A year out....thoughts?

Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:47 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default A year out....thoughts?

OH and I are talking about doing a year out of Canada with the kid to experience something different. Both of us have travelled a lot, and TBH, I think we're both feeling the itchy foot. Kid will be 6, 7 or 8 when we leave, so still quite young.

The choice is between NZ (where I'm from) or the UK/Ireland (where his large extended family is and my mum is from). Visas would be fine for the UK, not quite sure what would happen for NZ for him but I"m assuming it wouldn't be too hard.

This might not be the right forum for this, but I wondered what things we need to think about it. Like, schooling. Would kid be able to go to school for free in the UK or would we have to pay? Stuff like that. Thinking Scotland though if anyone has other suggestions, I'm all ears. Also if you had the choice, which would you choose?

TIA.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year out....thoughts?

free schooling in the UK for NZ you would need to sponser OH and kids they would have to be of good health etc etc not sure on processing times at the moment but he would need a visa before he could work in NZ and the kids to go to school
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:33 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Janey.

I'm not sure if OH would work in NZ, we may just rely on my wage. Kid would be NZ citizen so I'm assuming she would be okay for schooling.

With the UK, I"m not so clear on how it works for schooling. Working is fine since I have right of abode and OH has UK c-ship.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:30 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see - leave me!!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:42 am

Only for a year...we'd come back!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:44 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Only for a year...we'd come back!
oh oh - ok - maybe I will cope...
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Janey.

I'm not sure if OH would work in NZ, we may just rely on my wage. Kid would be NZ citizen so I'm assuming she would be okay for schooling.

With the UK, I"m not so clear on how it works for schooling. Working is fine since I have right of abode and OH has UK c-ship.
Presumably (based on other threads) you're all going to have your Canadian citizenship before you leave Canada, that way you can come back.

United Kingdom
Was your OH born in Britain? If so, your child should be British by descent, won't need a visa, just a British passport.

As for you, your Right of Abode status gives you full rights in Britain, but assuming you have this based on a British born mother and you were born before 1983, have you thought about registering as a British citizen?

Schooling, etc, up to university/college will normally be free provided that your child is a British citizen or admitted on a settlement visa. NHS is also available on the same basis.

New Zealand
Information on sponsoring your OH for immigration at http://www.immigration.govt.nz

Is your child a New Zealand citizen "by descent" or was child born in NZ? If child is NZ by descent, living in NZ can allow child to upgrade to full NZ citizenship. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

Republic of Ireland
Visa situation will be difficult unless everyone in the family has a British passport (in which case, no visas needed).

Australia or USA
Are these options, although the immigration situation is more challenging, especially USA.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Presumably (based on other threads) you're all going to have your Canadian citizenship before you leave Canada, that way you can come back.
No, I don't yet. I am going to apply for it this year...I need to anyway cos my PR card expires next year and if I have to apply for a new one, I may as well get c-ship. Plus I want to.

Originally Posted by JAJ
United Kingdom
Was your OH born in Britain? If so, your child should be British by descent, won't need a visa, just a British passport.

As for you, your Right of Abode status gives you full rights in Britain, but assuming you have this based on a British born mother and you were born before 1983, have you thought about registering as a British citizen?

Schooling, etc, up to university/college will normally be free provided that your child is a British citizen or admitted on a settlement visa. NHS is also available on the same basis.
Thankyou for this, that really clarifies things. OH is a British citizen by descent, so cannot pass it onto child. She's (child) really the one I'm not sure about re: UK. However, OH's mother was born in Ireland, so it seems he automatically got irish c'ship from her and child is eligible for Irish foreign birth register and Irish c-ship, I guess? She was born before 2005.

I have thought about registering as a British citizen, but when I looked into it it seemed v. expensive, whereas I believe my ROA is free if I send in my old passport with the stamp in.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is your child a New Zealand citizen "by descent" or was child born in NZ? If child is NZ by descent, living in NZ can allow child to upgrade to full NZ citizenship. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent
Child is citizen by descent. Will check out that link, thanks.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Republic of Ireland
Visa situation will be difficult unless everyone in the family has a British passport (in which case, no visas needed).

Australia or USA
Are these options, although the immigration situation is more challenging, especially USA.
Good to know about Ireland.

