Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

What documents do I need to apply for a British passport for my baby born in the U.S

What documents do I need to apply for a British passport for my baby born in the U.S

Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Luxury_StarXX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What documents do I need to apply for a British passport for my baby born in the U.S

My boyfriend is currently in the U.K, I am currently in the U.S pregnant with our baby girl. I'm planning to come over to the U.K on a fiance visa after the baby is born. We want to get the baby's her British passport but we are unsure what documents we need to submit. I have checked the table on what documents to submit but I'm still confused. This will be the baby's first British passport and the baby has citizenship from her father as my boyfriend is a british citizen otherwise by descent (he was born in the U.K and so were his parent's and grandparent's). We do know we have to submit my boyfriend's long form British birth certificate, 2 recent identical passport photos of the baby with a countersignature, but we are unsure of the following...since my boyfriend is in the U.K we are not sure if he will be here for the baby's birth does he need to have his name on the baby's U.S birth certificate? Do we need to submit any documents from his parent's such as birth certificates and their marriage certificate (they are divorced though)? Also will we be asked for any kind of DNA paternity test or will his name on the baby's U.S birth certificate suffice? The birth certificates in the U.S do issue an acknowledgement of paternity but it's not a DNA paternity test, will that be alright? Do I need to submit my U.S birth certificate as well? I appreciate your response. If there's anything I left out please let me know, thank you.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What documents do I need to apply for a British passport for my baby born in the

If you're not a British citizen then your boyfriend's name will definitely need to be on the baby's birth certificate otherwise there will be no link between the baby and him and therefore no evidence that the baby can receive British citizenship by descent through him. I would confirm what the procedure is for an unmarried father acknowledging paternity of a child at birth with the relevant local authority if he will be out of the country when the baby is born. It may be that a letter from him will suffice.

Other than that you'll need the two passport photos that have been correctly endorsed on the back and your boyfriend's full British birth certificate. You won't need to submit any other documents from his side if both his parents were also born in the UK and your birth certificate won't be needed either if you're not British.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What documents do I need to apply for a British passport for my baby born in the

If he was born before 1 January 1983 you will not need to submit his parents birth certificates. Otherwise you will. Or, if not available, it is still possible, but more complicated.
Oh, and I think (not sure) that your birth certificate will be needed to prove where you were born, for the passport records. In case the country of your birth ever goes to war with the UK and your child becomes an enemy alien or some such nonsense.
You might have to give them photocopies of your hospital records (of the birth) so I suggest obtaining a copy, usually free from the hospital if you ask for them. The purpose is to prove the baby was not adopted by you both. Though (I guess) they probably won't ask if you apply for the passport within six months of the birth. But it cost nothing to be prepared.

As already intimated, it will be difficult if the father's name is not on the baby's birth certificate, but every state has its own rules on this.

Last edited by holly_1948; Dec 13th 2013 at 11:44 am.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

If at all possible he should be here for the birth, and immediately sign paternity acknowledgement while you and the baby are still in the hospital. He will need to be physically present in the hospital with proof of his identity. This is the easiest way to get his name as the father on the birth certificate. There is no requirement a paternity test to do this. To be honest the hospital doesn't really care if he is the biological father or not. If you both say he's the dad...then that's all it takes. It is a lot harder (expense & courts) to get the name added after the birth certificate has been issued.

You could call the hospital Labor and Delivery unit and ask to speak to the Birth Certificate clerk. They will tell you what you will need for the paternity Acknowledgment.

Last edited by DebzinUS; Dec 13th 2013 at 12:56 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by holly_1948
If he was born before 1 January 1983 you will not need to submit his parents birth certificates. Otherwise you will. Or, if not available, it is still possible, but more complicated.
Oh, and I think (not sure) that your birth certificate will be needed to prove where you were born, for the passport records. In case the country of your birth ever goes to war with the UK and your child becomes an enemy alien or some such nonsense.
You might have to give them photocopies of your hospital records (of the birth) so I suggest obtaining a copy, usually free from the hospital if you ask for them. The purpose is to prove the baby was not adopted by you both. Though (I guess) they probably won't ask if you apply for the passport within six months of the birth. But it cost nothing to be prepared.

As already intimated, it will be difficult if the father's name is not on the baby's birth certificate, but every state has its own rules on this.
My boyfriend was born 1992 so yes I was right we do need to submit his parent's birth certificates Thank You. We are planning to get both his parent's birth certificates and their marriage certificate on the General Register Office in England website. My boyfriend doesn't talk his mother for him to ask her for her birth certificate and his parents are divorced therefor we would need to get that online. I have already called the Department of Health and Vital Records here in New York and asked how I can get my boyfriend's name on her birth certificate if he's in the U.K, they informed me that I need to send him the acknowledgment of paternity form or he can download on the website, he'll fill out his portion and send it back to me so they can put his name down on the birth certificate. If they issue the birth certificate after the baby and I leave the hospital he can still fill out the acknowledgment of paternity form and I would have to go to the Department of Health in Manhattan and request to have a change on the birth certificate and submit the acknowledgment of paternity filled out by him and I and they will add his name on the birth certificate. I wanted to see if I can have the acknowledgment of paternity form already filled out at the hospital that way it won't take a long time to get his name on the birth certificate after it's issued cause that may take 30 to 90 days they told me.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luxury_StarXX
I wanted to see if I can have the acknowledgment of paternity form already filled out at the hospital
I would still see talk to the Birth Certificate clerk at the hospital where you will deliver. This person works for the hospital, but acts on behalf of the State. The State wants as many acknowledgements as possible completed. I have worked in maternity management positions for 20+ years, in several states. The state tracked our paternity "completion" rates, and we received quarterly results. The reason? The state then has a name they can go after for child support enforcement! Make sure the Paternity Acknowledgement is notarized if you bring it with you to the hospital.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably telling you something you already know, but it doesn't hurt to mention it. New York City issues its own birth certificates separate from the rest of New York State and they have their own rules. I just wanted you to know that in case you talked to Albany and the hospital is in NYC or vice versa so to speak. You know what I mean. It's some historical quirk. Or at least it was that way 10 years ago and probably has not changed.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
... Make sure the Paternity Acknowledgement is notarized if you bring it with you to the hospital.
Do you mean a sworn declaration in front of a Commissioner for Oaths? (In practice that means witnessed at a Solicitor's). They don't have notaries in the UK where the dad is.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Do you mean a sworn declaration in front of a Commissioner for Oaths? (In practice that means witnessed at a Solicitor's). They don't have notaries in the UK where the dad is.
No, I mean notarized. I have had documents notarized in the UK for use in the US. A quick Google search will verify
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I would still see talk to the Birth Certificate clerk at the hospital where you will deliver. This person works for the hospital, but acts on behalf of the State. The State wants as many acknowledgements as possible completed. I have worked in maternity management positions for 20+ years, in several states. The state tracked our paternity "completion" rates, and we received quarterly results. The reason? The state then has a name they can go after for child support enforcement! Make sure the Paternity Acknowledgement is notarized if you bring it with you to the hospital.
The Department of Health in New York just told me that he needed 2 witnesses to sign the acknowledgement of paternity they didn't tell me anything about notarizing it, but I will ask the hospital and call the Department of Health after I check in with the hospital. Thank You
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Luxury_StarXX
The Department of Health in New York just told me that he needed 2 witnesses to sign the acknowledgement of paternity they didn't tell me anything about notarizing it, but I will ask the hospital and call the Department of Health after I check in with the hospital. Thank You
You do have a little different situation, but you are being proactive Good luck!