Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Wow,, just been stung by the new Immigration Health Surcharge!!

Wow,, just been stung by the new Immigration Health Surcharge!!

Old Apr 8th 2015, 5:55 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all
Default Wow,, just been stung by the new Immigration Health Surcharge!!

OMG- I've had both my wife's and my step-daughter's Settlement Visa's online application complete - save actually submitting for Payment and confirming the Appointment (wanted to make sure my two weeks was enough to get all my documents). Didn't bother to read the 'smaller' print on the Visa home page about the Health Surcharge. If only I had actually submitted the damn Applications on Sunday I would have saved myself $2000!!!!! The only reason I didn't.. I was waiting for a package (with said documents in) to be delivered by USPS and didn't want to tempt fate they would turn up.

OMG... well that's the money for the new fridge, washing machine and microwave gone!!!!
Old Apr 8th 2015, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow,, just been stung by the new Immigration Health Surcharge!!

Yes..... its 200 GBP per person, per year for the length of the visa issued. Until such time as ILR is obtained.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 7:44 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all

yeah it was $953.

I just didn't see the advance notice of that on the application page - I saw the notice about China, though.

I'm kicking myself - only because I was awaiting 'official' statements from the UK bank, which everyone has now said just print them off, they don't seem to care any more!
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
yeah it was $953.

I just didn't see the advance notice of that on the application page - I saw the notice about China, though.

I'm kicking myself - only because I was awaiting 'official' statements from the UK bank, which everyone has now said just print them off, they don't seem to care any more!
Oh well....... think of the savings you will make on medical insurance premiums, deductibles and co-pays over the years !
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:05 pm
Goooner!

lol.. But if I had applied on Sunday think of the Private Healthcare premiums that $2k would have paid for to add my family on my employer's scheme...

I'm not mad about the principle of the scheme. I think it is much needed. I'm just mad at myself and the US Postal Service.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 10:43 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
lol.. But if I had applied on Sunday think of the Private Healthcare premiums that $2k would have paid for to add my family on my employer's scheme...
I'm confused as to what cost $2K?

I thought it was $953, as you mention above, that you paid for 2 people (200 Bp each) for the NHS health surcharge....
Old Apr 8th 2015, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I presume he means 983 dollars each - spouse and step daughter.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 11:24 pm
Goooner!

yes 2 x the $953

I did them both on one form seeing as it asked my wife if she had any dependents - as opposed to my filling out a separate application for my step-daughter.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all

I thought it was going to cost a total of 500 GBP for each person that is given a 30 month visa.

I just did the online how much will it cost and it came up with 600 GBP for a spouse entry visa or FLR(m)
Old Apr 9th 2015, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dundee15
I thought it was going to cost a total of 500 GBP for each person that is given a 30 month visa.

I just did the online how much will it cost and it came up with 600 GBP for a spouse entry visa or FLR(m)
...... because the visa is for more than 2.5 years? i.e 33 month visa allowing for the additional 3 months to allow for travel.

See below:

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigr...n/how-much-pay

If part of the year is over 6 months they charge for whole year. ......
Old Apr 9th 2015, 1:44 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
...... because the visa is for more than 2.5 years? i.e 33 month visa allowing for the additional 3 months to allow for travel.

See below:

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigr...n/how-much-pay

If part of the year is over 6 months they charge for whole year. ......
This explains it. They've charged for 3 years.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Pipmeister,

That is so frustrating! I have been looking at the visa website and you are right they did have the Advance notice about China but they didn't have any warning that the Health Surcharge was about to happen. Such a bummer that you were so close to submitting your applications
Old Apr 10th 2015, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

I understood incorrectly then. I thought the surcharge was for visitors only!!! OMG
Even my sister in law who is on ILR in London read the docs and understood we wouldn't have to pay.

Just about to submit the online application.
Wife will not be pleased at all. At times she almost gave up with all the obstacles we've had to overcome to be a family in the UK.

Confused now after reading this (the part in bold - my wife is applying to stay permanently in the UK so she shouldn't have to pay if I understand this correctly):

For visa applications made outside the UK, you’ll have to pay if:

you’re a national of a country outside the European Economic Area
you’re applying for a visa to work, study or join your family in the UK for more than 6 months (but you’re not applying to permanently remain in the UK)
sons of guns!! doesn't make sense as it asks you how long you plan to remain the UK on the application. We put PERMANENTLY. So a small contradiction no?

How much is my Immigration Health Surcharge?

Based on the information provided we have calculated that your total Immigration Health Surcharge is
£600.00

Last edited by alfista1; Apr 10th 2015 at 7:42 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

So I hope all the EU migrants will be paying this fee also and not just the non-eu migrants.

Old Apr 11th 2015, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
So I hope all the EU migrants will be paying this fee also and not just the non-eu migrants.

They have it worse as it seems they won't be offered the chance to have this £200 a year to cover all their healthcare and existing medical problems in the UK. Many have to buy full Compehensive Sickness Insurance to cover all their and all their dependants medical problems. The new law means they will have to actually use their insurance policies now as the NHS must now check and bill, or be fined for not doing so. If they don't have insurance then they will pay 150% of the NHS cost to the NHS trust that gave the treatment.

Now, unless the EU citizen is in work in the UK (and the NHS can now check because of the new Real Time system for HMRC that started in 2013, where every time you are paid your employer has to inform HMRC) then they pay. The same for all their dependants if the EEA citizen isn't in work.

They can use their own countries EHIC and make up any shortfall in payment themselves, but as this new 2014 law also makes it easier for the UK to reclaim all the millions other EEA countries owe the NHS, their own EU country might no want to pay if that person is residing in the UK. The UK won't pay for those using a UK EHIC in another country if that person resides in that country.

Plus they changed the rules for what a Qualified Person for Free Movement is in the UK in 2012 & 2013 and again on 6 April 2015 and because EU changes are retrospective, it is now affecting those who arrived in the UK before these dates. Just a few hours a week working or claiming to be Self Employed when you don't make much money, won't cut it anymore. Many now can't have anything from the UK as the new rules mean they have lost their right to reside in the UK. The Tories also plan to deport those who have lost the right to reside under the EUs Free Movement, to free up the strain on schools ect.

For your wife, whom you wisely decided to use the UK immigration route for, in work or out of work, that £200 Health Surcharge a year will cover all her health costs and give her immediate cover when she arrives on her UK spouse visa. You and your son, as Brits, get immediate free access to your NHS when you reside in the UK. Don't believe all you read about the EU route to the UK as the facts show that things have got a lot harder in the UK over the last 4 years and Germany are following the new UK rules.

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/exis...using-benefit/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...elfare-tourism

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/bene...-2014-changes/

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/remo...ea-jobseekers/

and some of the plans to make it even harder

http://www.frankfield.com/latest-new....aspx?p=102782

Last edited by formula; Apr 11th 2015 at 10:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.