Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Contemplating Cyprus

Contemplating Cyprus

Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Rodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contemplating Cyprus

I have been approached to take a position in Cyprus.
Researched as much as I can on different sites.
I am aware of cost of living ,the "laid back attitude",taxation etc.
I would really like to hear from people who have made a life out there to hear what they have to say.
Not costs that is not an issue ,just the lifestyle and what it is truly like in and outside of the British Ex pat community.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Contemplating Cyprus

Cyprus is changing due to many factors, but the current economic problems have made a vast difference.
To really enjoy Cyprus, you should integrate, get to meet the locals, learning Greek would be a great advantage. If you just stay in contact with the Expat community, then you miss out on many things.
Cyprus offers a great outdoors lifestyle, the weather is pretty good for most of the year, this also depends where you live, the mountain areas are cooler.
There are beautiful places around the island, so travelling around will be a nice experience.
You are lucky to have employment, so i would grab the chance and go to Cyprus.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:16 am
Just Joined

jaguar58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rodster
I have been approached to take a position in Cyprus.HI THERE BEWARE ITS NOT AS GOOD AS IT WAS SOME CYPRIOTS ARE OK BUT MOST WILL TAKE YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE I KNOW I HAVE BEEN THERE AND NOW AM STUCK WITH A HOUSE I CANNOT SELL,ALSO YOU SAY YOU HAVE A JOB AGAIN ITS OK MHAVING THE JOB ITS THE GETTING PAID SORRY TO GIVE BAD NEWS BUT I WOUL RATHER TELL PEOPLE THE TRUTH NOT LIKE I GOT
Researched as much as I can on different sites.
I am aware of cost of living ,the "laid back attitude",taxation etc.
I would really like to hear from people who have made a life out there to hear what they have to say.
Not costs that is not an issue ,just the lifestyle and what it is truly like in and outside of the British Ex pat community.
HI THERE BEWARE ITS NOT AS GOOD AS IT WAS SOME CYPRIOTS ARE OK BUT MOST WILL TAKE YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE I KNOW I HAVE BEEN THERE AND NOW STUCK WITH A HOUSE I CANNOT SELL DUE TO BUILDERS TAKING OUT A MORTGAGE ON THE LAND MY HOUSE IS STANDING,ALSO YOU SAY YOU HAVE A JOB THATS OK ITS THE GETTING PAID SORRY TO GIVE BAD NEWS BUT I WOULD RATHER BE STRAIGHT NOT LIKE THE INFORMATION I GOT
Old Jul 17th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Is there a way for you to come to Cyprus for a visit first? You can get a feel for the place and help to make up your mind.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zygiman
Is there a way for you to come to Cyprus for a visit first? You can get a feel for the place and help to make up your mind.
yes you can go for a visit but you need to go as not a tourist and need to stay away from the tourist areas,but still be aware when talking to people, yes it is a nice place and nice weather its just now so expensive and not many jobs about
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

