Would Love to move back but...

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 1:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would Love to move back but...

Originally Posted by stepnek
And if you had taken up that offer? Would you be going back now?
Oops, sorry, didn't mean to ignore your question, I have only been popping in for a "drive-by" every now and then and missed your post.

The answer is a definitive "you bet". It would have been a simple way of returning (i.e., H-1B sorted by employer, position sitting waiting for me, etc.). In contrast, the option of returning now involves the whole find a job, interview, receive offer (or not), negotiate conditions, deal with visa application (not all universities pay for the necessary attorney fees), etc., etc., in other words such a logistical nightmare that I'm not putting any serious thought into it for a while.

At the time the suggestion of a sabbatical was made, another prof had been given 12 months unpaid leave to (supposedly) be with her mother in Texas (in truth, she was testing the waters with a mind to moveback their permanently). I was serving on the Dept personnel committee at the time and saw that it was a pretty straightforward process and that nobody really had any objections.

So why didn't I pursue the same possibility? Couple of things, really.

First, I didn't want to "inconvenience" the Department if I decided not to return. As it turned out, my replacement wasn't hired until 10 months after I left, and can't start until she completes her PhD in January, i.e., 18 mths after I left. So that turns out to have been a dumb reason.

Second, like many people on here, I was convinced the move home was permanent, yadda, yadda, and so it just didn't seem to make sense to postpone the inevitable. But you NEVER know what life has in store for you (in my case, insane house price rises, drastic plummeting of the dollar, many facets of unexpected culture shock, etc.). Anyone who has been surfing this Forum for a while knows of dozens of cases of people being sure that emigrating (or returning) was the right thing, and then 2 years (or 1 year, or even 6 months) down the line having that "Oh sh*t" moment. That's why when JAJ keeps reminding returnees to consider their options before jumping ship, get citizenship, etc., I for one think he is doing absolutely the rght thing, and not simply propogating a "Don't do it" philosophy about returning. I don't know why he gets so much grief for trying to help people keep their options open.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thewatkins5
Hi We are also from Camberley, Surrey and have been in Melbourne, Australia for 2 1/2 years. My children went to Prior Heath Infant School, Crawley Ridge Junior School and Collingwood. Either of you have children at these schools?

Thanks Sharon
Hi Sharon...my kids were in boarding school/university while we were in the UK, so we would not have crossed paths.

I hope you are enjoying Australia, I have quite a few freinds spread aroud the place.

Best regards, Kev....
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahappychappy
Hi Graphicsgal,

I too am mid 40's and originate from Hadleigh in Essex. Spent most of my youth there as well as South Benfleet. Lived in Ashdown Cres' and Meadow Rd. Went to Hadleigh Jnr and Deanes schools. I Have made visits back to the Uk on several occassions during the last 11 years that I have lived in AUS. While we enjoy our visits (feel like a tourist) I cannot envisage living there again on a permanent basis. The country does not have a great deal to offer us anymore and the day to day lifestyle for us would be alot harder than what we enjoy in AUS. As for UK house prices!!!!!!

Sorry this does not address your questions. Best of luck in your decision.
Yes but as usual it all depends on where you are from...my family lives in a lovely area of England....all have excellent jobs and lifestyle....there are parts of Sydney I would not put my pinky toe in and that goes for most cities and area's in most countries around the world...many people come to Aus and enjoy their time here while on holiday and many would not come to live here either for whatever reasons.....we all have our opionions but it is help that people require not such negative comments.....I have family that live in Candada and it's a lovely area they live in but it is not for me but I would not put a place down just because I did not like it.....people see things with different eyes...what suits one person will not always suit another.
Jackie
Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Originally Posted by thewatkins5
Hi We are also from Camberley, Surrey and have been in Melbourne, Australia for 2 1/2 years. My children went to Prior Heath Infant School, Crawley Ridge Junior School and Collingwood. Either of you have children at these schools?

Thanks Sharon
Hi Sharon,

My 3 girls were at Ravenscote and Tomlinscote, have been in Melbourne for almost 3 years.

Tracy