British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Wedding ceremony (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/wedding-ceremony-916167/)

Shadowfair Aug 16th 2018 9:00 pm

Wedding ceremony

hi guys,

just thinking of next steps. Once fiance visa is granted and we are married in the uk, does it have to be a big party?

we are thinking of a night out with family (10 people or so)

do we have to again prove it is a subsisting relation ship and as such hire expensive venues etc or is that proven by gettinf fiance visa?

do we have to provide chat logs? We won’t have them as we live together and don’t need to keep texting each other

this is a big stress for us as I am not sure whether inhave to spend 2-3 k for a party for sake of ukvi or we can simply have a night out and go on holiday

SanDiegogirl Aug 16th 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Wedding ceremony

A marriage certificate and a few photos will suffice.

Shadowfair Aug 16th 2018 10:25 pm

can that be a photo of us in a restaurant with family members and cake?

would they not turn around and say you need to have wedding ceremony etc ?

SanDiegogirl Aug 16th 2018 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfair (Post 12549588)
can that be a photo of us in a restaurant with family members and cake?

would they not turn around and say you need to have wedding ceremony etc ?

???? If you are getting married in the UK, then there is going to be wedding ceremony isn't there? A marriage in a registry office with just the couple and the registrar is a wedding ceremony is it not? Surely someone is going to take some photos of you at the ceremony? holding the certificate? smiling together in the registry? .........

Shadowfair Aug 16th 2018 11:26 pm

Well yes because you attend the regustry office and can take photos

what i meant was, do you need to a ceremony such as booking a venue etc or simply a council register and night out with family member for a dinner is ok?

Dorothy Aug 17th 2018 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfair (Post 12549610)
Well yes because you attend the regustry office and can take photos

what i meant was, do you need to a ceremony such as booking a venue etc or simply a council register and night out with family member for a dinner is ok?

Of course a registry wedding is ok. Where on the regulations does it say you need a huge expensive wedding ceremony?

Shadowfair Aug 17th 2018 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12549628)
Of course a registry wedding is ok. Where on the regulations does it say you need a huge expensive wedding ceremony?

not sure hence why i am asking

i was nervous so really wanted to know

Dorothy Aug 17th 2018 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfair (Post 12549631)

not sure hence why i am asking

i was nervous so really wanted to know

I have been married twice. I never had a "wedding" with either spouse. First was just a couple of friends at a pub and the second was 6 of us (plus our baby daughter) at a park.

You do not need a large reception or hundreds of guests for a genuine marriage.

Shadowfair Aug 17th 2018 2:50 am

Cool

what did you submit in evidence?

Dorothy Aug 17th 2018 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfair (Post 12549680)
Cool

what did you submit in evidence?

I did't submit any evidence. I am not applying for a UK visa.

You can only submit what you have. If you want and can afford a large wedding then have a large wedding. If you want a small wedding then have a small wedding.

Nora_ Aug 17th 2018 6:45 am

Shadowfair, thanks for the thread as I was wondering exactly the same once my partner's fiance visa granted (hopefully).
We were thinking of night out in the UK after the registry ceremony. Also, worried that if we need to provide receipts for venue booking, catering, cake, dress/suit and flower bookings on top of our marriage certificate.

Again, after him moving to the UK, we will be living together as Fiance too, and we might not have chat logs.

But on the bright side, we are planning to get married at first available date and switch to spouse visa, this way we can use some of our documents from fiance visa application.

BTW, once fiance visa granted, will you be applying through gov.uk new beta website?
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/

or traditional way through the post?

BritInParis Aug 17th 2018 9:54 am

When my cousin married her Canadian husband in the UK on a fiance visa in 2011 it was a family only affair and only family members from my cousin's side were able to attend. The total number of guests was less than 20. The ceremony was held at the local registry office with the reception in the upstairs room of a nearby country pub. We had cupcakes instead of a wedding cake and I think my uncle put the whole thing on his credit card. They've now been happily married for seven years, own their own home, he's become a British citizen and they've had two boys. To the present day my mother, the arch-critic, describes it as one of the nicest weddings she's been to. You don't need a lavish affair for the relationship to be considered genuine nor for the marriage to be successful.