Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Advice on moving from UK to Cyprus

Advice on moving from UK to Cyprus

Old May 8th 2008, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Zoe Price is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on moving from UK to Cyprus

Although we are already living in Cyprus, we are on an army posting with the UN in Nicosia. I hated living here for the first few months but have now had a total 180 degree change of mind and we are now seriously thinking of moving to Cyprus forever. However, we would like to gain other's points of view on this idea as once we have made the move, that will be us. We have two young boys (1 in July and 2 in July) and cannot at the moment think of any reason to move back to the UK other than schooling for them. Please can you let me know any thoughts on schools in Cyprus (ONLY English schools - private) and also thoughts and experiences on this water shortage currently in place. We do not suffer from any such problems where we live in the buffer zone with the UN but would be very concerned about water shortages in other areas. We would also need to know there were plenty of others of our age (early to mid 30's with small children as we don't want to cut ourselves off from friends etc). We like the weather, the safe feeling, the laid back attitude of the government, how some things are cheaper than the UK. Money will not be a problem for us as I run a successful business via the UK which will provide enough money for us to live on and my Husband has his army pension and will find some kind of work, but we need all perspectives and thoughts before we make any decisions to move for good. We have another 12-24 months to go yet, so want to start getting advice and opinions now. Any comments, suggestions and advice would be most gratefully received.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice on moving from UK to Cyprus

Hey Zoe,

Hows living in Nicosia? I live near the Dhekhlia base, its great being so close the the beaches. My kids love it. Would you consider moving closer to the sea?

I can highly recommend the American Academy in Larnaca. My oldest daughter (6yrs) loves it. My youngest (2yrs) isn't at nursery yet. I have looked at nurseries, but there aren't any English ones in Larnaca. Well, they say they are English, but they aren't.

When we first moved here, I considered putting my oldest into the nursery on the base. We were invited to take a look around, and I though it was good. They charge per day for your child to go there, and the unentitled price 3 years ago was £8.36. I'm sure you'll be able to get a lot more info on this given your current position!

The water shortage is a concern, but we have four adults and two kids in our house and we haven't ran out of water yet. Just be sensible and it will last. Not sure how long the shortages will go on for. We could have a really wet winter and things would be sorted, but this is Cyprus and you never know whats going to happen.

Meeting other people - this is easy if your kids are at school. The Academy are very much into the parents participating as much as possible in the school, lots of social events organised by the wonderful PTA (sorry, biased opinon - husband is the president!!). Tonight there is a BBQ and talent show. It was great last year, and this year it seems that it will be even better.

One thing I will say. Don't buy a house here until your absolutley sure that your going to stay. Its the biggest mistake that people make. Rent first.

Living in Cyprus is great at times. At other times its just plain awful. We've tried really hard to make things easier but we hit a brick wall of racism, discrimination and paper work everytime. We have made the decision to go back to Northern Ireland next June. We have found that for retirees (like my parents)its a great lifestyle here, for working families - its hard. Remember though, that this is only my opinions, you've got to form your own.

I would say though, that if we'd have come from living in England, we'd still live in Cyprus (my husband is from England and has vowed never to return), but Northern Ireland is a bit different. I know that sounds absurd given the history, but we love it and are looking forward to getting back.

If you have any other questions, just ask. It take a long time to make a decision like this and the more information you have the better.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Interesting to hear your comments on Cyprus, my daughter and partner come to goa with their three children,boy8,girl7,boy 4, have been out here and the standard of education is great, anything better than the UK at present, sadly due to the visa and property problems are going to move elsewhere, and Cyprus was their first choice,
Hows the work situation out there!! my son in law has all his certificates for building and machinery my daughter has 10 years experience in social services, but would like to become a midwife, is there ageism over there im 52 and have had 25years experience in social care/working with kids with behavioural special needs much work in that field.
renting houses/flatsis it easy and the cost?
sorry all these questions.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by poppetjay
Interesting to hear your comments on Cyprus, my daughter and partner come to goa with their three children,boy8,girl7,boy 4, have been out here and the standard of education is great, anything better than the UK at present, sadly due to the visa and property problems are going to move elsewhere, and Cyprus was their first choice,
Hows the work situation out there!! my son in law has all his certificates for building and machinery my daughter has 10 years experience in social services, but would like to become a midwife, is there ageism over there im 52 and have had 25years experience in social care/working with kids with behavioural special needs much work in that field.
renting houses/flatsis it easy and the cost?
sorry all these questions.

