British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/)
-   -   driving our pet from the UK into Northern Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/driving-our-pet-uk-into-northern-cyprus-933515/)

jessica090 Jun 30th 2020 7:48 pm

driving our pet from the UK into Northern Cyprus

Hi,

I have just accepted a job in Kyrenia. We want to get out shar-pei bulldog cross so she can live with us. I have contacted some pet transport companies and they can get her from Gatwick to Larnaca on TUI airlines and have some Cypriot dog charities facilitate getting her from Southsern Cyprus into Northern Cyprus. However, the fact that British airways will not fly her breed mix because of possibly breathing issues is freaking me out. She is getting her vaccinations and pet pass port tomorrow so I am going to ask the vet if they think she is fit enough to travel in the cargo hold. She will also be getting her rabies TITRE test before she comes out with us - to ensure she if prepared to get into the TRNC and back to the UK is necessary.

In the mean time I am trying to find ways around flying. I have found pet friendly ferry companies from the UK into EU countries, but I need help with the rest. Has anyone done the drive or even took trains? If so, what route did you take? What was it like checking your dogs in and out of customs at the boarders? Will the ferry from Turkey to Cyprus allow dogs on it? etc etc.

Thanks,

Jess

Has anyone done the drive through Europe with their dog?

janis.lyn Jul 3rd 2020 10:13 pm

Re: driving our pet from the UK into Northern Cyprus

Hi Jess,

We're in the same boat, trying to relocate from the UK to Cyprus (Limassol) and have 3 dogs (one of which is a husky with a mild SAS diagnosis). I am way too worried to fly him cargo. We also considered Turkey by land and then the ferry to Kyrenia however I found this website (it's called pettravel.com - not allowed to post URLs as I just made the account to respond to this post - found this forum while googling for options to relocate our dogs :)) ) saying that "Pets entering Northern Cyprus must do so by air at the Ercan International Airport.". I also read in a few places that the ferry does not allow pets. I also remember reading that the transfer of animals from north to south is not possible due to regulations of south not recognizing north as a point of entry so I'm not sure if this applies the other way around or not. We haven't found an option yet either but I'm following this in case someone knows more. We were thinking...worst case to find someone with a boat and go there on land from one of the Greek islands or possibly from the turkish coast (although that's probably not easy to do because of the political situation).

dmu Jul 4th 2020 10:14 am

Re: driving our pet from the UK into Northern Cyprus

Originally Posted by jessica090 (Post 12874329)
Hi,

I have just accepted a job in Kyrenia. We want to get out shar-pei bulldog cross so she can live with us. I have contacted some pet transport companies and they can get her from Gatwick to Larnaca on TUI airlines and have some Cypriot dog charities facilitate getting her from Southsern Cyprus into Northern Cyprus. However, the fact that British airways will not fly her breed mix because of possibly breathing issues is freaking me out. She is getting her vaccinations and pet pass port tomorrow so I am going to ask the vet if they think she is fit enough to travel in the cargo hold. She will also be getting her rabies TITRE test before she comes out with us - to ensure she if prepared to get into the TRNC and back to the UK is necessary.

In the mean time I am trying to find ways around flying. I have found pet friendly ferry companies from the UK into EU countries, but I need help with the rest. Has anyone done the drive or even took trains? If so, what route did you take? What was it like checking your dogs in and out of customs at the boarders? Will the ferry from Turkey to Cyprus allow dogs on it? etc etc.

Thanks,

Jess

Has anyone done the drive through Europe with their dog?

Hi from the France forum. If you take a train in France (in fact at least two, as animals aren't allowed on Eurostar), you would have to buy a ticket for your dog when you book yours, and keep her muzzled the whole time (all dogs weighing more than 6 kg have to be muzzled, lighter ones stay in a "container" on the floor or its owner's lap.
@janis.lyn - a google search showed that only 2 dogs (or 2 containers) are allowed
I wish you the best of luck if you choose to travel through Europe by train with your pets - each country must have its own rules and regulations and you'd have to research each one....
HTH