Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Wrong order of name on BRP - will I have any problem down the line?

Wrong order of name on BRP - will I have any problem down the line?

Old Jan 15th 2019, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

thaong88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Wrong order of name on BRP - will I have any problem down the line?

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all your supportive advice, I got my spouse visa and arrived in the country last month. I came to pick up my BRP one week after I arrived and didn't notice anything wrong until I came to the job center to get my National Insurance Number last week (the earliest I could get). The lady at the job center helped me realise that the order of my name on my BRP was incorrect. So it is:
First line (Last name I assume): Nguyen
Second line: Le Hong Thao

Vietnamese names are in very different order from Western names. Our last name goes first, then middle, then first name. On my passport, my name is printed in one line and there is no separate first name, last name, middle name. My first name is "Thao", middle name is "Le Hong" and last name is "Nguyen". That is the reason why I didn't see what was wrong with the BRP until the lady at the job center thought my first name is Le. It should have been
First line: Nguyen
Second line: Thao Le Hong

So I used the form on gov.uk to tell them about the error and I received an email back today that they will send me a replacement with my name all in one line. I am just wondering whether this will get me in trouble down the line, as in in 6 years when I apply for my citizenship?

I hope it's clear. It's a bit complicated. If anyone knows, that'd be very helpful. Thank you!
Old Jan 16th 2019, 1:51 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wrong order of name on BRP - will I have any problem down the line?

What format does your passport use?
Old Jan 16th 2019, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Originally Posted by thaong88
..... On my passport, my name is printed in one line and there is no separate first name, last name, middle name.....
Old Jan 16th 2019, 7:48 am
Just Joined

On my passport, my name is printed in one line with Last name - Middle name - First name. I contacted Home Office after going to the job center and I received a reply that they will send me a replacement with my name all in one line in the same format as my passport. However, I just wonder if it is going to be a problem in the future because even though for me, it's my real name, I know people here will think my name is Nguyen and not Thao if that makes sense.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Nora_ is an unknown quantity at this point

On my passport, my name is printed in one line with Last name - Middle name - First name. I contacted Home Office after going to the job center and I received a reply that they will send me a replacement with my name all in one line in the same format as my passport. However, I just wonder if it is going to be a problem in the future because even though for me, it's my real name, I know people here will think my name is Nguyen and not Thao if that makes sense.
If you are getting the replacement, what is the problem?
Old Jan 16th 2019, 1:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I should have been clearer - what format does your passport use on the MRZ at the bottom? Can you type out what it shows including the chevrons? For example:

P<VNMNGUYEN<<THAO<LE<HONG
Old Jan 16th 2019, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I should have been clearer - what format does your passport use on the MRZ at the bottom? Can you type out what it shows including the chevrons? For example:

P<VNMNGUYEN<<THAO<LE<HONG
Thank you BritInPasris for the clarification. It says P<VNMNGUYEN<<LE<HONG<THAO. I understand this is confusing but that's the order of Vietnamese name. When I used the form to report the wrong name, in the "Given name" box, I put, Thao Le Hong and Last name as Nguyen. They still said they would send me a replacement with my name in one line just as it appears on my passport. I am just getting ahead of myself here and worried that further down the line, i.e next visa application or even citizenship, this will be a problem because they can say it's the wrong name.

Also another question, I did some research and it is not possible for me to legally change my name to my husband's name in Vietnam. One of my friends who lives in Australia and just got her citizenship said she had her name changed on the Australian passport. But all her names in the Vietnamese paperworks remain the same. Is it the same for the UK? Thank you so much