First time

Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

positive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to all
Smile First time

Hi my name is Pam, i am currently living in South yorkshire with my husband Roy.We really want to retire to Cyprus in the next two years.Havent done this before so hope i am getting it right.So, can anyone help me by telling me where to start?Only place we have so far visited is Paphos and wondered if this is a good place to start.Would love to hear from anyone who has just moved or is perhaps thinking of doing the same.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time

Originally Posted by positive pam
Hi my name is Pam, i am currently living in South yorkshire with my husband Roy.We really want to retire to Cyprus in the next two years.Havent done this before so hope i am getting it right.So, can anyone help me by telling me where to start?Only place we have so far visited is Paphos and wondered if this is a good place to start.Would love to hear from anyone who has just moved or is perhaps thinking of doing the same.
Hi Pam,
I suppose that people will tell you that wherever they live is the best.
I for one will definitely always say paphos is best having looked at other areas before we bought over here. We travel around the island a lot and can never wait to get back to Paphos. Limassol is too built up and frantic for our tastes, the East coast is too much like a boring moonscape for our tastes.
Paphos has some areas which have a lot of expats if thats what you want but also areas which are still much more traditional Cypriot if that is your preference.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

positive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to all
Smile Re: First time

Hi and thanks Veronica and i have to say we fell in love with Paphos as soon as we landed.So, i understand what you mean.We are thinking about long term renting and i wondered if that would be a feasible option?We would be perhaps thinking of an older property and not a tourist place and also would be bringing our two little dogs.So would we be able to possibly find somewhere like that with a garden of some description.Hope i am not asking too many questions.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and thanks Veronica and i have to say we fell in love with Paphos as soon as we landed.So, i understand what you mean.We are thinking about long term renting and i wondered if that would be a feasible option?We would be perhaps thinking of an older property and not a tourist place and also would be bringing our two little dogs.So would we be able to possibly find somewhere like that with a garden of some description.Hope i am not asking too many questions.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Pam, there are plenty of properties to rent but I would caution you not to rent direct from a Cypriot owner. Use a reputable agent or find something which is advertised on some of the websites where owners advertise direct and find a British owner.
Make sure though that you don't use an agent who asks you for a fee. Agents fees are paid by the owner but some try to get the client to pay them a fee as well. If this happens walk away and find another agent.

Regards
Veronica
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Troym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: First time

hi there I am in the same boat with my partner here in the uk, moving to paphos cyprus with his granparents who have lived there for over 7years. so in some way we have a better chance for a start as we have them to support us and live with, while we get our feet on the role. Just would like to say good luck with all and hope your happy with your new life. And dont worry about emotions (your other post) as its perfectly normal to feel these things.
but u will never be letting your family down, if anything showing them how strong and brave you are.
wish you all the luck in the world.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Troym1987, and thanks for that.. It is quite a daunting prospect and three of my children have already done it, all to different countries. So, we have given them the strength to do that but, for me just a little harder. What made your grandparents move to Paphos, was it just to retire or to work at the time? I hope your move goes well and that it is all you hoped it would be. Keep in touch and let me know how you find the transition and how it all goes.
Best wishes Pam
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Troym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the roughTroym1987 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Troym1987, and thanks for that.. It is quite a daunting prospect and three of my children have already done it, all to different countries. So, we have given them the strength to do that but, for me just a little harder. What made your grandparents move to Paphos, was it just to retire or to work at the time? I hope your move goes well and that it is all you hoped it would be. Keep in touch and let me know how you find the transition and how it all goes.
Best wishes Pam
hi there pam, yh they retired out there, they say its loverly and the people are nice and friendly. which i am hopeing is true, My partner and my self are looking for work atm...so if you know any good sites it will be very very helpful!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi again, I am sorry i am no help with that at all. Don't know anything about the job market but hopefully someone on the forum may be able to help you out with ideas or suggestions. Or try looking back over old threads that might have been posted before about the same subject. I have found many extremely helpful and have learnt a lot.
Good luck with that.
Best Wishes Pam
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

You do not mention if you have travelled around the island at all. I think you should travel around the island first before you make a decision to settle down. There are many nice places to live, and you will never have a problem renting a home at the moment.

You could also visit some online photo sites to see other places on the island before you come over to Cyprus, that will save you a lot of travelling too.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi zygiman, not sure if you are writing to me or troym1987. If it's me then yes we have been to cyprus several times and love it. We intend to rent and hopefully somewhere near Paphos. No definate area so will be open, but have had several offers of assistance in looking etc. Roy(my hubby) doesn't retire fully until the end of this year, but after that...
Anyway, as always thank you because everyone offers such good help and ideas.
Best wishes Pam.