Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you.

Frankly, six weeks or even a month is ridiculous! One should be able to fly to the nearest consulate and renew in person the same day if necessary.
You can get an Emergency travel Document that way. UK PPs are now issued in the UK only and sent to your US address.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can get an Emergency travel Document that way. UK PPs are now issued in the UK only and sent to your US address.
Since you mentioned it, what is the criteria for obtaining an ETD? Does it have to be that a family member in the UK is critically ill or something similar? Where do you go to get one?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 2:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Since you mentioned it, what is the criteria for obtaining an ETD? Does it have to be that a family member in the UK is critically ill or something similar? Where do you go to get one?

This may help http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...61&postcount=5.

I don't think you need a reason...but you have to show that you have your travel dates. If you read the entire thread the above post belongs to you will find further info.

If you search the US forums you should be able to find a number of threads discussing ETDs.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 22nd 2013 at 2:13 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

This may help http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...61&postcount=5.

I don't think you need a reason...but you have to show that you have your travel dates. If you read the entire thread the above post belongs to you will find further info.

If you search the US forums you should be able to find a number of threads discussing ETDs.
Thank you.

It seems it is MUCH easier to get an ETD than a passport renewal. An ETD takes 40 minutes and a passport takes 4-6 weeks. Dreadful! I wonder who came up with the idea of having all passport applications processed through the UK? I actually prefer it that way because my passport up is nothing to do with the USA; it's just that it takes SO darned long.

Can you use an ETD to "stay" in the UK - or only to visit? I couldn't find that answer in the links nor on the consulate's web site.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 2:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you.

It seems it is MUCH easier to get an ETD than a passport renewal. An ETD takes 40 minutes and a passport takes 4-6 weeks. Dreadful! I wonder who came up with the idea of having all passport applications processed through the UK? I actually prefer it that way because my passport up is nothing to do with the USA; it's just that it takes SO darned long.

Can you use an ETD to "stay" in the UK - or only to visit? I couldn't find that answer in the links nor on the consulate's web site.
Google is your friend.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong, does this thread indicate that you have an imminent return date sorted and need your passport pronto
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 7:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You're unlikely to get an ETD if your passport expired 15 years ago.

Six weeks is the conservative maximum waiting time for a passport. Providing your application is in order you'll probably receive your passport within two to four weeks.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You're unlikely to get an ETD if your passport expired 15 years ago.

Six weeks is the conservative maximum waiting time for a passport. Providing your application is in order you'll probably receive your passport within two to four weeks.
Thank you!!!!! Everything is in order with my old passport and application. Nothing has changed and all very simple.

Would it be acceptable to include a fee for them to overnight/express it back to me? (This is what I did when I renewed my US passport but there was an option on the application to request express return.)

Last edited by windsong; Oct 24th 2013 at 1:59 am.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!!!!! Everything is in order with my old passport and application. Nothing has changed and all very simple.

Would it be acceptable to include a fee for them to overnight/express it back to me? (This is what I did when I renewed my US passport but there was an option on the application to request express return.)
There are companies who will express for you for an extra $100 or so.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
There are companies who will express for you for an extra $100 or so.
Do you know, I forgot all about those places. I have used them many times in the business sector but it didn't occur to me to use them for my own needs. They also check the application to make sure it is correct; however, $100 is pretty steep. It's worth a call, though, to find out how much using their services could speed up the process.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know, I forgot all about those places. I have used them many times in the business sector but it didn't occur to me to use them for my own needs. They also check the application to make sure it is correct; however, $100 is pretty steep. It's worth a call, though, to find out how much using their services could speed up the process.
My son was going on a European trip after graduation from high school. His passport had somehow found itself on the kitchen floor.......the is many years ago as he is now 42. My only dog at that time (chihuahua) chewed off the corner where the ID # was.....an express passport company saved his trip.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I checked DHL held the contract, though it may be Fedex in the US? You can send it by courier from your end if you like. Just remember to include your full birth certificate and a photocopy of your US passport.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Last time I checked DHL held the contract, though it may be Fedex in the US? You can send it by courier from your end if you like. Just remember to include your full birth certificate and a photocopy of your US passport.
Why do they need a copy of the US PP? My UK PP will need renewing In a couple of years...as I am now a USC to I have to send a copy if my US PP?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Karma_Babe is an unknown quantity at this point

How long does it take to renew a passport? A month?

My passport expired 15 years ago and, according to a comment on another thread, it will be treated as if I was applying for a brand new passport which, I assume, will lengthen the time.

Can anyone give a ballpark timeframe?

I'm British Born and I've been living in the Netherlands for five years ... passport renewal started in MAY and I'm still waiting today and it's Oct 25th 2013, despite an interview and proof that I am who I say I am. *PROOF FROM ENGLAND!! and I have my National Heath Card and I'm an ex police woman - complaints procedure doesn't work.

Now I am forced to kiss goodbye to my job return to the U.K because of this nightmare so I have no encouragement to give you dear.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 5:07 pm

Why do they need a copy of the US PP? My UK PP will need renewing In a couple of years...as I am now a USC to I have to send a copy if my US PP?
They actually ask you to send any foreign passports you hold in. A photocopy with a covering note will suffice however.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._Gp1_08.13.pdf

Originally Posted by Karma_Babe
I'm British Born and I've been living in the Netherlands for five years ... passport renewal started in MAY and I'm still waiting today and it's Oct 25th 2013, despite an interview and proof that I am who I say I am. *PROOF FROM ENGLAND!! and I have my National Heath Card and I'm an ex police woman - complaints procedure doesn't work.

Now I am forced to kiss goodbye to my job return to the U.K because of this nightmare so I have no encouragement to give you dear.
Sounds like a nightmare although very strange. Did you give you any explanation why they doubted your identity? Did you apply to Paris or Durham?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.