Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

driving in cyprus

driving in cyprus

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

mandy21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving in cyprus

My family and i are moving to cyprus in january i m after some advice re my daughter who is 17yrs and holds a full uk licence to see whether she is allowed to drive there, anyone help.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: driving in cyprus

Originally Posted by mandy21
My family and i are moving to cyprus in january i m after some advice re my daughter who is 17yrs and holds a full uk licence to see whether she is allowed to drive there, anyone help.
I think you have to be 18 years old before you can take a Cyprus driving test for cars. Not sure if its 17 for scooters etc.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

yummymummy150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it is 18.The drivers are mad you daughter will need as much extra driving she can get before you come.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:00 am
Just Joined

mandy21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks but i m still confused then does she have to wait until she is 18 or can she drive on her full uk licence,
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:14 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandy21
Thanks but i m still confused then does she have to wait until she is 18 or can she drive on her full uk licence,
She will have to wait till she is old enough, as her UK licence is valid pending the resident country stipulations.

"Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as is remains valid. You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate.

National licences may only carry an address from the country which issued that licence. We are therefore unable to re-issue your British licence with a foreign address. It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences."
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Location: Limassol, Cyprus - in a suburb about 15 minutes drive from the tourist area.
CypruswithBabies is an unknown quantity at this point

You daughter will have to wait till she is 18 before she will be allowed to drive legally in Cyprus. You may also have to put her on your own insurance as the insurers are a bit loathe to insure young drivers without driving experience from "foreign" countries.

We bought a scooter for our son when he visits us and he was only 17 at the time. We did eventually get insurance but only because the scooter had to be in my husbands name as they would not allow it in our son's name because he was underage.

Sorry, but it's probably not the answer you were looking for

Regards
CypruswithBabies!