British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Wrong Visa Type (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/wrong-visa-type-904092/)

aidy Oct 3rd 2017 11:53 am

Wrong Visa Type

I emailed the IHS line to see about paying as the amount never came up on my wifes application.

They replied to say it didnt come up as they were treating it as a fiancee visa and not a spouse visa and asked if this was wrong.

Quite clearly this is wrong, and the documents back this up, is it going to be much of a hassle for them to change this now?

Anyone else heard of this before.

It looks like we clicked marriage on the application, so maybe us that did it wrong

BritInParis Oct 3rd 2017 2:24 pm

Re: Wrong Visa Type

Marriage Visitor and Fiancé/Fiancée are not the same. Which did you apply for?

aidy Oct 3rd 2017 2:25 pm

We applied for "marriage", however it appears they are using it as a fiancee visa, I am pending their reply about it being the wrong type.

Im assuming it should of been settlement

BritInParis Oct 3rd 2017 2:51 pm

Sounds you applied for a Marriage Visitor visa. How much was your fee and where did you apply from?

aidy Oct 3rd 2017 3:07 pm

applied from toronto paid $1904, so a lot more than the required £87

aidy Oct 3rd 2017 5:30 pm

I checked on the Visa4UK page at the type states "Settlement - Marriage"

BritInParis Oct 3rd 2017 6:51 pm

Sorry, my bad, the penny has dropped. You won't pay the IHS at this stage as the fiancé/fiancée visa is only valid for six months. You will need to pay it when you apply for FLR after you wed.

aidy Oct 3rd 2017 6:57 pm

this is it, we are married, they even asked for and took a copy of our marriage certificate at the visa centre

Inselaffen Oct 3rd 2017 7:50 pm

Yes looks like you applied for Marriage visa (6 months to allow you to get married in the UK) rather than a spouse settlement visa.

BritInParis Oct 3rd 2017 9:05 pm

If your wife is the applicant and you wanted a spouse visa then you should have applied for 'Settlement->Settlement->Wife'.

aidy Oct 3rd 2017 9:10 pm

well i understand this, however the website was far too vague.

I know this was the problem, however I was looking to see how it can be changed.

Also i find it strange that the visa centre was specifically asking for copies of the marriage certificate

BritInParis Oct 3rd 2017 9:15 pm

When did you submit your documents?

aidy Oct 6th 2017 7:18 pm

so it was done on august the 10th.

However we maybe lucky as we had an email today advising that the IHS fee has not been paid and to pay it by the 13th Oct.

So maybe someone has changed the visa type!

aidy Oct 11th 2017 12:33 pm

so just to update everyone on this,

I got in touch with UK V&I, and they changed the visa type for us, and have now issued the spouse visa, so worked out great! :)

michali Oct 11th 2017 3:40 pm

That is great! Sometimes they can be so nice!

gaja00 Oct 24th 2017 9:23 am

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 12358555)

I got in touch with UK V&I, and they changed the visa type for us, and have now issued the spouse visa, so worked out great! :)

Hi. I made the same mistake.

I’ve just sent a letter informing them of the error but would be good if I can reach them ASAP. What was the contact detail you used to get in touch with U.K. V&I to change the visa type? I tried calling their standard number online and they were not very helpful, quoting scripted mumbo-jumbo.

Unless the reason why you were told that they changed the visa type was because it had already been done when you received the email for the IHS payment?

j4v3d Oct 24th 2017 9:38 am

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 12358555)

I would make sure i have details of the communication written down somewhere just in case you need to refer back to it.

aidy Oct 24th 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by gaja00 (Post 12367334)
Hi. I made the same mistake.

I’ve just sent a letter informing them of the error but would be good if I can reach them ASAP. What was the contact detail you used to get in touch with U.K. V&I to change the visa type? I tried calling their standard number online and they were not very helpful, quoting scripted mumbo-jumbo.

Unless the reason why you were told that they changed the visa type was because it had already been done when you received the email for the IHS payment?

it was changed in the office, then we had the IHS charge come through, and the visa came through very quickly after that

aidy Oct 24th 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by j4v3d (Post 12367343)
I would make sure i have details of the communication written down somewhere just in case you need to refer back to it.

I agree, however she got the visa and it states spouse on it, now she is in the UK, and a good end until July 2020

j4v3d Oct 24th 2017 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 12367524)
I agree, however she got the visa and it states spouse on it, now she is in the UK, and a good end until July 2020

Brilliant :)

gaja00 Oct 24th 2017 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 12367520)
it was changed in the office, then we had the IHS charge come through, and the visa came through very quickly after that

That's great. Really happy for you. Hope in my case, common sense also prevails and they change the settlement type and send the IHS charge through your our application as well.

gaja00 Oct 26th 2017 7:20 am

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 12367524)

Quick question. Was your application priority or non-priority?

aidy Oct 29th 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by gaja00 (Post 12368774)
Quick question. Was your application priority or non-priority?

non priority

gaja00 Oct 29th 2017 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 12370597)
non priority

That was a pretty quick turnaround considering how application processing has been significantly delayed for a lot of people.

aidy Oct 30th 2017 11:04 am

Originally Posted by gaja00 (Post 12370633)
That was a pretty quick turnaround considering how application processing has been significantly delayed for a lot of people.

i found the right contact and was given the direct contact details of the ECO instead of the standard mailbox.

gaja00 Oct 31st 2017 7:49 am

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 12370926)
i found the right contact and was given the direct contact details of the ECO instead of the standard mailbox.

