When would I have to enter the UK after getting visa?

Old Feb 14th 2017, 10:23 am
Just Joined

usanomad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When would I have to enter the UK after getting visa?

First question: If my UK husband gets me (US) a spouse settlement visa, how long would I have until I need to actually enter the UK? I've heard 3 months, but I can't find that anywhere official.

Now here's the more confusing part: I'm American, working in Asia. He is a UK citizen working in the UK. With his salary plus my savings, we have enough for the financial requirement. We would really like him to move to Asia with me for a few months before we both move to the UK, but he would have no salary in Thailand, so we wouldn't be able to get a UK visa afterwards. We're wondering if we can apply for the visa while he's working in England, and then come over to Asia for a few months while I already have my UK visa. Would that work?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:33 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When would I have to enter the UK after getting visa?

Originally Posted by usanomad
First question: If my UK husband gets me (US) a spouse settlement visa, how long would I have until I need to actually enter the UK? I've heard 3 months, but I can't find that anywhere official.

Now here's the more confusing part: I'm American, working in Asia. He is a UK citizen working in the UK. With his salary plus my savings, we have enough for the financial requirement. We would really like him to move to Asia with me for a few months before we both move to the UK, but he would have no salary in Thailand, so we wouldn't be able to get a UK visa afterwards. We're wondering if we can apply for the visa while he's working in England, and then come over to Asia for a few months while I already have my UK visa. Would that work?
As I understand it, (1) when you apply for the spousal visa you will be asked to name an intended date of arrival in the UK. You must wait until 3 months before that date to apply. And (2) you must arrive within 30 days of the date the visa is granted.

However, the salary financial requirements are referenced to the date of application, not the date of the visa being issued, so I believe that if you're confident that the application will go through, you can apply whenever you wish and then (depending on your level of acceptable risk) he could leave the UK to join you for the period the process takes and you could return together within 30 days of completion.

Experts will confirm or deny.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:37 am
Just Joined

usanomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
As I understand it, (1) when you apply for the spousal visa you will be asked to name an intended date of arrival in the UK. You must wait until 3 months before that date to apply. And (2) you must arrive within 30 days of the date the visa is granted.

However, the salary financial requirements are referenced to the date of application, not the date of the visa being issued, so I believe that if you're confident that the application will go through, you can apply whenever you wish and then (depending on your level of acceptable risk) he could leave the UK to join you for the period the process takes and you could return together within 30 days of completion.

Experts will confirm or deny.
Thank you!
Old Feb 14th 2017, 12:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Novocastrian is correct. You can specify a date up to three months in advance and you will need to enter the UK within 30 days of this date or the date your visa is granted, whichever is later. Bear in mind that you won't have your passport during the application process so if you are currently in Thailand then that's fine. If you are elsewhere in Asia then you'll have to wait until a decision is made before you are able to travel.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 12:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Novocastrian is correct.
Phew.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 12:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Phew.
- exactly my reaction when BiP says I've got it right