British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Wife's parents want to visit UK when she moves here (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/wifes-parents-want-visit-uk-when-she-moves-here-925101/)

mark_sheffield May 20th 2019 7:43 am

Wife's parents want to visit UK when she moves here

Hello,

My wife has been granted her settlement visa and has booked her flight ticket to join me here in the UK. She will be moving to the UK along with my son in 10 days time :cool:

The problem now is her parents want to come with her to "drop her off" so to speak. This is mainly to understand what the UK is like and see the environment that she will be living in. They have already booked their tickets to travel with my wife. I can completely understand their feelings and I would want to do the same thing if I was in their shoes. However for question 18 on my wife's completed settlement visa application form we stated that she would be travelling to the UK alone with my son. I am now worried that if she turns up with her two parents in tow it is going to cause problems at Immigration. My parents-in-law hold Taiwanese passports and plan to enter the UK on visa-free status. They have already booked their return tickets.

Do I need to contact someone at the Home Office about this? I'm really worried that they're all going to get turned away at the airport and my last three months of hard work/expense is all going to be wasted.

Please advise if you can.

Thanks,

Mark

BritInParis May 20th 2019 12:13 pm

Re: Wife's parents want to visit UK when she moves here

You’re overthinking it; it’s nothing to worry about.

SanDiegogirl May 20th 2019 5:32 pm

I think there could be some questions asked regarding parents accompanying another person, where that other person is entering on a visa to live in the UK.

Personally, I would ensure the parents are carrying evidence of their lives in Taiwan which will ensure their return to Taiwan.

spouse of scouse May 20th 2019 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12686435)

Personally, I would ensure the parents are carrying evidence of their lives in Taiwan which will ensure their return to Taiwan.

So would I. Belts and braces!

Pulaski May 20th 2019 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12686219)
You’re overthinking it; it’s nothing to worry about.

Agreed. The in-laws are visitors on return tickets, which has nothing to do with your wife who is on an immigrant visa. At very least if anyone is going to be questioned it will be the in-laws not the OP's wife.