British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/)
-   -   Cost of Living (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/cost-living-595135/)

bakedbean Mar 3rd 2009 6:42 am

Cost of Living

I've been going through a lot of threads on this subforum about the cost of living. From what I can make out a lot of people think that costs have risen dramatically. Some people are saying that some things are cheaper than UK and some things higher. Can anyone give any insight on this?

I am looking at retirement possibilities at the moment. Can someone give an idea of what their living costs are excluding rent? I would probably rent first then buy later so want to get an idea of what I would need to live on in Cyprus. I suspect its going to be too expensive for me.

Umpatan Mar 5th 2009 7:00 am

Re: Cost of Living

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 7339977)
I've been going through a lot of threads on this subforum about the cost of living. From what I can make out a lot of people think that costs have risen dramatically. Some people are saying that some things are cheaper than UK and some things higher. Can anyone give any insight on this?

I am looking at retirement possibilities at the moment. Can someone give an idea of what their living costs are excluding rent? I would probably rent first then buy later so want to get an idea of what I would need to live on in Cyprus. I suspect its going to be too expensive for me.

Where is cypress located geographically? I heard that the Cypress Pound is higher than the British pound.

Manc Mar 5th 2009 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Umpatan (Post 7347157)
Where is cypress located geographically? I heard that the Cypress Pound is higher than the British pound.

CYPRUS.

south of Turkey.

Honest_H Mar 6th 2009 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Umpatan (Post 7347157)

We use Euro's now!

ArranLass Mar 17th 2009 4:30 pm

Food is generally around 40% more than the UK although if you shop in the markets it is a bit cheaper and fruit and vege are cheaper. Electricity is more but you will usle less in the summer. Water rates and council tax is much lower. I pay 28 EUR a quarter for water and 120 EUR a year council tax. You can get a nice appartment for 400-500 EUR a month. Cars also cost a lot more here, you may want to look into shipping a car from the UK.

melydave Mar 19th 2009 3:48 pm

Hello, We have just spent a month in cyprus looking at areas to relocate. Costs have gone up quite dramatically, particularly with regard to food. This is obviously due to the GBP against Euro. We also are retired,but have decided to put our dream on hold as it is generally too expensive to enjoy.

liliand May 5th 2009 1:44 pm

Hi,
We have just spent two years checking out retirement countries around the world from our perch in the Caribbean on our final working contract -
see malaysia mm2h scheme, Thailand scheme;
Panama - pensionado retirement scheme, Belize, Costa Rica schemes,
each with various benefits to retirees.
These have much cheaper costs of living, excellent medical facilities, but with some language and geographical drawbacks - long flight times to UK, fares to consider - although very tempting in terms of cultural interest with plenty of multi-country english speaking expatrates living / retired or even working in situ.

However we would like to be in the sun nearer Europe and were thinking, after reading these posts on several threads that Cyprus might fit the bill, even if the cost of living is more or less the same as UK - its sunnier and healthier in Cyprus - yes? And closer to the UK!

Malta looks far more expensive and boringly flat, for example. I'd love to retire to Crete but can't find out much about that.

Is the Med played out - or is it a healthier sunnier life there for retirees?
The reciprocal health scheme vis a vis Uk sems complicated - what do people do when they fall ill?
Thanks for your valuable comments in advance. Lilian and Mike

Honest_H May 6th 2009 5:40 am

Originally Posted by liliand (Post 7542913)
Hi,
We have just spent two years checking out retirement countries around the world from our perch in the Caribbean on our final working contract -
see malaysia mm2h scheme, Thailand scheme;
Panama - pensionado retirement scheme, Belize, Costa Rica schemes,
each with various benefits to retirees.
These have much cheaper costs of living, excellent medical facilities, but with some language and geographical drawbacks - long flight times to UK, fares to consider - although very tempting in terms of cultural interest with plenty of multi-country english speaking expatrates living / retired or even working in situ.

However we would like to be in the sun nearer Europe and were thinking, after reading these posts on several threads that Cyprus might fit the bill, even if the cost of living is more or less the same as UK - its sunnier and healthier in Cyprus - yes? And closer to the UK!

Malta looks far more expensive and boringly flat, for example. I'd love to retire to Crete but can't find out much about that.

Is the Med played out - or is it a healthier sunnier life there for retirees?
The reciprocal health scheme vis a vis Uk sems complicated - what do people do when they fall ill?
Thanks for your valuable comments in advance. Lilian and Mike

Lillian and Mike,

Have you got an E121, if so, all your medical expenses will be claimed back from the UK. You will need to go to a state hospital for this to work. State hospitals are fine, I've heard good and bad reports. Maybe someone else on the forum can comment.

