British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/)
-   -   Any advice ?.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/any-advice-644282/)

nicki1979 Dec 10th 2009 8:20 pm

Any advice ?..

Hello ,
I am Nicki i am new to this site , it looks like a good site to receive advice from. My self and partner have two children aged 11 and 8 years old , we want to re locate to cyprus. I want to know which area is better to do this and for work , Also education for my children is most important and the cost . I know a little as i have a english friend that now lives in pathos. Rented accomadation is what i need advice on at this stage. I have read a few posts on here from people with similar requests. Any advice will be much appreciated .

Regards

Nicki :)

Honest_H Dec 16th 2009 9:56 am

Re: Any advice ?..

Originally Posted by nicki1979 (Post 8163224)
Hello ,
I am Nicki i am new to this site , it looks like a good site to receive advice from. My self and partner have two children aged 11 and 8 years old , we want to re locate to cyprus. I want to know which area is better to do this and for work , Also education for my children is most important and the cost . I know a little as i have a english friend that now lives in pathos. Rented accomadation is what i need advice on at this stage. I have read a few posts on here from people with similar requests. Any advice will be much appreciated .

Regards

Hi Nicki,

Welcome!

There are loads of rentals at the moment. Take your time though, look at lots and negiotation should be used. For example, a friend of mine is paying 650 euros for a 2 bed flat in Larnaca, I'm paying 550 euros for a 3 bed house with pool, on the outskirts of Larnaca. Our landlord started out at 650, but we bargained hard and got what we wanted. The thing is, there is so much to choose from, so your in the best position!

In your other post you mention schools. Well, the major towns/cities have English schools, so plenty to choose from. It will cost between 3k and 5k per year per child. depending on the school and their ages.

Work - again, Limassol, Larnaca and Nicosia are the obvious choices. Paphos and Napa tend to be more seasonal. It really depends on what you want to do.

Any more questions, let me know.

nicki1979 Dec 17th 2009 10:48 am

Hello Honest H ,
Thank you for your advice on my post. Can i ask how does it work with the state schooling in cyprus ? Is this free ? .I am looking at the area of Peyia as my friend lives there now and i know it is very close to coral bay.

I have several qualifications regarding work i am qualified chef and have managament and counselling under my belt too.I am aso a singer and entertainer. I have worked in residencial units for the past few years with young people , this being social care work. Is there any type of work available for this?.

I have read it is very hard to find any work and the wages are low and hard to make ends meat with a family , is this correct ?.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Nicki

Honest_H Dec 17th 2009 10:56 am

Originally Posted by nicki1979 (Post 8179665)
Hello Honest H ,
Thank you for your advice on my post. Can i ask how does it work with the state schooling in cyprus ? Is this free ? .I am looking at the area of Peyia as my friend lives there now and i know it is very close to coral bay.

I have several qualifications regarding work i am qualified chef and have managament and counselling under my belt too.I am aso a singer and entertainer. I have worked in residencial units for the past few years with young people , this being social care work. Is there any type of work available for this?.

I have read it is very hard to find any work and the wages are low and hard to make ends meat with a family , is this correct ?.

Kind Regards

Nicki

Hi Nicki,

Yes state schooling is free, however, they my put your kids in lower classes so that they can catch up on the language. They will be taught in Greek, no English. Some schools are very helpful, others not so. If you go down this route, try and choose a school that has other English kids in.

Work - you could really do anything then. There isn't much in the lines of social care, but your other experience will be helpful, especially in the entertainment industry down in Paphos.

nicki1979 Dec 17th 2009 11:10 am

Hi there quick reply thank you .

How do i get the children into a state school? . I am thinking of coming over in april.

I have a friend that also wants to move there and has been a painter and decorator for a long time.They can do plumbing and also recovery work for breakdown of cars etc. Is there any work for this with out qualifictions on paper?

johnh009 Dec 25th 2009 2:38 am

Originally Posted by nicki1979 (Post 8163224)
Hello ,

Regards

I have always liked Cyprus and wanted to live there. Some seem concerned about the water shortages. Is this an issue?

Nic1 Dec 27th 2009 11:30 am

Hi, you need to look very carefully at costs of living out here, and need to ensure you have a decent sum of money to bring with you to cover the initial 6-12 months. Wages here are very low and cost of living is comparatively expensive. Do some serious checking and then decide what you want to do - it would be worth trying to get some work sorted out before you come over.

N

Veronica-K Feb 1st 2010 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by nicki1979 (Post 8179665)
Hello Honest H ,

Kind Regards

Nicki

Nicki I would not recommend a family with young children to move over to Cyprus at this time unless you have a very well paid job lined up.
Many many young families are leaving the island beause they cannot make ends meet on the sort of wages that are paid here, that is assuming you even find a job.
If you get into financial difficulty you will not get state help unless you have paid into the social fund for some time and even then the help you get is minimal compared to the help that families with children get in the Uk.
This country is a great place to live if you are retired or are a couple with no dependants and earning reasonable money. It is not the place for families with young children. Do not put your childrens future in jeopardy.

Regards
Veronica

liliand Feb 2nd 2010 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Honest_H (Post 8176874)
Hi Nicki,

Welcome!

There are loads of rentals at the moment. Take your time though, look at lots and negiotation should be used. For example, a friend of mine is paying 650 euros for a 2 bed flat in Larnaca, I'm paying 550 euros for a 3 bed house with pool, on the outskirts of Larnaca. Our landlord started out at 650, but we bargained hard and got what we wanted. The thing is, there is so much to choose from, so your in the best position!

In your other post you mention schools. Well, the major towns/cities have English schools, so plenty to choose from. It will cost between 3k and 5k per year per child. depending on the school and their ages.

Work - again, Limassol, Larnaca and Nicosia are the obvious choices. Paphos and Napa tend to be more seasonal. It really depends on what you want to do.

Any more questions, let me know.

Hi, please may I ask for what length of time, and what time of year was your negotiated house+pool let?
Thanks. Lilian