Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Advice on taking car through Turkey To South Cyprus

Advice on taking car through Turkey To South Cyprus

Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

terrycon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on taking car through Turkey To South Cyprus

Can anyone advise if it is acceptable to drive to Cyprus via Turkey and the North,cant seem to find a ferry service from Italy or Greece to Cyprus and have heard it may be detremental to enter from Turkey as an unrecognized port and if they stamp your passport may refuse entry.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

yummymummy150 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on taking car through Turkey To South Cyprus

Originally Posted by terrycon
Can anyone advise if it is acceptable to drive to Cyprus via Turkey and the North,cant seem to find a ferry service from Italy or Greece to Cyprus and have heard it may be detremental to enter from Turkey as an unrecognized port and if they stamp your passport may refuse entry.
Hi Terrycon, There is feries available from Turkey and Italy and Greece.
Grimaldi do a run from Salerno on a ferry with a few passenger berths. Try Grimaldi, Salamis, louis and the name of the Turkish company escapes me.

You can enter via thr Turkins side, HOWEVER ou must make sure that every bit of documentation is bang smack up to date and in order, with copies hidden away for your own use. We had customers who drvove from UK to Mersin, ferried over got to Nicosia, but because there was a spelling error on his UK Logbook they would not let the vehicle throught the customs post, and charged the equivalent of £40UK per day storage until he could get the documentation corrected from the UK and car released. It took many days for pals in the Uk and original seller of the car to get the DVLA to correct the mistake and send a fax to explain to the authorities. So be warned. There are various stories as to whether the vehicle can be registered subsequently in the South after coming from the North, so I would suggest emailing the Customs first to confirm all documentation and details required, then double check just before your departure (as goalposts can move).

If you want a copy of the customs spreadsheet for working out import taxes, please send me your email addy and I will send it.

Cheers
Grumpy
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Advice on taking car through Turkey To South Cyprus

Thanks very much this information was most helpfull nobody seemed to have a clue I was advised to avoid Turkey and The Occupied Cyprus at all cost so this gives me the information I required to complete my journey.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:00 am
Just Joined

olltwit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by terrycon
Thanks very much this information was most helpfull nobody seemed to have a clue I was advised to avoid Turkey and The Occupied Cyprus at all cost so this gives me the information I required to complete my journey.
Did you do the trip yet terrycon? If not when are you planning to as I hope to be going for it in the next couple of weeks. It seems you can take a car ferry across from Tasucu to Girne (Kirenia).
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Hi

Yes I done it a couple of weeks ago but I drove to the south. Is it the south you are going to? If so drive to Ancona Italy where a ferry will take you to Patras in Greece, then drive round to pireas where you can put your car on a container ship (Salamis Lines) which will then take your car to Limassol. This takes about 2 days to get there in which you can get a flight to limassol from Athens.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Well done. Can I ask how much the ferry and container ship trip was?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks it wasnt easy but it was worth it as taking the car through Turkey is not an option if you are going to the south. Never got any help from anyone just had to take each stage as it came. The ferry from Ancona was 260 euros and that was for a jeep, four people and a cabin as the journey was 24 hours. On reaching Greece we found the people very unhelpful and had to drive around Athens until we located the Salamis shipping office as they dont speak to English people on the phone. To ship the car from Athens to Limassol was 500 euros but be careful as there are people who sit in the port office who charge you 100 euro to complete the docs for you as the people who work there are most unhelpful. The only way to do this is with sheer determanation and off your own back. If you require any further info contact me and I will only be only to willing to help.

Cheers
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

We were rather hoping to see some of Turkey and there's a regular ferry from there to Kyrinia. Was there some particular information you had which said it's not possible? Only all my calls to the British Embassies in Ankora and Nicosia have said it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me cross the Blue Line. I have rented a place in Paphos but my regular home address in the UK will be on all my documents. I shall be saying I'm doing a tour of Europe rather than registering the car straight away as I may go back to Bucharest in Romania anyway, where I lived for the last 3 years and I've driven between there and the UK and well into Bulgaria on many occasions.