When to apply for a partner visa?

Old Feb 26th 2014, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

warrend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to apply for a partner visa?

Hi there,

I'm British and my wife is a New Zealander.

My wife and I are living together in NZ at the moment, which unfortunately isn't working out. So, soon I will be moving back to the UK and starting a job which should meet the financial requirements for my wife to get a UK partner visa.

I understand I have to be in this role for 6 months to prove I have a steady income.

But, can we start the visa application process at any time (i.e. now)? And just submit the financial side once the 6 months have passed? Or can the entire process only begin once those 6 months are up?

It would be nice, after 6 months apart, if we could have already got most of the visa process completed and be together shortly after the financial side has been proven.

One other question - the UKBA websites states you must show evidence that you "are living together with your partner". How is this even possible when you're forced to live apart for 6 months? Does this mean we should start the application process now, whilst we actually are living together?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to apply for a partner visa?

You apply when you have the 6 months evidence of your employment.

The UKBA understands about one spouse needing to enter the UK to work for the 6 months period if that is what the application is to be based on.

In your application you provide details of your marriage, relationship etc prior to the move.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Hi Warend,
As I understand it, your wife can not apply anytime before three months before you intended leave date.
Cheers
Nigel
Old Feb 26th 2014, 1:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Are you working at the moment? If you have been for the last six months earning more than NZ$37500 pa and you have a job offer in the UK that will pay more than £18,600 pa then your wife would qualify already under the financial requirements and you could return together to the UK.

My usual query: does your wife have any British, Irish or other European-born parents or grandparents? If so she may be eligible for a passport or ancestry visa which would allow you to bypass the spousal visa.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

warrend is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, all are really useful.

BritInParis - nope, unfortunately I haven't earned enough over the last few months to go down that route. My wife doesn't have any ancestral ties to the UK or Europe either... So I guess we're just going to have to take the long road.