The standard of education is good here, in the private schools. Depends what you want really, if your here forever, then state school is probably the best as you'll learn the language a lot quicker.

I really can't comment on jobs in the fields that you mention. I have no idea about working with special needs. Although, the church that my parents go to raise funds for one of the special needs schools as they aren't funded by the state! Can you believe that! Disgrace. It seems that they hide them away. Anyway....

Renting houses and flat is very easy, they are two a penny, in all areas. The more touristy it is the more you'll pay though. There are loads of sites on the net that you could look at.

No problem with the questions - ask away, its the only way to find out
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

melydave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Hey Zoe,

Hows living in Nicosia? I live near the Dhekhlia base, its great being so close the the beaches. My kids love it. Would you consider moving closer to the sea?

I can highly recommend the American Academy in Larnaca. My oldest daughter (6yrs) loves it. My youngest (2yrs) isn't at nursery yet. I have looked at nurseries, but there aren't any English ones in Larnaca. Well, they say they are English, but they aren't.

When we first moved here, I considered putting my oldest into the nursery on the base. We were invited to take a look around, and I though it was good. They charge per day for your child to go there, and the unentitled price 3 years ago was £8.36. I'm sure you'll be able to get a lot more info on this given your current position!

The water shortage is a concern, but we have four adults and two kids in our house and we haven't ran out of water yet. Just be sensible and it will last. Not sure how long the shortages will go on for. We could have a really wet winter and things would be sorted, but this is Cyprus and you never know whats going to happen.

Meeting other people - this is easy if your kids are at school. The Academy are very much into the parents participating as much as possible in the school, lots of social events organised by the wonderful PTA (sorry, biased opinon - husband is the president!!). Tonight there is a BBQ and talent show. It was great last year, and this year it seems that it will be even better.

One thing I will say. Don't buy a house here until your absolutley sure that your going to stay. Its the biggest mistake that people make. Rent first.

Living in Cyprus is great at times. At other times its just plain awful. We've tried really hard to make things easier but we hit a brick wall of racism, discrimination and paper work everytime. We have made the decision to go back to Northern Ireland next June. We have found that for retirees (like my parents)its a great lifestyle here, for working families - its hard. Remember though, that this is only my opinions, you've got to form your own.

I would say though, that if we'd have come from living in England, we'd still live in Cyprus (my husband is from England and has vowed never to return), but Northern Ireland is a bit different. I know that sounds absurd given the history, but we love it and are looking forward to getting back.

If you have any other questions, just ask. It take a long time to make a decision like this and the more information you have the better.
Hello,
You sound very knowledgable about Cyprus and its ups and downs. Can you help me with an average cost of utilities for perhaps a 2bed property for two retired people. Also how easy is it to get internet access and how do you do about it. The same applied to Satellite TV. Your help would be greatly appreciated as we are hoping to relocate in January 2009
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

alarholm is on a distinguished road

Hey there!

Have you considered sending your kids to the army school? I'm living in Germany near a huge military base and even though I'm non entitled, two of my kids go to the school there. We pay for the privilege, however the quality of schooling in the SCE schools is very high. My kids are doing really well.

Anyway, just a thought

Good luck!

