Where should we put the savings?

Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road
Default Where should we put the savings?

Hi all,

Currently living in Doha and are looking to move all of our savings from HSBC. This will be the DO NOT TOUCH account and wondered if any of you could give me some advice as to where is best please.
Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Where should we put the savings?

Originally Posted by Crewegirl
Hi all,

Currently living in Doha and are looking to move all of our savings from HSBC. This will be the DO NOT TOUCH account and wondered if any of you could give me some advice as to where is best please.
Thanks
Jam jar. Kitchen cupboard.

OR

Envelope under mattress

OR

Sealed plastic bag in the cistern.

These are the only safe places, unless there is a fire.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Jam jar. Kitchen cupboard.
OR
Envelope under mattress
OR
Sealed plastic bag in the cistern.
These are the only safe places, unless there is a fire.
...or a burst pipe or a burglary or you have a light fingered maid or... You are presumably joking, Scamp. My advice is to have a chat with Meow, who will point you in the right direction for sure.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Thank you
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mentalist
... You are presumably joking, Scamp..
How did you know?

Back to the UK to a savings account?

Offshore account?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks

It depends on many factors, including access required, views on risk, other assets, age, time remaining as expats.

In short, if you require access in the next few years it should remain in cash, offshore.

Happy to advise if you want to contact me.

Edited to add - watch out for people trying to flog you long term regular savings plans or anyone who tells you there are no risks, returns are guaranteed or even those who chase business. Check out the person who deal with very carefully. Caveat emptor!

Last edited by Meow; Mar 11th 2013 at 11:39 am. Reason: Added warnings
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Imack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really nice

Hi Crewegirl, I'm an advisor based in Doha - I've sent you a PM with my contact details, delighted to be able to help you if you want to give me a call.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:36 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Classy

not
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Imack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Meow
Classy

not
Sorry? How did my reply differ from yours exactly? I've not once tried to advertise on this forum, was offering to help someone who has specifically asked for advice.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:41 am
Bored liberal

You contacted them. I always wait for anyone to contact me and give free advice on the boards, as I have done for years.

Worlds apart.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Already have an off shore account but was hoping to move to make it work harder over the next 4-6 years.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:51 am
Bored liberal

Already have an off shore account but was hoping to move to make it work harder over the next 4-6 years.
Five years is really the minimum for investment these days as we are in volatile times. Depending on the amount and the other factors mentioned earlier, you could consider investing, but just need to make sure you have the right plans for you.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

You contacted them. I always wait for anyone to contact me and give free advice on the boards, as I have done for years.

Worlds apart.
Nothing like taking the moral high ground.....

I offered to provide advice to someone in good faith as someone who was local, as I always have done in my last 22 years in financial services.......I offered my number to Crewegirl for a chat, I even backed up what you said about short term goals being limited to offshore savings accounts only. Just for the record I have never 'flogged regular savings plans', or told anyone that anything with risk involved was risk free or guaranteed....have had to pick the pieces up too many times from advisors who have done just that.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:54 am
Bored liberal

Someone doth protest too much
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Someone doth protest too much
So I'm not supposed to reply to you, even if I think you're out of order?

Not getting into an argument as I'm obviously never going to win.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.