Lived in Oz before for 4 years, didn't like it Too many immigration hassles for USA and not enough desire to go there, TBH.

Thanks again JAJ
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't yet. I am going to apply for it this year...I need to anyway cos my PR card expires next year and if I have to apply for a new one, I may as well get c-ship. Plus I want to.
I think you said your OH is Canadian, and was your child born in Canada or NZ?

Thankyou for this, that really clarifies things. OH is a British citizen by descent, so cannot pass it onto child. She's (child) really the one I'm not sure about re: UK. However, OH's mother was born in Ireland, so it seems he automatically got irish c'ship from her and child is eligible for Irish foreign birth register and Irish c-ship, I guess? She was born before 2005.
Yes. Your daughter is eligible for Irish citizenship and you should apply for registration immediately. You never know if/when the Irish laws could be changed ... before 2005, it was possible to become a citizen by marriage, that's now closed to new applicants.

In order for her to live in the UK, she needs either a settlement visa or an Irish passport. If she lives in the UK for 3 years before age 18 she can register as a British citizen that way.

Or perhaps she is eligible for British citizenship now ... has your OH ever spent a continuous 3 year period in the United Kingdom?

I have thought about registering as a British citizen, but when I looked into it it seemed v. expensive, whereas I believe my ROA is free if I send in my old passport with the stamp in.
In 2006, it became a lot more difficult to get an ROA stamp (ROA is unchanged, it's just that the evidence of it is more difficult to obtain). You now have to apply from scratch every time, no more simple renewals.

Good to know about Ireland.
Your ROA isn't accepted in Ireland, but a British passport would be.

Lived in Oz before for 4 years, didn't like it Too many immigration hassles for USA and not enough desire to go there, TBH.
Out of interest, when did you spend your 4 years in Australia?

As for the USA, if you're NZ born you could try for the green card lottery.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think you said your OH is Canadian, and was your child born in Canada or NZ?
Canada

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes. Your daughter is eligible for Irish citizenship and you should apply for registration immediately. You never know if/when the Irish laws could be changed ... before 2005, it was possible to become a citizen by marriage, that's now closed to new applicants.

In order for her to live in the UK, she needs either a settlement visa or an Irish passport. If she lives in the UK for 3 years before age 18 she can register as a British citizen that way.

Or perhaps she is eligible for British citizenship now ... has your OH ever spent a continuous 3 year period in the United Kingdom?
We agree re: registration. No, OH has not spent a continuous 3 year period in the UK.

Originally Posted by JAJ
In 2006, it became a lot more difficult to get an ROA stamp (ROA is unchanged, it's just that the evidence of it is more difficult to obtain). You now have to apply from scratch every time, no more simple renewals.
Bugger. Did not know that.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest, when did you spend your 4 years in Australia?

As for the USA, if you're NZ born you could try for the green card lottery.
yeah, I always forget about the green card.

1998-2001
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:54 am
JAJ
Retired

yeah, I always forget about the green card.
Don't forget that your husband, although Canadian born, can also apply and claim chargeability to NZ. If you'd be interested in moving to the USA if you were to win.

1998-2001
In case you're not aware, you should be eligible for a "certificate of status" as a New Zealand citizen in Australia, as long as you were either:

- physically in Australia on 26 February 2001 (with a Special Category Visa - SCV); or
- spent a total of 365 days in Australia with an SCV between 26 Feb 1999 and 26 Feb 2001.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1162.pdf

Even if you have no immediate plans to return to Australia, it wouldn't hurt to obtain this as it would then guarantee you effective permanent resident status, assuming laws did not change again. Unless by some chance you became an Australian citizen during your time there.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:57 am

No, I didn't. I had no idea about that, I will look into it. Ta.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:00 am

mmkay, how do I prove I was there for 2 years? That's going to be tricky. Would tax returns work?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:31 am
JAJ
Retired

mmkay, how do I prove I was there for 2 years? That's going to be tricky. Would tax returns work?
If you were there on 26 February 2001 that's enough - you don't need to worry about the 1 year in 2.

Do you still have your NZ passport from then? The (Australian Immigration) passport stamps should be enough.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the first to admit I'm a bit biased, but I'd choose England anyday. That's only cos I'm from there though.