Where to start??

Old May 26th 2011, 2:35 am
Just Joined

BritInCanada82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start??

I am hoping to move back home to the UK after living in Canada for almost 6 years now with my Husband, in a few years time when his sons from his previous marriage have reached 18 and done school I am hoping to get a visa for my Husband to live with me in the UK, We have a 4 1/2 year old daughter together and thankfully she was born with Dual Citizenship so its just my Husband that needs a Visa!

I am really confused with all the Visa Options available for the UK! I am unsure which route to take! My Husband is worried about his age, in 3 years time he will be 42 and is unsure how easy it will be for him to find work! He is at an advantage where his Grandfather was born in Wales so has the option to apply for a 5 year Ancestry Visa.

Where do you start with planning such a move? I am aware it is costly which is why moving in 3 years time is plenty enough time to plan financially, we dont have a house to sell, or much in the way to ship to the UK.

Any one here with any advice on the best way to plan such a move?
Old May 26th 2011, 3:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start??

Are you also a Canadian citizen? If not, now is a good time to get your citizenship.
Old May 26th 2011, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have thought a spouse visa would be the best choice, it would lead to permanent residency and citizenship (3 years) much quicker than an ancestry visa.
Old May 26th 2011, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I'd have thought a spouse visa would be the best choice, it would lead to permanent residency and citizenship (3 years) much quicker than an ancestry visa.
It could potentially mean "permanent residency" (ILR) straight away for the OP's husband - if he is able to take a trip to the UK before applying for the visa and passing the Life in the UK test (KOL). No expiry on the test, so it could be done earlier rather than later, as they're intending on applying in about 3 years time.

Of course, if rules change then this way of obtaining ILE/ILR straight away for a spouse may also either change or not exist by then. Currently if the couple have been married & living outside the UK for at least 4 years, then what I mention above is in the rules as they currently stand.
Old May 26th 2011, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

BritInCanada82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you also a Canadian citizen? If not, now is a good time to get your citizenship.
One of the reasons we are not able to go right away is due to not having Canadian Citizenship yet, I am not eligible until November 2012, I will most definitely be applying for it!

Thank you for your replies,

For the spouse Visa what financial restrictions are there? I have looked at the application and it looks the same as the one I filled out for my Canadian Residency. My Husband had to prove he earned enough per year to sponsor me, is it the same for me to sponsor my Husband to go to the UK?
Old May 26th 2011, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BritInCanada82
For the spouse Visa what financial restrictions are there? I have looked at the application and it looks the same as the one I filled out for my Canadian Residency. My Husband had to prove he earned enough per year to sponsor me, is it the same for me to sponsor my Husband to go to the UK?
There's no set figure for the UK Spouse visa, each case is done on its own merits. If you both want to go together rather than you going ahead and getting a job, you could probably get the visa with enough savings for 6 months and both your CVs to show you are employable. Or get a relative to co-sponsor. They don't need to do an affadavit of support or anything like that, just a letter to say they agree to support your husband if he needs it, plus their bank statements, payslips, letter from employer etc. Basically the same stuff you would provide.
Old May 26th 2011, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

PS For the UK you need to prove you have housing too. If you are staying with relatives you'll need a letter from them and proof they legally occuply the property (lease, deed, mortgage papers etc etc)