Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Will my son be able to pass on British citizenship to his children?

Will my son be able to pass on British citizenship to his children?

Old May 22nd 2020, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light
Question Will my son be able to pass on British citizenship to his children?

Hello,

My son was born overseas, however I was born and raised in the UK and am a British Citizen. We have since moved back to the UK and he has a British passport that states 'British Citizen' on it. Does that mean that he has the same legal rights as me? I heard before that he must stay in the UK for two years before any of his children are British Citizens when they are born. Can anyone clarify this for me? Do we need to apply for anything at the end of these two years?

Thanks,
Mark
Old May 22nd 2020, 1:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my son be able to pass on British citizenship to his children?

You have confused a couple of routes that would lead to your grandchildren being British.

If your grandchild is born in the UK, the child will be as British as you are, and able to pass on citizenship to their children no matter where in the world they are born, same as any other child born in the UK of parents legally able to live in the UK.

If your son remains in the UK for three years before his children are born outside the UK then they will be as British as he was (prior to him living the UK for three years) - in other words they will be entitled to a British passport, but cannot pass on citizenship to their children.
Old May 22nd 2020, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Will my son be able to pass on British citizenship to his children?

Thank you so much. How is this three-year period checked?