Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Family of 5 moving from the uk to Famagusta!!

Family of 5 moving from the uk to Famagusta!!

Old Sep 25th 2018, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

CJones85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family of 5 moving from the uk to Famagusta!!

Hi all,

I have just joined this forum and would love to hear from families that have done the 'big move' from the UK to Cyprus we have 3 sons, aged 2, 8 and 14. The UK is getting from bad to worse with crime, its so widespread, from bike theft , to knife crime, its horrific! I do not want to bring my children up in the UK any longer than I need to! We have been to Cyprus every year for the past 7 years and we have now decided, after talking and talking about it, that we are going to sell up and take the plunge!! All advice/tips/success stories welcome please. We will not be buying.. we will rent long term for 12 months plus and see how it all goes.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family of 5 moving from the uk to Famagusta!!

Hi, welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by CJones85
The UK is getting from bad to worse with crime, its so widespread, from bike theft , to knife crime, its horrific! I do not want to bring my children up in the UK any longer than I need to!
I don't blame you if it's like that where you live. Don't assume that all of the UK is like that though, there are still plenty of super safe areas. I don't even lock my door or car most of the time (rural Berkshire) and my children are having the best childhoods here.

Good luck with the move, I'm sure that those in Cyprus will be able to give you lots of good advice and tips.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 25th 2018 at 1:06 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. When are you planning on moving? Sounds like it's soon but just thought I'd ask in case leaving the EU will have an impact - those in the know on this part of the forum will no doubt be able to advise further.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

I don't blame you if it's like that where you live. Don't assume that all of the UK is like that though, there are still plenty of super safe areas. I don't even lock my back door most of the time (rural Berkshire) and my children are having the best childhoods here.
This is the third move for us in the uk, we cannot seem to find a place to settle without there being issues somewhere. But yes for sure, not the whole of the UK. I guess we have been unlucky! Time for a complete fresh start and hopefully the last move!!
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

P.S. When are you planning on moving? Sounds like it's soon but just thought I'd ask in case leaving the EU will have an impact - those in the know on this part of the forum will no doubt be able to advise further.
Thank you very much. It is looking likely to be March/April 2019..
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

This is the third move for us in the uk, we cannot seem to find a place to settle without there being issues somewhere. But yes for sure, not the whole of the UK. I guess we have been unlucky! Time for a complete fresh start and hopefully the last move!!
Gosh, how horrid. I hope that the move works out as you hope, best of luck.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Gosh, how horrid. I hope that the move works out as you hope, best of luck.
Thank you very much
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you very much. It is looking likely to be March/April 2019..
Better plan for before 29 March, just in case! Or hope a deal can be reached.......
Old Sep 27th 2018, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

All advice welcome please.

What are you going to do for work? The rule about international parenting is this - if you're taking children to live abroad, you need to ensure you have income to give them the security of a regular home while everything else around them is new and unfamiliar.
What are you going to do for schools? Have you looked into the cost of private education for the 14 year old, because he won't be able to learn Greek anywhere near as quickly as the 2 year old, and he'll have school leaving exams within a couple of years.

Holidays are something else, it's a break from real life. But problems don't disappear when you move to a new country; they have a tendency to relocate with you and then change form.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
All advice welcome please.

What are you going to do for work? The rule about international parenting is this - if you're taking children to live abroad, you need to ensure you have income to give them the security of a regular home while everything else around them is new and unfamiliar.
What are you going to do for schools? Have you looked into the cost of private education for the 14 year old, because he won't be able to learn Greek anywhere near as quickly as the 2 year old, and he'll have school leaving exams within a couple of years.

Holidays are something else, it's a break from real life. But problems don't disappear when you move to a new country; they have a tendency to relocate with you and then change form.
thank you for your response. Are you living in Cyprus yourself? Are you saying that If we move to Cyprus the bike theft, knife crime and general crime in most parts of the uk are going to follow us?
We have £150k plus in savings. My husband will move his business over to Cyprus. And I will do what I can work wise. Our 2 older children hopefully will get into the private English school xenion..
Old Sep 28th 2018, 10:23 am
Just Joined

uk03878 will become famous soon enough

We are looking to go to Cyprus as well (but we have waited for the kids to grow up). Our part of the UK is in effect relative crime free, the only problem we get are a few kids who get a bit anti social during the school holidays.
Unfortunately I can't move until after Brexit - so the choice of going to Cyprus might be a bit more strict after then.
We first discounted Cyprus due to what we perceived as high property costs - but after looking at numerous web sites we have found lower cost rentals than we imagined (we are planning on spending around 900-1000 Euros for a townhouse/villa on long term rental)
Here are a few of the web sites we looked at:
https://www.onlinecyprus.com/index.php?page=search&cid=343&hw_num=10&f_types_ex =Detached+House&f_price_max=2400&s_res=AND&off=3
https://www.buycyprusproperty.com/property-city-and-type/?type=for-rent&city=paphos

The tax situation looks very advantageous however because we are less than 67 - we have had quotes for Health Insurance (which you might already have found is mandatory) to be around €250 a month for basic (and thats just for two adults)

You might also need to check if your grandchildren (when you get them) will still be entitled to a UK passport if your kids stay in Cyprus when they get older and marry a Cypriot (Perhaps others can comment). I would clarify that really quickly as it would advantageous for the grandchildren to be able to come to the UK without problems and settle if they wanted to
Old Sep 28th 2018, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your helpful reply. All the best
Old Nov 13th 2018, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Katie,

Thank you for commenting on this thread. We are looking at long term rentals in the following areas: Paralimni, Liopetri, Kapparis, Xylophagou and surrounding… oh yes of course, you are going to get some level of crime wherever you go, I am fully aware of that. Where abouts in Cyprus are you living?

Thanks x
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

.......The UK is getting from bad to worse with crime, its so widespread, from bike theft , to knife crime, its horrific! I do not want to bring my children up in the UK any longer than I need to!.
I would not bank on the fact that this sort of thing just happens in the UK:

https://cyprus-mail.com/category/cyprus/crime/
Old Nov 15th 2018, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Charliebobba is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Family of 5 moving from the uk to Famagusta!!

What a great idea! All the very best in your plans! We're in the process of moving over too! Its a bit hectic and stressful at the moment, we're going in 42 days i think! 28-Dec-18 to be exact! For moving we are using RSS Logisitics based in Cyprus who are brilliant! We have a house there already - in Tala, near Paphos. You're looking to go to Famagusta? So North Cyprus? I don't know much about this aspect, i guess you would have to do things via Turkey and then move across from there. The advantage of Cyprus Republic is its in the EU so the transition is much easier i suppose, for the moment at least. Its also a more stable country. Turkey has had its moments this year of course. Cyprus is a fantastic country, with friendly people, both North and South - i can't wait to visit the North once we're settled. I can't really advise given its a country not recognised, under occupation etc.....but i wish you all the very best with your new adventures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.