back to the UK, too.

So, my question for those on this forum, if any, who moved from the UK to the Canaries and then moved to Cyprus and remained there - what made you do that ?

Last edited by ea8; Apr 15th 2020 at 1:46 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has someone moved from the Canaries to Cyprus ? What made you do that ?

Originally Posted by ea8

Moved to one smaller Western non-tourist Canary island of La Palma a couple of years ago.

Prior to that spent a few years visiting the Balearic, Cyprus and the Canary Islands.

The children are now talking Spanish between them, document wise etc we are "settled" in the Canaries.

Attempted to buy the property 3 times - all failed - sellers withdrawing or hiking prices at the last stage or demanding that they would only sell to a gay couple like them without children (WTF ?). The last one was just 2 days before the COVID19 lockdown was announced in Spain.

The choice between the Canaries and Cyprus in the past was won by the Canaries due to better weather (not too cold in winter and not too hot in summer) and the Spanish language overall vs Greek language (children go to state schools).

Yet the quality of life, accommodation and the housing issue on our small island has made us think about Cyprus again.

The larger Canarian islands like GC and TF are out of question - overpopulated. The windy islands of FV and LZ are out of the question, too - the wind drives my wife mad. EL and LG are too small/rugged.

So, my question for those on this forum, if any, who moved from the UK to the Canaries and then moved to Cyprus and remained there - what made you do that ?
I doubt many people would actually make the move from the Canaries to Cyprus these days, but maybe I'm wrong. I have a colleague who bought property in Cyprus when it was still popular and regrets it now. The quality of housing (according to him) seems to be a lot worse than Spain and not to mention location. So it does make me worry that you write "Yet the quality of life, accommodation and the housing issue on our small island has made us think about Cyprus again." Question is why it has to be an island again and why Cyprus.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 4:44 pm
ea8
Just Joined

ea8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has someone moved from the Canaries to Cyprus ? What made you do that ?

Well, the CY pros are:

- Part of the EU as I have to work remotely
- Warm weather
- Better house quality compared to La Palma
- English-speaking population (we are a mixed family)
- My hobby - being on the Islands is a must :-)

Compared to La Palma Cyprus is much more attractive visually and culturally, to my wife.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ea8
Well, the CY pros are:

- Part of the EU as I have to work remotely
- Warm weather
- Better house quality compared to La Palma
- English-speaking population (we are a mixed family)
- My hobby - being on the Islands is a must :-)

Compared to La Palma Cyprus is much more attractive visually and culturally, to my wife.
Part of the EU but many problems too. Properties might look modern but if you have a closer look the standards are far worse than Spain. Of course this can happen anywhere and also Spain but my friend who is Spanish showed me pictures of many properties in Cyprus and the standards are really terrible.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...andslides.html

Mainland Spain might not be an Island but if you can find a better home, kids speak Spanish I don't know why that wouldn't be an option. You have a beach, houses and streets which is no different to Cyprus.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 15th 2020 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

I found La Palma incredibly attractive visually when I visited. Which just goes to show how different it is to actually live somewhere!

I wonder whether really the truth of it is that you're just bored of living on what is a fairly small and remote island? Otherwise I think I might keep looking for a house, personally.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ea8

If being on an island is a must.. what about Mallorca or Menorca .?