Wanting to return to the UK after 9 years

Old May 30th 2018, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

KGailis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanting to return to the UK after 9 years

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You're going to need that for either citizenship or an UK Ancestry visa. The fallback position would be to be included as a dependent on your husband's UK Ancestry visa.

Try applying to the General Register Office for your mother's consular/military birth certificate. If it doesn't exist then your fee will be refunded.
Thank you for all your help, I think the most time-consuming part of all of this is the documents. I will let you know how it goes.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

You're going to need that for either citizenship or an UK Ancestry visa. The fallback position would be to be included as a dependent on your husband's UK Ancestry visa.

Try applying to the General Register Office for your mother's consular/military birth certificate. If it doesn't exist then your fee will be refunded.
If I go the UK on a visitors visa can I apply for the British Citizenship when I get there?
Old May 31st 2018, 11:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KGailis
If I go the UK on a visitors visa can I apply for the British Citizenship when I get there?
Technically yes but I wouldn't recommend it. Far safer to complete the process in South Africa.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Technically yes but I wouldn't recommend it. Far safer to complete the process in South Africa.
Thanks, it’s just that trying to access records and documents from this side is proving complicated with the fees that have to be paid in pounds.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 11:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, it’s just that trying to access records and documents from this side is proving complicated with the fees that have to be paid in pounds.
You can pay by credit/debit card. Your bank will do the conversion for you.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 11:12 am

Something that hasn't been mentioned but should be is that you need to apply for permission to retain your South African citizenship before lodging your application. Failure to gain permission before you attend your citizenship ceremony will lead to an automatic loss of South African citizenship. You need to apply to the Department of Home Affairs.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Something that hasn't been mentioned but should be is that you need to apply for permission to retain your South African citizenship before lodging your application. Failure to gain permission before you attend your citizenship ceremony will lead to an automatic loss of South African citizenship. You need to apply to the Department of Home Affairs.
thanks for that, sitting at home affairs as we speak, trying to request my deceased mothers birth certificate!
Old Jun 1st 2018, 12:18 pm

thanks for that, sitting at home affairs as we speak, trying to request my deceased mothers birth certificate!
Hopefully saved you an extra trip then!
Old Jun 1st 2018, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do not have a credit card / or debit card that works overseas, as I know can be a problem in SA, your bank may issue prepaid credit cards. The amount will be automatically charged in rand though you pay in sterling.

Also for any hard to get civic affairs documents bunnyhop ( co za) are very good and obtain all sorts of documents, UK ones, as well as birth certificates from Zimbabwe (for any readers needing them and living in SA or elsewhere). They did that for a friend of mine.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by angie_329
If you do not have a credit card / or debit card that works overseas, as I know can be a problem in SA, your bank may issue prepaid credit cards. The amount will be automatically charged in rand though you pay in sterling.

Also for any hard to get civic affairs documents bunnyhop ( co za) are very good and obtain all sorts of documents, UK ones, as well as birth certificates from Zimbabwe (for any readers needing them and living in SA or elsewhere). They did that for a friend of mine.
Awesome thank you. I do have a credit card, it’s the service records that you have to include a cheque. I’ll definitely look at that bunny hop site as my husband is struggling to find his Grandparents marriage certificate.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome thank you. I do have a credit card, it’s the service records that you have to include a cheque. I’ll definitely look at that bunny hop site as my husband is struggling to find his Grandparents marriage certificate.
If your relatives in UK dont have chequebooks you can ask if a postal order will be accepted. They usually are. Then maybe someone can get it for you in the UK and include it for the service records request..
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/postal-orders
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by angie_329
If your relatives in UK dont have chequebooks you can ask if a postal order will be accepted. They usually are. Then maybe someone can get it for you in the UK and include it for the service records request..
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/postal-orders
Good idea, thank you
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 11:54 pm

Further to my self-correction on Gregsrequest's thread I should inform you that your grandfather's Crown service will have no effect on your ability to claim British citizenship as you were born before 1983. Thankfully for you, it was your mother was British by descent, not your father. A recent Supreme Court decision addressing historic gender discrimination in British nationality law means that you can still register as a British citizen as your mother would have been unable to register you within a year of your birth in order to enable you to have British citizenship as would had been possible if it was your father who a British citizen by descent.

https://www.doyleclayton.co.uk/resou...h-citizenship/

In short, you should proceed with your Form UKM application but you won't need to include evidence of your grandfather's Crown service.

A similar route may be available to your husband - can you give a rundown of his ancestry as you did for yourself in post #16?
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Further to my self-correction on Gregsrequest's thread I should inform you that your grandfather's Crown service will have no effect on your ability to claim British citizenship as you were born before 1983. Thankfully for you, it was your mother was British by descent, not your father. A recent Supreme Court decision addressing historic gender discrimination in British nationality law means that you can still register as a British citizen as your mother would have been unable to register you within a year of your birth in order to enable you to have British citizenship as would had been possible if it was your father who a British citizen by descent.

https://www.doyleclayton.co.uk/resou...h-citizenship/

In short, you should proceed with your Form UKM application but you won't need to include evidence of your grandfather's Crown service.

A similar route may be available to your husband - can you give a rundown of his ancestry as you did for yourself in post #16?
Hi BritInParis

Thanks for letting me know. I actually wondered after reading Greg’s post. So to clarify my mom was born 1945 in PE. Her father was Scottish and her mother South African. My Grandfather was born in 1920. On this basis I can apply for citizenship?

My husband was born in 1971 in South Africa. His father was born in 1944 in Witbank South Africa (he never applied for a British passport) and my husbands fathers mother was born in England in 1906. Her husband was born in Lithuania in 1900 we just don’t know the exact birh date. We know he died in April 1948 at age 48 so he must of been born within the first 4 months of that year.

Do we need our Grandparents marriage certificates? We have both requested the birth certificate of the British grandparent.

On my husbands fathers birth certificate is states his grandmothers maiden name so is the marriage certificate of his grandparents necessary?

Please let me know if you need any further information. Thank you so much for all you do, you’ve helped so many people 🙂
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 4:46 pm

Hi BritInParis

Thanks for letting me know. I actually wondered after reading Greg’s post. So to clarify my mom was born 1945 in PE. Her father was Scottish and her mother South African. My Grandfather was born in 1920. On this basis I can apply for citizenship?

Yes.

My husband was born in 1971 in South Africa. His father was born in 1944 in Witbank South Africa (he never applied for a British passport) and my husbands fathers mother was born in England in 1906. Her husband was born in Lithuania in 1900 we just don’t know the exact birh date. We know he died in April 1948 at age 48 so he must of been born within the first 4 months of that year.

Do we need our Grandparents marriage certificates? We have both requested the birth certificate of the British grandparent.

On my husbands fathers birth certificate is states his grandmothers maiden name so is the marriage certificate of his grandparents necessary?

Please let me know if you need any further information. Thank you so much for all you do, you’ve helped so many people 🙂
You certainly will need your grandparent's marriage certificate. Your husband will if he has a route to citizenship; he won't need it for a UK Ancestry visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.