Wanting UK passport

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:54 am
Just Joined

pendle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting UK passport

Hello,
New to forum looking for info. I have tried searching but have not found info specific to me.

I am a US born citizen in 1977.
Father born US (Mother/ Father born UK)
Mother born UK (Mother/ Father born UK) currently a Britsh Citizen.

My question is whether I would be able to apply for a UK passport being I was born before 1983 and my father was not born in the UK. If I understood what I read, my mother cannot extend that right because of the immigration laws at the current time. I am thinking of moving to England and would like to have things sorted before I decide to move.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting UK passport

You appear to be eligible for registration as a British citizen (by descent):
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...britishmother/

If you're in the USA, application must be sent to the British Embassy. They will forward it to the Home Office for a decision.

Once registered as a British citizen, you may apply for a British passport.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
You appear to be eligible for registration as a British citizen (by descent):
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...britishmother/

If you're in the USA, application must be sent to the British Embassy. They will forward it to the Home Office for a decision.

Once registered as a British citizen, you may apply for a British passport.
Thank you JAJ.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you JAJ.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pendle
Hello,
New to forum looking for info. I have tried searching but have not found info specific to me.

I am a US born citizen in 1977.
Father born US (Mother/ Father born UK)
Mother born UK (Mother/ Father born UK) currently a Britsh Citizen.

My question is whether I would be able to apply for a UK passport being I was born before 1983 and my father was not born in the UK. If I understood what I read, my mother cannot extend that right because of the immigration laws at the current time. I am thinking of moving to England and would like to have things sorted before I decide to move.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
The changes to the law state:

"people born outside the UK after 7 February 1961 and before 1 January 1983 to a British-citizen mother, who herself was British otherwise than by descent, will qualify to register as British citizens by descent. So the historical sexual discrimination in the law will be partially corrected."

So, it looks like you qualify.

http://www.southern-cross-group.org/...April_2003.pdf

Last edited by johnh009; Jan 24th 2009 at 1:46 pm.