Surprised you were able to get the details of the ECO. Was he/she reviewing the application from Sheffield?

aidy Nov 1st 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by gaja00 (Post 12371569)
Surprised you were able to get the details of the ECO. Was he/she reviewing the application from Sheffield?

it was Sheffield, i was lucky to have good contacts from my past industry (travel)

gaja00 Nov 1st 2017 11:18 am

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 12372488)
it was Sheffield, i was lucky to have good contacts from my past industry (travel)

Ok does that mean you contacted the ECO directly to change the category type from marriage to spouse or was that already done before you contacted the ECO?

My nervousness is that my wife gets rejected due to an error in her application that can easily be corrected but the ECO processing her application is unable to use common sense to resolve the error.

j4v3d Nov 1st 2017 11:31 am

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 12370926)

Not bad, seems like you have the contacts :lol:

gaja00 Nov 22nd 2017 10:20 pm

Just thought to update on my situation just in case someone else comes across this thread looking for answers to the same problem. My wife today got an email from the Sheffield office with the IHS link asking her to make the IHS payment. We’ve made the payment now so fingers crossed we get a decision soon.

aidy Nov 23rd 2017 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by gaja00 (Post 12387461)
Just thought to update on my situation just in case someone else comes across this thread looking for answers to the same problem. My wife today got an email from the Sheffield office with the IHS link asking her to make the IHS payment. We’ve made the payment now so fingers crossed we get a decision soon.

great news

Larry_blac Mar 27th 2018 7:32 pm

Everyone, please am also in this same situation.

I submitted my application on 15th February. I applied for marriage settlement instead of husband/wife settlement.

Based on what I have read so far, it can go either way and am so scared.

However, I also realised that some people send a letter to the decision office.

Please I would be grateful if I can get information on how to send this letter. Should I just post it go the Sheffield office or do I need to contact UKVI.

I anticipate a speedy response as I paid for priority service and might be hearing from them anytime from now.

BritInParis Mar 27th 2018 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Larry_blac (Post 12471350)
Everyone, please am also in this same situation.

I submitted my application on 15th February. I applied for marriage settlement instead of husband/wife settlement.

Based on what I have read so far, it can go either way and am so scared.

However, I also realised that some people send a letter to the decision office.

Please I would be grateful if I can get information on how to send this letter. Should I just post it go the Sheffield office or do I need to contact UKVI.

I anticipate a speedy response as I paid for priority service and might be hearing from them anytime from now.

How much did you pay?

Larry_blac Mar 27th 2018 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12471397)
How much did you pay?

Almost £1500 for the visa. Additional payment for value added service gross up to £600 - priority service.

BritInParis Mar 27th 2018 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Larry_blac (Post 12471405)
Almost £1500 for the visa. Additional payment for value added service gross up to £600 - priority service.

Did you select the Fiancé/Fiancée option then?

Larry_blac Mar 27th 2018 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12471430)
Did you select the Fiancé/Fiancée option then?

I selected settlement marriage - which from what I gathered is a 6 months visa for me to go to the UK and for us to marry and then apply for a FLR. But what I should have selected is husband settlement.

BritInParis Mar 27th 2018 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Larry_blac (Post 12471432)
I selected settlement marriage - which from what I gathered is a 6 months visa for me to go to the UK and for us to marry and then apply for a FLR. But what I should have selected is husband settlement.

You're in the same boat as the OP then. You've paid the correct fee. Hopefully someone will notice the error and correct it for you. I can't imagine it's a particularly rare event. If you get a request to pay the IHS then you know it's been fixed.

Larry_blac Mar 27th 2018 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12471438)
You're in the same boat as the OP then. You've paid the correct fee. Hopefully someone will notice the error and correct it for you. I can't imagine it's a particularly rare event. If you get a request to pay the IHS then you know it's been fixed.

Yes I agree with you that if I get the IHS then it's been fixed.

It's just that the OP stated that he contacted the ECO and someone else said that he sent a letter - it shows that they made effort to notify the ECO. Hence I was hoping to get a contact so I can do the same as well because the normal ukvi contact centre has been of little help.

BritInParis Mar 27th 2018 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Larry_blac (Post 12471440)
Yes I agree with you that if I get the IHS then it's been fixed.

It's just that the OP stated that he contacted the ECO and someone else said that he sent a letter - it shows that they made effort to notify the ECO. Hence I was hoping to get a contact so I can do the same as well because the normal ukvi contact centre has been of little help.

The OP contacted UKVI and they confirmed that the visa type had already been changed. You can contact UKVI but you'll need to pay for the privilege.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-insi...the-uk/english

Larry_blac Mar 27th 2018 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12471478)
The OP contacted UKVI and they confirmed that the visa type had already been changed. You can contact UKVI but you'll need to pay for the privilege.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-insi...the-uk/english

I contacted them by phone and what I was told is that I will just have to wait to see if it was processed as expected. That there's nothing they can do. They weren't so helpful