As for the cost of living, I'd say that its much more expensive that the UK. A local newspaper did a survey of the cost of basic items in a basket shop. Items were compared with Sainsburys in the UK and various supermarkets here. Over all the Cyprus shopping basket was a massive €29 more expensive. This was only for about 15 items.

Utilities are on par with UK, but they are getting more expensive. Plus, the water shortage is an issue. True that there has been a lot of rain in the past 6 months, but, if people continue to waste water, then the situation will be back to square 1 very shortly.

Cyprus isn't for everyone, we're going back to the UK as soon as we can secure jobs. My parents who retired here, are also going back. They have different reasons that we do, mainly racism, discrimination and health care. On the other side of the coin, they have a great social life here and have made some very good friends. They will miss them terribly.

For us, its lack of opportunities for my daughters. The school they go to is a good one in comparison to other schools here, but they are still missing out on basics both at school and socially.

As I say, Cyprus isn't for everyone, but for some its the best move they ever made. You must make up your own minds about the country. Do your research and maybe try an extended visit before making any decision

To all other readers - this is just my opinion, I know a lot of you are very happy here.

liliand May 7th 2009 9:19 am

Thnak you for your frank reply - we understand your decisions, having lived as expatriates overseas fo most of our careers!
Its never an easy decision to stay away from your birth-country and culture - always a challenge.
We have had many interesting experiences, and have made good friends too everywhere, and look forward to being near the UK again.
So we will take your advice and spend time in Cyprus as you suggest before making a comittment.
Thanks again. hope it all works out for you and yours.

We're currently working in the Cayman Islands - probably one of the most expensive places to live on Earth, but OK while you are earning - can't save here though. Climate change has brought extra challenges in the form of hurricanes that we have decided we have had enough of - Ivan in 2004 - and we hate the necessary preparations and uncertainty they bring.

Is Cyprus prey to climate changes too? You mention water shortages - I guess water bills are expensive - is water always available?

Thansk again - good luck in the choices you make.Lilian and Mike.
Look forward to more comments / advice from Cyprus folk.:)

Honest_H May 7th 2009 9:30 am

Originally Posted by liliand (Post 7548762)
Thnak you for your frank reply - we understand your decisions, having lived as expatriates overseas fo most of our careers!
Its never an easy decision to stay away from your birth-country and culture - always a challenge.
We have had many interesting experiences, and have made good friends too everywhere, and look forward to being near the UK again.
So we will take your advice and spend time in Cyprus as you suggest before making a comittment.
Thanks again. hope it all works out for you and yours.

We're currently working in the Cayman Islands - probably one of the most expensive places to live on Earth, but OK while you are earning - can't save here though. Climate change has brought extra challenges in the form of hurricanes that we have decided we have had enough of - Ivan in 2004 - and we hate the necessary preparations and uncertainty they bring.

Is Cyprus prey to climate changes too? You mention water shortages - I guess water bills are expensive - is water always available?

Thansk again - good luck in the choices you make.Lilian and Mike.
Look forward to more comments / advice from Cyprus folk.:)

You'd think that water would be expensive, but, its not. Maybe that's half the problem. Its very cheap. Dependant on where you live to could have water every other day, or even once every 3 days. Limassol is probably worst hit.

Climate change. mmmm. We had a tornado a few weeks a go. I think you can see it on you tube if you type in "tornado in larnaca". There was a lot of damage around the eastern soverign base. There was another a few years ago, which I got caught up in. Very scarey. I'm not sure if that's down to climate change though. One thing is for sure, its not as bad as the storms you guys get.

You sound as if you have your heads screwed on, so I'm sure you will make the right decision.

liliand May 7th 2009 9:40 am

Thanks for that - I'll check out youtube too. Lilian:)

liliand May 7th 2009 9:53 am

So how often do you get tennis ball sized hailstones and twisters? What time of year? Lilian:(

Honest_H May 7th 2009 9:57 am

Originally Posted by liliand (Post 7548856)
So how often do you get tennis ball sized hailstones and twisters? What time of year? Lilian:(

It was two weeks ago. The twister a few years ago was around the same time. I think its something to do with the hotter air arriving for the summer.

We have one of the hail stones in our freezer. Its the same size as the ice cude its stuck to!!!