British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   What to put for wife's address (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/what-put-wifes-address-947336/)

booogg Mar 7th 2023 12:15 pm

What to put for wife's address

Myself, my wife and youngest son moved back to the UK in August 2022 from Thailand, with my wife on a visit visa's, my eldest my step son is also on a visit visa and he arrived later in October. We've been living together in the UK for 6 months up until February 2023, first at one address which I rented on a 6 month shorthold and we stayed for 4 months (she wasn't on the tenancy agreement there but was on council tax). Then at an address we rented together on a 12 month lease from December 2022, she is on the tenancy agreement for the new property.

Prior to Aug 2022 we lived together for 9 years at our home in Thailand which we own, along with our two sons. She flew back to Thailand in mid Feb 2023, my eldest (my step son) will fly to see her tomorrow to stay at our house in Thailand and will they will hopefully return later in March on partner / dependent visa's to rejoin my youngest son and I at our house in the UK.

I'm currently filling in the application form for these visa's, on my partner visa application it asked for my wife's current address. Do I put our house in Thailand as her current address as that's where she is currently staying for the 6 weeks to prep required documents for visa, and my step son who is staying at our home in Thailand for the next two weeks while we apply, or do I put our house in the UK where we've been staying together up until February 2023 and will be back staying later in March?

I put the Thailand address so far, but I'm second guessing what to put here. It asks in the same section, is your husband traveling to the UK with you, then later in the application it asks... why aren't you living with your partner? I put for this answer that we normally are living together and state the addresses and date ranges in the UK and Thailand we've lived together. But is this correct, or should I put the UK address we've been staying at together up until February?

SanDiegogirl Mar 7th 2023 3:37 pm

Re: What to put for wife's address

You input the address in Thailand which is where your wife is living now. She was only visiting you last year on a visitor visa.

booogg Mar 7th 2023 4:07 pm

Thank you so much!

booogg Mar 7th 2023 4:13 pm

Just one other quick question, for this section...

Dependant details
Do you have any dependant children?
Include both those travelling with you and those who are not.

On my wife's partner visa application, does she just put her Thai son (my step son) who is applying for a dependant visa? I assume here, I do not add our youngest son (my biological son) who is British citizen, is this correct?

SanDiegogirl Mar 7th 2023 4:38 pm

She puts both .....

BritInParis Mar 7th 2023 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13177948)
She puts both .....

British citizen children shouldn’t be mentioned.

Pulaski Mar 7th 2023 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 13177949)
British citizen children shouldn’t be mentioned.

Agreed. It's slightly counterintuitive, but although your son is part of your family relocating to the UK, as he is British, his existence is irrelevant for immigration purposes.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13177935)
You input the address in Thailand which is where your wife is living now. She was only visiting you last year on a visitor visa.

​​​​​​​Agreed, for the purpose of visas and immigration, there is an important distinction between where you are living (for strict immigration purposes), and where you are "living" while visiting (whether or not a visa is required). In other words, never say you are "living" somewhere when you are (legally) only visiting.

booogg Mar 7th 2023 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13177952)
Agreed. It's slightly counterintuitive, but although your son is part of your family relocating to the UK, as he is British, his existence is irrelevant for immigration purposes.Agreed, for the purpose of visas and immigration, there is an important distinction between where you are living (for strict immigration purposes), and where you are "living" while visiting (whether or not a visa is required). In other words, never say you are "living" somewhere when you are (legally) only visiting.

Thank you all for the charity on this, really appreciated!

I did think it was likely the case that I should leave my British son out of that section when it worded it as 'dependents'. There is a question at the end of the form which asks if there's any other residents at my house in the UK where I can add my other son.

I had put our Thailand address as her current address but was second guessing myself. Thanks for the clarity on this. I'll change the wording slightly in my answer regarding that 'why I'm not living with my partner question' , stating she was visiting rather than living with me me over the last 6 months.

I do have some documents I was planning on including in the application as evidence including the lease agreement for our current UK address which has both our names on. Our landlord had insisted on both our names being on when we signed. A little known fact... on a visit visa you do in fact have the right to rent, I called up the UK visa helpline at the time and they confirmed it referring me to the online documentation on how right to rent checks should be done in this case. I also wanted to include a council tax bill from the previous UK rental with both our names on. For our Thai address, I was going to include a international school fee's invoice with both our names and Thai address on. Do these all sound ok to use for evidence of living together / relationship? Obviously also including marriage certificate.

BritInParis Mar 7th 2023 10:17 pm

Without knowing what documentation you have it’s difficult to advise but your youngest son’s birth certificate would be a useful addition. Marriages of convenience tend not to produce children.

booogg Mar 8th 2023 10:21 am

Thanks! Yes my wife's got a copy of the his birth certificate and copy of his passport in the document pile. I'm sure all that will be enough