Wanting to return to the UK after 9 years

Old Jun 3rd 2018, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

KGailis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanting to return to the UK after 9 years

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yes.

You certainly will need your grandparent's marriage certificate. Your husband will if he has a route to citizenship; he won't need it for a UK Ancestry visa.
Thank you. So what other documents should I include in the application?
- My birth certificate
​​​​​​- My Mother’s birth certificate
​​​​​​- My Grandfathers birth certificate
​​​​​- My Grandparents marriage certificate
​​​​​​- My Mother’s death certificate??
- My marriage certificate

Would my husband be eligible to apply for British citizenship then because of his British grandmother?

Thank you 🙂
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 7:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KGailis
Thank you. So what other documents should I include in the application?
- My birth certificate
​​​​​​- My Mother’s birth certificate
​​​​​​- My Grandfathers birth certificate
​​​​​- My Grandparents marriage certificate
​​​​​​- My Mother’s death certificate??
- My marriage certificate

I would also enclose your parents' marriage certificate and any old British passports belonging to your mother. Death certificates aren't particularly necessary but you can throw them in for the sake of completeness (and also to show that you cannot obtain further information from either your mother or grandfather). You are also supposed to send your current passport but I would hold on to it and send a good quality certified colour photocopy of the bio-data page with a note attached saying that the original needs to be retained for travel purposes and is available on request if necessary. Otherwise you may be stranded without your passport for several months.

Would my husband be eligible to apply for British citizenship then because of his British grandmother?

Thank you � ����
That is something that is not yet clear. There are several test cases going through at the moment regarding historic gender discrimination in British nationality law. If it is not clearer by the time you wish to travel then your husband can always apply for a UK Ancestry visa and then either progress to naturalisation in the normal way or apply for citizenship through his grandmother should the law change in the meantime.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

I would also enclose your parents' marriage certificate and any old British passports belonging to your mother. Death certificates aren't particularly necessary but you can throw them in for the sake of completeness (and also to show that you cannot obtain further information from either your mother or grandfather). You are also supposed to send your current passport but I would hold on to it and send a good quality certified colour photocopy of the bio-data page with a note attached saying that the original needs to be retained for travel purposes and is available on request if necessary. Otherwise you may be stranded without your passport for several months.

That is something that is not yet clear. There are several test cases going through at the moment regarding historic gender discrimination in British nationality law. If it is not clearer by the time you wish to travel then your husband can always apply for a UK Ancestry visa and then either progress to naturalisation in the normal way or apply for citizenship through his grandmother should the law change in the meantime.
Thank you. I have my mothers divorce certificate, don’t think I have their marriage certificate. Will be ordering my Grandparents documents tomorrow so I can get this ball rolling :-)
Old Jun 6th 2018, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

I would also enclose your parents' marriage certificate and any old British passports belonging to your mother. Death certificates aren't particularly necessary but you can throw them in for the sake of completeness (and also to show that you cannot obtain further information from either your mother or grandfather). You are also supposed to send your current passport but I would hold on to it and send a good quality certified colour photocopy of the bio-data page with a note attached saying that the original needs to be retained for travel purposes and is available on request if necessary. Otherwise, you may be stranded without your passport for several months.

So it turns out I don't have my mothers' old British passport, but my siblings say it definitely said British Citizen in it. I have ordered my Grandfathers birth certificate, his death certificate and his marriage certificate. I need to know what else I would need to include to prove my mother was a citizen. I don't want to waste time sending it off if I am not going to get it. What would I need to write on the covering letter with the application?

Thanks again for always helping, you're an absolute lifesaver to all of us panicked people. :-)
Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

So it turns out I don't have my mothers' old British passport, but my siblings say it definitely said British Citizen in it. I have ordered my Grandfathers birth certificate, his death certificate and his marriage certificate. I need to know what else I would need to include to prove my mother was a citizen. I don't want to waste time sending it off if I am not going to get it. What would I need to write on the covering letter with the application?

Thanks again for always helping, you're an absolute lifesaver to all of us panicked people. :-)
A passport is not as important as birth and marriage certificates so as long as you have those you should be okay. Writing a covering letter is not a bad idea; I would make reference to the recent Supreme Court decision on which your eligibility rests, The Advocate General for Scotland v Romein.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

A passport is not as important as birth and marriage certificates so as long as you have those you should be okay. Writing a covering letter is not a bad idea; I would make reference to the recent Supreme Court decision on which your eligibility rests, The Advocate General for Scotland v Romein.
Thank you. My parents were married when I was born but then they got divorced in 1983. I have their divorce certificate which I will include.

The scottish documents have been dispatched, now the long wait for my mothers birth certificate from home affairs!!
Old Jun 7th 2018, 9:53 am

Thank you. My parents were married when I was born but then they got divorced in 1983. I have their divorce certificate which I will include.

The scottish documents have been dispatched, now the long wait for my mothers birth certificate from home affairs!!
And you have your parents’ marriage certificate?
Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

And you have your parents’ marriage certificate?

I have a certified copy of their marriage certificate. Hopefully, that will be sufficient. It was certified in 1992 when my mother requested it. I cannot bear the thought of having to request and wait for one from Home Affairs.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi BIP

Quick question. I was reading on GOV.UK site that if I am applying for Citizenship I have to do an IELTS test. Is this true? I don't have a degree, I went to College in the UK in 1998. I cannot believe they don't allow people to take a pre-test to see if they actually need to do it. It's R2500 and as far as I am concerned completely unnecessary considering English in my first language.

Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:19 am

Hi BIP

Quick question. I was reading on GOV.UK site that if I am applying for Citizenship I have to do an IELTS test. Is this true? I don't have a degree, I went to College in the UK in 1998. I cannot believe they don't allow people to take a pre-test to see if they actually need to do it. It's R2500 and as far as I am concerned completely unnecessary considering English in my first language.

South African citizens do need to prove their knowledge of English when applying for British citizenship in certain scenarios, e.g. naturalisation, however your type of application does not require it.

Read both the form and the guidance to give yourself a better understanding of what is required: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tizen-form-ukm
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

South African citizens do need to prove their knowledge of English when applying for British citizenship in certain scenarios, e.g. naturalisation, however your type of application does not require it.

Read both the form and the guidance to give yourself a better understanding of what is required: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tizen-form-ukm
super, thank you.