True there are not many jobs around but for anyone who has a decent job to come to, Cyprus is a great place to live. Personally I do not think it is expensive compared to the UK. Ok some things are more expensive but then there are a lot of things which make up for that and in the end it evens itself out.
I have been here for 7 years now and could not imagine going back to live in the UK. Whenever we go to visit family by the time we have seen them all we are ready to come 'home'. The UK is no longer home to us and I think it is unlikely it ever will be again.
We have friends in both the British expat community and the Cypriot community so we have the best of both worlds. We get inivited to local celebrations, weddings, village festivals etc and also enjoy nights out with British friends. In fact our circle of friends goes far beyond just British and Cypriot with friends from many ot her parts of the world who have settled here.
Life is good.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
True there are not many jobs around but for anyone who has a decent job to come to, Cyprus is a great place to live. Personally I do not think it is expensive compared to the UK. Ok some things are more expensive but then there are a lot of things which make up for that and in the end it evens itself out.
I have been here for 7 years now and could not imagine going back to live in the UK. Whenever we go to visit family by the time we have seen them all we are ready to come 'home'. The UK is no longer home to us and I think it is unlikely it ever will be again.
We have friends in both the British expat community and the Cypriot community so we have the best of both worlds. We get inivited to local celebrations, weddings, village festivals etc and also enjoy nights out with British friends. In fact our circle of friends goes far beyond just British and Cypriot with friends from many ot her parts of the world who have settled here.
Life is good.
SORRY I HAVE TO DISAGREE AS THEY MADE MY LIFE AND CERTAINLEY MY WIFES LIFE HARD TRYING TO GET ALL THE CORRECT PAPERWORK AND NOW I HAVE JUST FOUND OUT I CANNOT SELL MY HOUSE BECAUSE OF A CORRUPT DEVELOPERS SO AGAIN HERE I GO WITH MY HARD EARNED MONEY SUPPOSED TO GIVE IT TO A CYPRIOT FOR NO FAULT OF MINE ONLY THE BANK AND THE DEVELOPER SO MY SOLICITOR AGAIN WANTS ANOTHER 1000EUROS JUST LIKE THAT AS HE SAYS TO HELP ME RIP OFF
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaguar58
SORRY I HAVE TO DISAGREE AS THEY MADE MY LIFE AND CERTAINLEY MY WIFES LIFE HARD TRYING TO GET ALL THE CORRECT PAPERWORK AND NOW I HAVE JUST FOUND OUT I CANNOT SELL MY HOUSE BECAUSE OF A CORRUPT DEVELOPERS SO AGAIN HERE I GO WITH MY HARD EARNED MONEY SUPPOSED TO GIVE IT TO A CYPRIOT FOR NO FAULT OF MINE ONLY THE BANK AND THE DEVELOPER SO MY SOLICITOR AGAIN WANTS ANOTHER 1000EUROS JUST LIKE THAT AS HE SAYS TO HELP ME RIP OFF
There are a small handful of corrupt developers but the majority of them are OK. We spent 2 years when we first came here researching to find out which developers could not be trusted before we started our business so that we did not put any of our clients into problems.
People seem to forget that Cyprus is not the only place that has corrupt developers, even the UK has its fair share of them.
As for your solicitor, do you really expect them to do work for you for nothing? No solicitor in the UK would work for nothing so why should they here?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
There are a small handful of corrupt developers but the majority of them are OK. We spent 2 years when we first came here researching to find out which developers could not be trusted before we started our business so that we did not put any of our clients into problems.
People seem to forget that Cyprus is not the only place that has corrupt developers, even the UK has its fair share of them.
As for your solicitor, do you really expect them to do work for you for nothing? No solicitor in the UK would work for nothing so why should they here?
YES THEREVARE CORRUPT DEVELOPERS EVERYWHERE BUT THE WHOLE SYSTEM OF TITLE DEEDS ETC IS CORRUPT AND THEY KNOW IT AND SO DO THE BANKS, I DID NOT SAY MY SOLICITOR HAD TO WORK FOR NOTHING I WAS IN A 3YEAR CONTRACT THAT IF THEREARE ANY LEGAL PROBLEMS OR WILLS AND DEEDS ETC THIS WOULD COVER ALL NOW HE SAYS THIS IS A DIFFERENT MATTER GET WHERE I AM COMING FROM
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

susiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nice

Although Cyprus has changed alot since joining the EU - the atomsophere and friendliness keeps visitors coming back year after year ..
true it isnt as cheap as it used to be - but rental property are good value - utilities are not very expensive - the locals are friendly and mostly speak english - you`d have a fab time for a few months - shop in the local supermarkets for local produce - if you eat in the tourist area main resturants every night you`ll spend a fortune. Having a job already prepared is a great advantage - many brits move to Cyprus and hope to either set up a business or find work and are more dissappointed than satisfied - local salaries arent what they are in the UK.
Its also relatively safe - well, i always feel safe there - the water is safe to drink, they drive on the same side of the road, signs are in english and alot of the laws etc originate from when it was a UK colony - but with sunshine!
if i were you, id give it a go - get a nice apartment close enough to everything and find the local haunts of the expats and smile at the locals, they`ll soon befriend you!