Aly
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by melydave
Hello,
You sound very knowledgable about Cyprus and its ups and downs. Can you help me with an average cost of utilities for perhaps a 2bed property for two retired people. Also how easy is it to get internet access and how do you do about it. The same applied to Satellite TV. Your help would be greatly appreciated as we are hoping to relocate in January 2009
Hey,

I've given some idea's on another thread that your on, if I you have any other questions, just ask
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alarholm
Hey there!

Have you considered sending your kids to the army school? I'm living in Germany near a huge military base and even though I'm non entitled, two of my kids go to the school there. We pay for the privilege, however the quality of schooling in the SCE schools is very high. My kids are doing really well.

Anyway, just a thought

Good luck!

Aly
Its something to consider. We did. The nursery education is very good value, but when it comes to primary, they charge 3 times as much as the school my daughter now goes to.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Its something to consider. We did. The nursery education is very good value, but when it comes to primary, they charge 3 times as much as the school my daughter now goes to.
Yeah, it's not cheap We pay about 3.5k€ a term per child...

Aly
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, it's not cheap We pay about 3.5k€ a term per child...

Aly
Yip, that's what I mean, we pay €3500 for the entire year.

Apparently, its because they can't be seen as competition for other private schools.

The ciriculum is based on UK schools, and my daughter has excelled since she started.

The other thing to think about is the friends they make, with troops changing every few years, their friends can change also. Have you had any trouble with this?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Yip, that's what I mean, we pay €3500 for the entire year.

Apparently, its because they can't be seen as competition for other private schools.

The ciriculum is based on UK schools, and my daughter has excelled since she started.

The other thing to think about is the friends they make, with troops changing every few years, their friends can change also. Have you had any trouble with this?
It can be hard. My two have been at the school since year 2 - they are now year 5. Postings tend to happen every 2 years. They do make friends which they later lose and it's sad. I know for me that my most valued friendships were made at this age, and it does break my heart that my two probably won't develop that level of friendships. Some of the parents here are posted long term, so I do push my kids in the direction of those children, but let's face it, there's only so much you can do.

Aly
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

It can be hard. My two have been at the school since year 2 - they are now year 5. Postings tend to happen every 2 years. They do make friends which they later lose and it's sad. I know for me that my most valued friendships were made at this age, and it does break my heart that my two probably won't develop that level of friendships. Some of the parents here are posted long term, so I do push my kids in the direction of those children, but let's face it, there's only so much you can do.

Aly
I can imagine Aly. Its a shame, but we all have to do our best for our kids.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Was listening to BFBS yesterday morning. Are you the Zoe Price that, according to Ginny, has a "bingo thing" going on??
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:18 am
Just Joined

NorthernCyprus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoe Price
Although we are already living in Cyprus, we are on an army posting with the UN in Nicosia. I hated living here for the first few months but have now had a total 180 degree change of mind and we are now seriously thinking of moving to Cyprus forever. However, we would like to gain other's points of view on this idea as once we have made the move, that will be us. We have two young boys (1 in July and 2 in July) and cannot at the moment think of any reason to move back to the UK other than schooling for them. Please can you let me know any thoughts on schools in Cyprus (ONLY English schools - private) and also thoughts and experiences on this water shortage currently in place. We do not suffer from any such problems where we live in the buffer zone with the UN but would be very concerned about water shortages in other areas. We would also need to know there were plenty of others of our age (early to mid 30's with small children as we don't want to cut ourselves off from friends etc). We like the weather, the safe feeling, the laid back attitude of the government, how some things are cheaper than the UK. Money will not be a problem for us as I run a successful business via the UK which will provide enough money for us to live on and my Husband has his army pension and will find some kind of work, but we need all perspectives and thoughts before we make any decisions to move for good. We have another 12-24 months to go yet, so want to start getting advice and opinions now. Any comments, suggestions and advice would be most gratefully received.
I suggest you visit Turk Maarif College's (TMK)web site
http://tmk.mebnet.net/ and headmaster's name is Fehmi Tokay you can send e mail to him. I was graduated from the TMK. It is one of the best schools in the Cyprus.
Wellcome to Cyprus.