Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Will my American girlfriend have any trouble at immigration?

Will my American girlfriend have any trouble at immigration?

Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

AFishbowl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will my American girlfriend have any trouble at immigration?

Hi all,

I recently returned to England following a year in America with my USG. When we arrived, she was questioned as to why she was spending more than a week (it was 8 days) in the UK before she left to participate on an archeological dig in Italy. A week on saturday she is returning to England for another 6 weeks with me before flying to America for a couple of weeks, before returning back to England for a week or so, and then we're both moving on to mainland Europe.

She has just graduated university and we're both going to be travelling around mainland Europe from the beginning of September, so she doesn't really have any proof of returning home. It's all above board and neither of us have any intention of staying in England. We just want to see my family and friends and do some sightseeing in England before moving on.

However, the initial immigration experience has us curious about her return. Is her frequency and length of visits likely to cause any problems at immigration? Might evidence of onward travel ease her arrival?

Many thanks,

Rob.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my American girlfriend have any trouble at immigration?

Possibly.

Your chances improve if you carry proof of onward travel, hotel/trip reservations, sufficient funds, etc.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

AFishbowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. She'll have a flight to USA booked for around 6 weeks after she lands in the UK, and will have a number of credit cards to prove she can support herself.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Proof of booked onward travel is always helpful as is an itinerary of what you will be doing in the UK and after you leave. Any bookings in Europe for travel or accommodation after your proposed departure date will also be helpful. There's no hard and fast rules but if you go prepared it will make life a lot easier.